Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next Moebius Ford truck kit?

I've built several from the amt Firestone and earlier kits. Modifying the bed isnt super easy, but its not too bad. Still, it would be cool if we had some kit based options. The worst part is having to use two kits to make one bed (due to the spare tire bulge) 

It appears the insiders at Moebius are holding back info on what is coming out next.  As I look into my crystal ball,  '57-''60 if a Ford,  but,  most likely,  the '65-'71  Dodge is in the works right now. The '73 thru 79 series can be handled with  some good aftermarket resin beds ( 6' and 8' ), and maybe a good resin cab with a higher windshield  and  no moldings option. No need for Moebius to invest in the '73-'79 ,  especially since there may be a re issue  by AMT ( hopefully first issue ) in the near future.  '53-'56 has been overdone for decades. Have no interest in post '80 pickups.

1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

It appears the insiders at Moebius are holding back info on what is coming out next. 

Where are the days when most new was announced every fall, at the Chicago RCHTA trade show.

Edited by Luc Janssens

12 hours ago, leafsprings said:The '73 thru 79 series can be handled with  some good aftermarket resin beds ( 6' and 8' ), and maybe a good resin cab with a higher windshield  and  no moldings option. No need for Moebius to invest in the '73-'79 ,  especially since there may be a re issue  by AMT ( hopefully first issue ) in the near future.  '53-'56 has been overdone for decades. Have no interest in post '80 pickups.

Disagree, I think the AMT kit is pretty mediocre, and it sucks having to essentially replace a good chunk of the kit in order to have a decent build. The axles are poorly shaped, and everything just feels old. I think Moebius could provide much better kits and, again, do this era of trucks justice.

6 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Disagree, I think the AMT kit is pretty mediocre, and it sucks having to essentially replace a good chunk of the kit in order to have a decent build. The axles are poorly shaped, and everything just feels old. I think Moebius could provide much better kits and, again, do this era of trucks justice.

Yeah, after reading about the old AMT kit, and grabbing a copy of the '78 reissue of the Firestones truck - I agree.   That said, I'm collecting parts to try to replicate Dad's '74 using this the AMT as a starting point.  (I fully expect Moebius to announce a 1974 Ford pickup as a result! LOL)

9 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Yep. The AMT kit, if built from the box, represents a truck built from several model years of junkyard parts with an odd shaped windshield and no lug nuts. It actually looks terrible if it isnt modified. 

None. Looking at what Moebius has planned for releases (flat bed trailer) in the automotive realm, it's slim to nothing. Re-issue of the '53 Hudson, but otherwise, lots of money in sci-fi stuff. It's been mentioned here previously now that Pegasus owns Moebius, they have far less interest in the automotive side of things. That seems to be bearing out if we look at their current and near-future releases, and considering it's been almost two years since we heard or saw anything abou the '64-5 Chevy II/Nova Sedan/HTs, I wouldn't expect any further new anytime soon.

tl/dr: don't expect any new truck releases any time soon from Moebius

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

There are two more variations of the '60s Ford truck tooling coming, I believe...a ''65 or '66 longbed 4x4 pickup and a '67 w/ the service bed.

I think the 67 with the service bed is being commissioned by Dave Burket at Model King. 

There was a rumor a couple of years ago about Moebius doing a 67-72 GM truck series, but I believe that was before Pegasus buying Moebius, and I am sure they are looking at sales history before committing any tooling dollars. With the lack of major distribution (outside of Michael's and Hobby Lobby), probably takes longer to pay for tooling and with more LHS closings in recent years, you don't get those impulse buys if you can't walk in a store and see it.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 10:50 PM, Jordan White said:

I guess going with the title of the thread, it would be great to see modern kits of the ‘73-‘79 trucks. They are popular, and the AMT kits don’t do them justice (camper special LWB? Really?)

Judging from a few of the comments in this thread, it appears the record should be set straight...

