Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next Moebius Ford truck kit?

If they do another Ford pickup, it would have to be the '57-'60 series.  Only the '60 was done by AMT, so the '57-59 versions could be  offered .  The old '60 F 100's  consistently sell for over $100 on ebay. . However, I personally feel they're going to jump to  the '61-'71 Dodge pickup,  most likely focusing on the  '65-'71 years.   3  to 4 different  versions of this series is right up their alley.  If they include the '61-'64,  I can see 4 to 5 versions.

Edited by leafsprings

3 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Wishful thinking : 1953-1955 , 1956 F-100 series .

I've built a couple of the Revell '56 Kits and I agree with you on it 100%. I’ve never built the AMT ‘53 Kit, but I’ve never heard anything bad about it. It seems like a nice kit. 

I’m sure it’s not in the style of Moebius, but I’d be pumped to see them take a crack at the ‘80-85 and ‘86-91 F-150.  Someone needs to, since the Revell F-150 Ranger is lacking a bit. The variations could be spread out more if they added the Bronco as well. 

Of course, it’s all wishful thinking haha. 

11 hours ago, leafsprings said:

If they do another Ford pickup, it would have to be the '57-'60 series.  Only the '60 was done by AMT, so the '57-59 versions could be  offered .  The old '60 F 100's  consistently sell for over $100 on ebay. . However, I personally feel they're going to jump to  the '61-'71 Dodge pickup,  most likely focusing on the  '65-'71 years.   3  to 4 different  versions of this series is right up their alley.  If they include the '61-'64,  I can see 4 to 5 versions.

The Dodge Pick up's would be a cool thing to see …. I'm not holding my breath on this one ?

The '57 - '59 year model Ford F100 would be nice and I think it would sell well for them. I don't know of any kit of this subject since the AMTs of that era. As much as I like the '53 - '56 F100's they have been done to death and while I have no doubt that theirs would be better, would it pay the bills to make it? 

I’d love to see a series of 73-79 dentside kits in short and long bed, flareside and styleside beds, 2wd and 4wd versions. Maybe Super Cab and Crew Cab versions also .  A lot of parts (chassis, suspension, engines) could be carryover from the '67-72 kits, I think. 

Edited by Rob Hall

17 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I’d love to see a series of 73-79 dentside kits in short and long bed, flareside and styleside beds, 2wd and 4wd versions. Maybe Super Cab and Crew Cab versions also .  A lot of parts (chassis, suspension, engines) could be carryover from the '67-72 kits, I think. 

For the rivet counters; the frames are different. '73-'79 2wd frames are 38" wide from the cab back, verses the earlier SAE standard 34". The 4x4 frames get trickier, F100 went wide in '73 but F250 went to 38" wide about half way through the '77 model year run.

It would be neat to see Moebius take a stab at the 80-96 generation, especially the 80-86 F series and Bronco. But, because those years exist (though much could be improved) in kit form, I would guess they’d stay away from them for now.

However, being the 1:1 73-79 generation is increasing in popularity in the collector market, more and more as time passes, I can see them moving that direction soon, and then eventually into the 80’s. 

It seems that our present day new kit and reissue market is often a reflection of the current wave of nostalgia for 1:1 classics. That wave is usually centered in whatever is 30-50 years old at any given time.

4 hours ago, 62SY4 said:

For the rivet counters; the frames are different. '73-'79 2wd frames are 38" wide from the cab back, verses the earlier SAE standard 34". The 4x4 frames get trickier, F100 went wide in '73 but F250 went to 38" wide about half way through the '77 model year run.

At 1/25 scale, that would be a little less than 3/16" width difference. I would think if they split the difference, it would be negligible enough to work for the F100/150 and F250. I would hope that this would be something that shouldn't bother most people since it's not as important as say, the body dimensions, but I know better.  

If Moebius decides to do the '57-60 Ford pickup,  improvements from AMT's  " '60 only"  version could be numerous.  Not only would we get 3 new distinct year model changes, we should get a separate frame,  a multi piece suspension and driveline and axles and possibly a 223 6 cylinder in at least one or two of them.  Probably most important, a separate cab and separate bed!  Hopefully someone from Moebius will chime in soon, I know they have something in the works.

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I can't be the only one wondering , How about a 1983-1989 Ranger ? Maybe the last ( c.2009 ) generation of the same ? AMT-ERTL-et alia covered the 90's Ranger already (reissue soon ?) , but no one's touched the "gap" years .

I wish there was a '98+ ranger... My guess is the market isn't there. I see the '95-'97 explorer, '97 expedition and '97 F-150 selling on the auction site for half of what a typical new kit goes for... That's including shipping in some cases. As other people have suggested the '73-'79 series makes a ton of sense, they were popular their day and popular now and I could see the resin aftermarket supporting them much like in the 1:1 world. 

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I can't be the only one wondering , How about a 1983-1989 Ranger ? Maybe the last ( c.2009 ) generation of the same ? AMT-ERTL-et alia covered the 90's Ranger already (reissue soon ?) , but no one's touched the "gap" years .

The Ranger was wildly popular during it's entire lifespan, although I think it's "model kit" appeal died out after the mid 90's. It would've been cool to see a release of the Edge. 

With the 83-89 Ranger, they could look into a Bronco II as well I believe. 

On 5/11/2020 at 8:31 PM, 1972coronet said:

I would love a first gen Ranger but I'd want it to be 1/24 scale for what I want to do with it.

8 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Along these lines, is a 1974 Ford pickup available? 

Or could one easily get to the '74 using one of the existing Moebius kits?

The AMT kit is the 73-79 body style. You just need to find the early grille from a resin caster. The AMT kit is also a Camper Special so the rear wheels are moved back another six inches from a normal long bed and it has tool box built into the passenger side of the bed. I believe Kris Morgan has a correct standard long bed in resin.

39 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

The AMT kit is the 73-79 body style. You just need to find the early grille from a resin caster. The AMT kit is also a Camper Special so the rear wheels are moved back another six inches from a normal long bed and it has tool box built into the passenger side of the bed. I believe Kris Morgan has a correct standard long bed in resin.

I've got a couple earlier grilles and cannot remember where I sourced them from. I've been looking for a correct short bed and I've been waiting for a resin Supercab so I can give my 1/1 '77 a go.