Model Cars Magazine Forum

R2 budget killers

Not much here grabs my attention, as I have a backlog of kits and money is also very tight for me now. Wake me when they announce reissues of the MPC '82 Celica Supra and the AMT '95 Supra, as those two are great for kitbashes and parts swapin.

The 4 door Supernatural Impy is cool, but I imagine they'll show up at Hobby Lobby down the road since it's a popular licenced properly. I wait instead of plunking down $35+ at initial release then finding out they carry it months later and being cheaper with their coupons.  

Can't wait for the Supernatural Impala,  course all my LGS's are still closed. I would rather buy local, then order online,  but this might change it if the govt. doesn't open up the state soon. I'm  a super fan of Supernatural and have been waaaaaiiiiiiittttiiinnnggg for a 4 door 67 Impala to be made. I might also pick up the Ranchero for the Coke bonus parts. Some cool kits this month.

Jeff 

Just for fun, here's a '65 Fairlane 4-door "Modified Stocker" I snapped in Egypt. It was filling up at the gas station where we stopped almost every morning. Two-tone paint and an...interesting custom grille.  But it seems to have its stock hubcaps and they're in good shape, which is pretty amazing.  Accessory figures included Dad driving, Mom and 3 kids.

Img_6034.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

Let's compare the parts layout on the '65 Fairlane box to some original trees:

275679054_65fairlane5.jpg.f04e4109608645fcfe03d4f597e2f856.jpg

Looks like the stock wheelcovers may be back, along with both sets of valve covers. One of the two shifters was removed, along with the 13" chrome reverses and baby moons, taillights and hood ornament. Looks like the custom grille, custom front bumper and one (!) of the custom front bumperettes will return.

1435924049_65fairlane7.jpg.696b229c908689029dcc3a17798bfec3.jpg

The box art shows that the stock small-block 289 is all there...

971665612_65fairlane6.jpg.e7e148d20954f06ad3941fda52d8b484.jpg

...as well as the (I'm assuming) 427, although this time with a single 4-barrel manifold and one carburetor instead of the dual quad setup. Good idea to have both since some stocker classes wouldn't allow a big-block anyway.

385660232_65fairlane8.jpg.9b854dad92cb1a353b92321603f3412d.jpg

Finally, we're getting back the custom front and rear roll pans, the ductwork for the original dual quad setup, one (!) of the two hood scoops, custom license plaques, tow bar setup and chassis crossmember with driveshaft loop, but not the torque control arms.

One more thing: The glass unit has been restored to include a rear window.

All in all, Round2 gave us more value for this than they had to, so thanks guys!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Most of those custom parts, the rear window, and the stock engine minus air filter, were in the last couple of reissues of the Fairlane.  The stock wheel covers were not.  Those could be used on some trim levels of a '66 Fairlane.

The only one I have much interest in is the Supernatural Impala. If I think I can convert it to a two door pretty easily, I'll get one. Still, I'm going wait until I see a few of them built before I buy. 

I really wish Round2 would consider doing the '68 based on the '67 tool. It would be about the same cost as the Supernatural Impala. Just some extra interior pieces. 

I think like most, I'll get the more door '67 Impala and the '63 Ford XL is a must for old time sake. All of the others I actually have original issues in the stash. Since I haven't built them by now the chances of buying additional kits is very remote.  

17 hours ago, Freeman Cars said:

Did i see the topper/ bed shell on the back of the box, or is that the ice box? for the 1960 ranchero?

Yes, it was probably the new ice box. Only the "tonneau tarp" is included.

27 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The only one I have much interest in is the Supernatural Impala. If I think I can convert it to a two door pretty easily, I'll get one.

Two-door what?  There wasn't a two-door hardtop with that roofline, and the roof isn't tall enough for a sedan.

33 minutes ago, Mark said:

Two-door what?  There wasn't a two-door hardtop with that roofline, and the roof isn't tall enough for a sedan.

Either a Biscayne, Bel Air or Caprice. I already know the roof will need to be modified. That's why I stated, "if I can do it pretty easily." 

59 minutes ago, Mark said:

There is one in the "other" magazine...

I am STILL waiting for mine. :angry: (Got my "stimulus" check today, though.) 

Besides, I said the "first among US" to review the thing. B)

14 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Either a Biscayne, Bel Air or Caprice. I already know the roof will need to be modified. That's why I stated, "if I can do it pretty easily." 

Oh I am SO doing that. If I don't end up with something that looks close enough to stock, I'll call it a "phantom" body style. Improvise, adapt, overcome! And if all else fails, just lie! :lol:

I already have a resin '67 Biscayne 2dr sedan and '67 Caprice 2dr ht, so I'll probably build a stock '67 4dr ht from the new kit..    One of the resin casters was working on a '67 Bel Air or Biscayne 4dr sedan, definitely want one of those eventually. 

Edited by Rob Hall