First off, the proportions on the amt '75-'79 F series trucks are as close to perfect as you're likely to find in a regularly priced kit. True, the upper windshield molding needs finessing and it was indeed a questionable decision to go with the super camper special box. These issues are easily fixed, especially with the availability of the resin corrected box.

Secondly, the much vaunted moebius 69-72 series borrowed much of its chassis and engine design from the amt kit. However nicely engineered these kits are otherwise, they share well known serious proportion issues in the roof design and other body areas. To be fair to moebius, this series design problems appear to be confined to this project alone, as their Hudson, Chrysler, Pontiac , Mercury and Plymouth kits appear to be well-spoken of. The '65/'66 F-series kits also show more effort spent on getting the proportions right.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:39 PM, Jonathan said:

Along these lines, is a 1974 Ford pickup available? 

Or could one easily get to the '74 using one of the existing Moebius kits?

If you aren't attached to plastic, First gear makes/made a diecast 73 F100.  Might be closer than converting a plastic.   I repainted this one that I got lucky on for $11 +shipping.   It was a horrid blue/gray.   Has a nice engine, opening doors, hood, tailgate.   Needs F100 and Custom badges.  I printed some, but didn't put them on.  

IMG_20200427_191135876_HDR.jpg.672ecd630447a292dd7e44b556e3f650.jpg

IMG_20200427_191141948_HDR.jpg.6041d81a97a74f20cce232f9055859b6.jpg

1 hour ago, randyc said:

If you aren't attached to plastic, First gear makes/made a diecast 73 F100.  Might be closer than converting a plastic.   I repainted this one that I got lucky on for $11 +shipping.   It was a horrid blue/gray.   Has a nice engine, opening doors, hood, tailgate.   Needs F100 and Custom badges.  I printed some, but didn't put them on.  

That's awesome.  

Needs a step bumper to be perfect ;)

15 hours ago, mk11 said:

Judging from a few of the comments in this thread, it appears the record should be set straight...

First off, the proportions on the amt '75-'79 F series trucks are as close to perfect as you're likely to find in a regularly priced kit. True, the upper windshield molding needs finessing and it was indeed a questionable decision to go with the super camper special box. These issues are easily fixed, especially with the availability of the resin corrected box.

Secondly, the much vaunted moebius 69-72 series borrowed much of its chassis and engine design from the amt kit. However nicely engineered these kits are otherwise, they share well known serious proportion issues in the roof design and other body areas. To be fair to moebius, this series design problems appear to be confined to this project alone, as their Hudson, Chrysler, Pontiac , Mercury and Plymouth kits appear to be well-spoken of. The '65/'66 F-series kits also show more effort spent on getting the proportions right.

Totally agree. The Moebius trucks are more detailed, but the AMT kit captures the look of the subject better.The AMT kit has a few shape faults, but the Moebius trucks have tons of them. On the plus side, Moebius at least gave us different engines, interiors, and trim levels (although some of the trim levels aren't correctly represented by the parts). Actually, I've been updating all my AMT builds with Moebius engine compartments, engines, chassis, and tires. The parts interchange between the two nicely.

17 hours ago, Repstock said:

The parts interchange between the two nicely.

That's an important and fortuitous consideration in terms of improving the base stock. As the windshield/cowl area is basically the same from '67-'79, the amt cab can donate the front part of the cab and roof to make the moeb cab more accurate. The metal axle parts from the amt can also be used on the moeb chassis to expand wheel/tire choices as well.

Edited by mk11

On 5/18/2020 at 10:17 AM, Jonathan said:

That's awesome.  

Needs a step bumper to be perfect ;)

Yep, that occurred to me as well.  However, I just don't do many trucks and had nothing to use there.   

9 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

TBH, Moebius has made me wish they would give up trying to produce Ford pickups. They can't get the proportions, grilles or details right. To me, they look like a dollar store diecast. 

Agreed. 

On 5/18/2020 at 7:44 AM, randyc said:

Really good looking Ford!