Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Cheetah CroSal Special

Here is another of Scott Kercher's super builds.  Photos and text by Scott.

Cheetah_IMG_2043.JPG.da896d7b71c5d121bbe3bc4e8b7133b7.JPG

This is the Modelhaus Cheetah kit in resin, 1/24. There have been some improvements on the Cox body but the interior is as molded in that kit. I put in a bit of interior improvements. Re-worked the dash, added roll bars,seat belts, fire extinguisher, shifter, and added detail where the spare tire fits.

Cheetah_IMG_2044.JPG.47dbff73e562d0b01c80a6e7a4dee7c8.JPG

The engine is supplied as a very nice 327 Fuelie insert, I added some hoses and wiring. Body work included opening up all the vents, removing the resin body work below the doors, and making new exhausts and drilling all the holes for the fasteners.

Cheetah_IMG_2045.JPG.c91d047650b419ab1ea10462c026e1cf.JPG

Paint is Krylon Royal Blue with Fred Cady decals. Wheels are beautiful American mags from Brad Bradford. Tires are MPC  big and littles. MV lenses are used for the tail lights. Rear view mirrors were scratch built. 

Cheetah_IMG_2047.JPG.96a18930f95950159db8b91f635b7a15.JPG

And Duck Tape. Lots of it. These things were Duck Tape specials. There was so much air coming into the front at speed that the sides of the hood would billow out and crack. Ralph Saylor could literally blow his own doors off, too. In fact he once considered taping the drivers door shut with him inside but later came to his senses.

In short, these cars were underdeveloped nightmares. And crude. But what a fun model to build!

Of course the Cheetah has power steering. Just not the usual kind...!

It's common for fighter planes to have tape over their gun ports to reduce drag, so why not tape the door up?

But I'm with Ralph - do both doors. What if the car ends up lying on it's side, drivers side down? The passenger door might come in useful. But in any case there probably won't be a windscreen left so who needs doors?

Thanks for posting.

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Love the duct (H.V.A.C. sheet metal duct, not quack) tape!

During World War II, Revolite (then a division of Johnson & Johnson) developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used as sealing tape on some ammunition cases during that period.[1]

"Duck tape" is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since 1899;[2] "duct tape" (described as "perhaps an alteration of earlier duck tape") since 1965.[3]

33 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

During World War II, Revolite (then a division of Johnson & Johnson) developed an adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. This tape resisted water and was used as sealing tape on some ammunition cases during that period.[1]

"Duck tape" is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since 1899;[2] "duct tape" (described as "perhaps an alteration of earlier duck tape") since 1965.[3]

I didn't know, thanks.  Since I work in the construction industry, that's all I've know it as.  I know there is a brand 'Duck Tape', but you know how product names are always misspelled now.

11 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

He eventually cut the roof off because the tiny interior was too hot. One year at a vintage race at Sears Point I helped him push it up a small incline to get to his paddock spot. He was really nice, and we talked for about a half hour.

Probably helped it stay on the ground by giving the air a way out!

I found a picture of it:

The Cheetah - Page 3

William, these are the only pictures I have with the hooks on the roof. (it rhymes) Hopefully Scott will let us know and he did below.

1468147422_Cheetah_26_CroSal_Cpe_pits.jpg.20e7a19dff84ca094ff33aeda916f3fe.jpg

And William, the 2 hoops on the roof are tow hooks. On the real car they wrap around the roll bar underneath.

Scott

388050128_Cheetah_25_CroSal_Greenwood_1964_21.jpg.92373a1b391b5e556738b30065e0173c.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

OK, thanks. And since we're talking details, the small pipe at the rear is fuel tank overflow, sort of ?

Never saw these pictures, btw. Different race for the first one, apparently, that one seems to have dual carbs. And less tape ?

I have both the coupé and the roadster from Mini Exotics, 'bout time I did something with those !