Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Nova Pro Street

carcrazy19

I'm proud of this build. I did a lot of firsts with this one. First time tubbing the rear,  scratch building a roll bar, and scratch building the wheelie bars. I scratch built a MSD box, and smoothed the fire wall. The side marker lights and the side louvers on the fenders were shaved off. I used valve covers from a NASCAR kit and used a resin radiator and shroud from B N L Resins. Paint is Tamiya TS-8 Italian red. So happy with this one  that I would like to bring it to a show some day. Well, I hope you all like it.   

IMG_3021[1].JPG

IMG_3023[1].JPG

IMG_3025[1].JPG

IMG_3005[1].JPG

IMG_3030[1].JPG

IMG_3032[1].JPG

IMG_3028[1].JPG

IMG_3029[1].JPG

IMG_3034[1].JPG

IMG_3037[1].JPG

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 8:12 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Your paint polishing is world class, Bravo!

I've used this Tamya red often, but always with clear on top to ease polishing. How many coats would you say you applied, and what was the gradation of your sanding grits, if I may ask?

CT

Thanks Claude for your compliment. I should have mentioned that I applied 3 coats of Wet look Clear. When polishing I start with 4000 grit sand paper working my up to 12000 grit. Then I use Mcguires fine scratch polishing compound and finish with a coat of mothers car wax.

38 minutes ago, carcrazy19 said:

Thanks Claude for your compliment. I should have mentioned that I applied 3 coats of Wet look Clear. When polishing I start with 4000 grit sand paper working my up to 12000 grit. Then I use Mcguires fine scratch polishing compound and finish with a coat of mothers car wax.

Ah-Ha! 

Thank you for the infos. I happen to use mostly the same combo of Tamya's color and testor's Wetlook clear myself. Out of years of testing, gave me the best results so far.

I use a lot of House of Kolor clear urethane for custom painting motorcycles, but this clear is so "hard", it's difficult to polish it fully on a fragile styrene miniature body... Therefore, Wetlook carries the day! 

Thanks again, and bravo for your Nova!

Regards, 

CT

• 3 weeks later...