Model Cars Magazine Forum

My next build - Revell 56 Chevrolet Del Ray

DRH_97

• DRH_97 changed the title to My next build - Revell 56 Chevrolet Del Ray
On 5/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, DRH_97 said:

Benn wanting to get going on this one for a while. My Dad had a 56 Bel Air. I was just a wee lad and dont have any memories of it, but I do have some old B&W photo's.

Ā 

IMG_0372.jpg

You mention that you are wanting to replicate your father'sĀ  Bel Air. My first question is, was it a real Bel Air or some other model of '56 Chevy. The reason is that many use the term Bel Air almost as a generic description of a Chevrolet regardless of year model. Was your father's car a two door post body style ? This kits body could easily be made into any of the post cars for that year. The 150 model would have the body side chrome removed on the rear quarter panels. This model represents the 210 model, and the Bel Air would require some minor alterations to the door and front fender moldings. This can be done with some Plastruct plastic strips. The interior is unique in that it represents the Del Ray option that was only on the mid range 210 model starting in 1954 and ran thru 1957 year models. This was an inexpensive option compared to stepping up to the Bel Air. Either way this is a great kit and you should enjoy it no matter what you decide to do. I think your father would appreciate you building a model of his car. My father also had a '56 210. The problem was it had to many doors and a 6 with 3 on the tree and not even a radio, black wall tires and dog dishes for hub caps and needless to say it didn't have the Del Ray interior option. Dad was a bit of a tight wad when it came to automobiles and thought of them more as an appliance than anything exciting.Ā 

My favorite Tri-Five Chevy, the 56.Ā  I'm looking forward to seeing this build.Ā 

I remember Revell made super detailed 1/25 kits of the 55, 56 & 57 with opening hoods, trunk and doors.Ā  I made the 55 when I was a teen.Ā  I'd love to find the 56 version of that kit.

My favorite of the tri-5 series. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

I have one in my stash that someone cut a section of the roof (total of about 2 inches from the front to the back). I repaired it with a scrap roof section from a 57 and some plastic strip for the drip rails. I'll be tuned into this build.

Later-

This is one of my all time favourite cars. My Dad had one too. It was parked in the bush with no wheels on as far back as I can remember. My little brother and I (mostly me) destroyed it....and Iā€™ve felt guilty ever since! I donā€™t want to hijack your thread, but hereā€™sĀ Ā some images of body styles.

0D4E4594-B863-4419-B5B7-ACE6A27D9328.jpeg

1BE43478-B002-43C0-A0EB-88BEE4EB2D94.jpeg

9 hours ago, DRH_97 said:

Thanks for all of the great comments and information. For this one i'm not really going for historical accuracy. I just wanted to add my own touches to a nice 56 Chevy.

Artistic license yes. Go with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, that is gorgeous David, the '56 is also my fav tri-five. you're rockin' this one. I dig the wheels and tires, where'd those come from if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, Geno.?

Edited by Geno