Model Cars Magazine Forum
swede70

1970 T/G Racing Jerry Titus Firebird Trans Am

Posted (edited)

Greetings,

Sort of marooned within the plastic works in progress section, this is a stitched-in thread relating work on a 1:18th ERTL-based 1970 T/G Racing Jerry Titus Firebird Trans Am SCCA Trans-Am racer.  Staring down some very labor intensive projects across weeks given  COVID-19 movement restrictions, I'm trying to step up to a few of them. Noticed will be the rear flares that have taken literal form across the past few days.  

1846620652_1970TGRacingFirebirdatMid-Ohiolikelyoldimage.jpg.792d41a0749494296181479d01a2ce15.jpg

A bit taste challenged in the wheel flare department, but in essence what I'm trying to reproduce.

1754819781_1970TitusFirebirdrevisited12001.JPG.591c5a64858c0ef9e9fb2be43bf11c3d.JPG

Still reducing the rear flare mass and subtly reshaping here and there, it's coming along.  The front flares reflect older application, and constitute cast resin brows grafted into a filed out standard shell.

1903915565_1970TitusFirebirdrevisited12002.JPG.c62b776dadd1ce0a5f2c61da363f7e9b.JPG

The rain gutter trim has been ground off and flat, the cage is again scratch built.  Happily the A-pillar roll cage members terminate forward of the dashboard, this fact easing the task of fabricating such.

444918782_1970TitusFirebirdrevisited12003.JPG.52ed0e34eff0013ebc54d486815eb2c7.JPG

Drilling through a thick Zamac shell to help house the countersunk refueling ports was no fun at all.  I applied stacked lengths of duct tape to prevent damage to the top surface when the drill bit used walked again and again.  Hood pins are GMP '67-'69 Penske Trans-Am Camaro, the fuel cap a Hwy. 61 '68 340 Dart item.  The instrument panel is incomplete, being a sheet plastic insert alone, while two steering wheels are combined given I had to grind off the honeycomb center trim while retaining the padded rim detail.   As seen, ERTL plastic 'glass' can be polished up to a nice shine.

830823717_1970TitusFirebirdrevisited12004.JPG.43b499ce154c7876cf324e142f6223f6.JPG

In brief, a Lane '68 Firebird Pontiac 400 engine has been fitted and dressed to suit, the radiator is a GMP '70 GTO Judge item, while other additions can be made out in white including discreet upper control arm detail, a remote oil filter mount, and a coolant surge tank situated along the firewall. Thanks...

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

Another impressive project.  Thanks for sharing this one.

That's going to be a nice one.   I had so many plans for being at home during all this.   Got laid off, had to work two days the first week.  Then boss asked me to come back all the time.   I was in office for 3 weeks by myself, which was nice, but didn't allow all my plans to come to light.  At least you;re not going nuts being at home.   

Glad you;re working on something that is pretty darn cool.   MAybe sometime, you can get a race grid photo?  To see all your cars together?

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the interest and the comments...

Trying to keep busy, although my sanding stick supply is at an end.  Resin dust everywhere, sneezing nonstop for periods too.  Oh gosh - seen below is work of another round of shaping and filing, and looking closer to finished - I hope!  Material has come off the top of each rear flare, while the inside circumference of each has been opened a bit as well.  Work of a day then.  Race grid photo to come in time ...

920279635_1970TitusFirebirdrevisited13001.JPG.8782ffc4c6514cfa5628df1559d30971.JPG

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

Curious if you have an update to this project?  So far the layout looks excellent.  I am also curious what you used as the starting point for this project, I was unable to find an earlier thread where this was highlighted.

Thanks,

Charles

Posted (edited)

No trouble Charles...

The rear flares need to be rebuilt along the bottom front given I messed up the profile at bit; i.e. the shape is a bit stranger still in point of fact.  Mostly I'm finishing up major fabrication work across a few like-themed projects while I set about equipping myself to apply paint for an airbrush/ventilation setup in fairly tight quarters.  It seems I work in two directions; i.e. overhauling prepainted diecast topics and seeing such limited work to the end, or conversely, taking on something like this which seemingly has no end for having everything rethought.  

The model seen is the old 1:18th ERTL '70-'73 Firebird Trans Am, while others might go with the newer Welly '72 Trans Am tool.  The engine is a Lane Pontiac 400 unit lifted from the recent ACME '69 Daytona 24HR class-winning '68 Titus Godsall Firebird release - which is being overhauled too with a GMP small block engine, a scratch built roll cage and detail changes across the work.  

The original thread ties into a '64 Tempest/'71-season Gray Ghost Herb Adams/Bob Tullius thread which I'll try to insert below.  It'll show the pair of Gray Ghost projects (one in 1:25th scale resin), as well as the pair of Firebird projects consistent with relating what was attempted and how matters are going.  I'm deathly slow, although if some progress is clocked here and there I'm typically at peace with myself.  Thanks for your interest...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/139343-twin-herb-adams-71-scca-trans-am-64-tempest-gray-ghost-projects/?tab=comments#comment-2037077

Mike K./Swede70

Edited by swede70

Thank you for the link to your earlier posting.  The comments from Quakenboss were excellent to read and your work on both the Adams and Titus cars is outstanding.  Keep up the amazing work and remain in good health