Model Cars Magazine Forum

little Richard has died

slusher

Took piano lessons from 5th thru 8th grade as enjoyed watching him, Elton John, Billy Joel, etc play.  The nun told me their form was all wrong as you should positioned over the keys like there was a ball in your hand.  They made a well paid career of it while I never touched a piano after 8th grade graduation......

One last "Woo"....RIP 

He was one of the first to travel a now well-worn path: Liberace, him, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Mick Jagger, Hendrix, Elton John, Cher, Bette Midler, David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Madonna, and Lady Gaga, among others. 

What do they all have in common? They weren't just great musicians, they were SHOWMEN (and women). They were PERFORMERS. 

RIP, LR. 

Edited by Snake45

48 minutes ago, DonW said:

A good age, respect to the man.

A true original, he really tore up the rule book. The record execs tried to sell Pat Boone but the kids wanted Little Richard!

It wasn't so much the record execs selling Pat Boone as it was parts of this country where record resellers wouldn't sell or buyers refused to purchase records made by colored performers. I was 11 in January of 56. In the Detroit area where I grew up, there was no problem finding records of these performers. You would, however find it sold out and you couldn't find a copy. In 58 after a Chuck Berry performance turned into a riot, Boston's mayor, followed by other Northeastern states, banned Rock and Roll as an evil influence on youth. Below is a Youtube vide of the top 10 Rock and Roll Pioneers and there influence on the industry. Little Richard is number 3.

19 hours ago, my66s55 said:

In the Detroit area where I grew up, there was no problem finding records of these performers.

Doug, do you remember Fortune Records, aka "The Treasure Chest of Musty Dusties"? The label was located at 3942 Third Ave. Nolan Strong & The Diablos recorded their classic, "The Wind" for Fortune in 1954.

43 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Doug, do you remember Fortune Records, aka "The Treasure Chest of Musty Dusties"? The label was located at 3942 Third Ave. Nolan Strong & The Diablos recorded their classic, "The Wind" for Fortune in 1954.

No, I wasn't exposed to R & B at this time. The only Detroit artists I knew of were Jack Scott and of course Jackie Wilson. I just learned that Barry Gordy, founder of Motown records, co-wrote three of Jackie's hits- Reet petite, Lonely tear drops and To be loved. I did check out Nolan Strong and the Diablos just now. Great Doo Wop.

Such a huge influence on rock n roll. Such a huge innovator of rock n roll!

I read a story about the origins of Tutti Frutti over the weekend. His original lyrics were a little more...provocative. Heck, modern music would get censored if they tried it, so for him to try that in the 50s? Pretty daring stuff!

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

I read a story about the origins of Tutti Frutti over the weekend. His original lyrics were a little more...provocative. Heck, modern music would get censored if they tried it, so for him to try that in the 50s? Pretty daring stuff!

The term "rock and roll" itself is of rather bawdy origins. No wonder there was initial resistance to "rock and roll music." B)

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:
56 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The term "rock and roll" itself is of rather bawdy origins. No wonder there was initial resistance to "rock and roll music." B)

kindly give the source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutti_Frutti_(song)

56 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I really doubt the source had any bearing on the resistance of older people to rock and roll. If you know anything about human nature, there are always those opposed to a eradicable change. It was a drastic generational change. Rock and roll was the integration of of Blues and country music. This was not acceptable to many older Americans of the white origin. Performance, or more con temporarily termed, concert goers exerted an amount of zeal totally out of control to many. It was seen as a threat to some in political power to a world they knew. You really had to be there during this time to understand.

12 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

I really doubt the source had any bearing on the resistance of older people to rock and roll. If you know anything about human nature, there are always those opposed to a eradicable change. It was a drastic generational change. Rock and roll was the integration of of Blues and country music. This was not acceptable to many older Americans of the white origin. Performance, or more con temporarily termed, concert goers exerted an amount of zeal totally out of control to many. It was seen as a threat to some in political power to a world they knew. You really had to be there during this time to understand.

And their parents hated the "swing" music. 

I think it's just a generational thing, not racial. I seem to recall reading somewhere a quote that went something like, "The young people today don't know anything, don't respect their elders, and their music is just noise"--from one of the noted ancient Greek philosophers. :blink::lol:

16 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

And their parents hated the "swing" music. 

I think it's just a generational thing, not racial. I seem to recall reading somewhere a quote that went something like, "The young people today don't know anything, don't respect their elders, and their music is just noise"--from one of the noted ancient Greek philosophers. :blink::lol:

The people I grew up with, as I was adopted, were older couple in there mid 40's in this time frame. They didn't hate swing music, as didn't any of my friends parents. All were content with the change and rock and roll music. Times were so different then. I'm going to give you and whoever reads this, an education on the period in question. I'm going to reveal my up bring which will reveal how it was in the period and times, The small city I grew up in was established in 1925 and the developer followed the guidelines for successful development from the then American Real Estate Association. Their guidelines said that in order to preserve real estate values on sales, those to persons of Mediterranean descent or of other than Caucasian should not be alloyed. In order to purchase in Dearborn Mi. Mayor Orville Hubbard of Dearborn  practiced much the same philosophy. It wasn't just in Michigan. It was nationwide. In order to purchase property in the city i grew up in, Louise Lathrup Kelly had to approve you. There was a very social economic gap that extended to those in power. People with this mentality were running the governmental agencies in control in this time period. This old school philosophy threatened many in control at the time in question.