Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobra 1950 Mercury

spencer1984

My build of Marion Cobretti's ride from Cobra. I started with Revell's '49 Merc kit and replaced the engine, modified the stance, gave it an upgraded interior with custom belts and a '50 dashboard, and customized the body to fix the hood corners, add the scoop, and give it correct bumpers (among other chages). Paint was "Cobra Slate Grey" by ScaleFinishes. A full writeup is available here, as always any comments/criticisms are welcome!

Cobra-Merc-01.jpg

Cobra-Merc-02.jpg

Cobra-Merc-03.jpg

Cobra-Merc-04.jpg

Cobra-Merc-05.jpg

Cobra-Merc-06.jpg

I'm not a fan of custom Mercs--actively dislike them, in fact--but I thought the one in the Cobra movie came darn close to cool looking (probably due to its complete lack of rococo fru-fru). Your model captures it well! Model on, my friend! B)

Thanks, guys!

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I'm not a fan of custom Mercs--actively dislike them, in fact--but I thought the one in the Cobra movie came darn close to cool looking (probably due to its complete lack of rococo fru-fru).

One of the things I like about this Merc is how not-fru-fru it is. There's nothing pretty, or elegant, or sophisticated about it...it's like it was carved rather than built, and imbued with all the crude muscle that implies.

Thanks, guys!

On 5/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, Plowboy said:

I didn't know the movie car had a blown Ford engine. I guess that's the reason for the hood scoop. Nice work!

From anything that I've read or heard, all the cars in the movie had Chevy 350 engines - inexpensive, reliable, and easy to upgrade. But since I didn't need to be practical, I went for the gusto!

• 2 weeks later...