Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 Mazda MX-5 Miata NA BRG Edition

21 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

That is looking great!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Beautiful!  That paint job is stunning - probably better than Mazda ever did them!  Looks great!

The chassis looks good too - looks like you dry-brushed the suspension parts?

Sure did! I think I always do a bit of dry brushing on most chassis parts, makes them look just a tiny bit more realistic.

8 hours ago, beeRS said:

And I thought it was shiny before you polished! Its looking amazing now.

Is the finish on the wheels the original kit plating?

Thank you! Yes, the wheel plating is original, and it does look good in person. 

Had to mix interior color to match the photo from the following colors:

49892850371_b50bd2d355_b.jpgIMG_1459 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Don't know the exact proportions, but I'd say something like 10:3:1

49892333063_15dd49a4b0_b.jpgIMG_1460 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Color turned out to be spot on, very pleased with it:

49884881367_6b34d8102a_b.jpgIMG_1538 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Detail painted all interior bits:

49892333008_7c2d103bee_b.jpgIMG_1551 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

Dashboard completed:

49893159742_8d74727136_b.jpgIMG_1559 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

And finished interior. Added some seatbelts since this is a convertible and interior will be easily seen.

49892850111_bd265b798b_b.jpgIMG_1590 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49892332858_f28db93cde_b.jpgIMG_1588 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49893159702_3a5b238b8a_b.jpgIMG_1587 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

49892332923_2b7bacca2a_b.jpgIMG_1585 by Italian Horses, on Flickr

I may be wrong about this, and it may not matter to you, but on my '95 M edition the top boot was tan. My '90 Package B and '94 Package A cars both had black boots. And...I remember that there was a big hoopla when the BRG was introduced because the interior was tan but the top was black. There's the point I can't remember,  was the boot tan or was it black? In either case,  your interior looks excellent. 

On 5/14/2020 at 11:24 AM, MININORTHFORDMAN said:

That Interior Looks Fantastic!!! And Ofcourse The Paint Job!

22 hours ago, kelson said:

Fantastic looking!,i'm surprised that you didn't flock the interior.?‍♂️

This was built for a contest on another scale model website where you supposed to build a Tamiya kit box-stock with just ONE aftermarket addition. I picked seatbelts. Plus, I don't have tan flocking!

21 hours ago, peekay said:

Beautifully clean work, a pleasure to watch.

19 hours ago, Zoom said:

Very nice, I like it.?

17 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Outstanding - and inspiring!  I really like the look of that interior!

Thank you all!

13 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I may be wrong about this, and it may not matter to you, but on my '95 M edition the top boot was tan. My '90 Package B and '94 Package A cars both had black boots. And...I remember that there was a big hoopla when the BRG was introduced because the interior was tan but the top was black. There's the point I can't remember,  was the boot tan or was it black? In either case,  your interior looks excellent. 

Thank you! You could pick the boot color I'm sure. I'm not trying to build a replica of a particular car, and I admit I didn't spend much time researching the color options - tan just wouldn't look right in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, beeRS said:

Great looking interior. The tan paint mix looks perfect to me. Did you add something to the finish to give it a very slight sheen?

Not really, I just reduced the paint with 91% isopropyl instead of the actual thinner, and it dries a bit faster creating a bit of a sheen with flat acrylics.

11 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Looking fantastic 

Thanks!

Edited by Italianhorses

The model is complete. I have finished all glass pieces, taillights, headlights, mirrors, decals:

49898887446_1045b7428d_b.jpg

49899195362_d110971aa6_b.jpg

Finished model chassis:
49898887236_b1b845e063_b.jpg

Couple of finished pix with the hardtop:
49899195447_0f9f473655_b.jpg

49898373493_9f60dcbda2_b.jpg

And without:
49898887326_ed5f11bf84_b.jpg

49899195257_ebf35a03e8_b.jpg

Overall, I didn't like the kit. I thought the fit was poor, atypical for Tamiya in general. The way the some parts were designed left a lot to be desired, as some assembled buts look unfinished, with gaps visible, etc. Glass is way too thick for a convertible model, hardtop not fitting right. I made it work, but its not a usual solid Tamiya.

Also, it’s cool to hear you say that you think this isn’t one of Tamiya’s better kits.  I haven’t built too many of theirs except for a couple of these and everyone always says how easily Tamiya kits just fall together - reassuring to know it isn’t just me who had fit issues!

7 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

You did an outstanding job. Very clean 

6 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Love it! 
Ben

3 hours ago, oldrevellfan said:

very nice!

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Absolutely outstanding - I’d be proud to have this on my shelf!  Awesome!!!

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Also, it’s cool to hear you say that you think this isn’t one of Tamiya’s better kits.  I haven’t built too many of theirs except for a couple of these and everyone always says how easily Tamiya kits just fall together - reassuring to know it isn’t just me who had fit issues!

Yeah, this one wasn't anything special. Wasn't terrible, but not usual Tamiya quality. Possibly because it was a re-issue - one of the reasons I always try to get first editions cause they are always better molds.

10 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

Personally I think it looks like a million bucks.  I too would be very happy to have it on my shelf. 

Thank you guys. The model is now posted in the completed section with some (in my opinion) better pictrues:

49902881256_3a463c537a_b.jpg

Edited by Italianhorses

5 hours ago, beeRS said:

Lovely job.  I think it looks oustanding. It seems you got rid of the door glass in the last picture - much better for it.

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

I agree!  That kit glass is way too thick, to my eye 

Yup, the kit glass is way thick, like I said in my last post. Decided I don't like it, so I yanked it out, and cut the side windows off. Much better now.

Thanks!