Model Cars Magazine Forum

Small Hatchback like car bodies

One day, while looking for reference pictures of Gasser engines i stumbled across a 3D image model thing (prob from some kind of game)of a late 70's Fiat 147. The cool part about the image was that the back end of the Fiat was cut out so that the transverse mounted 4cyl dragster engine can stick out the back. being someone who likes weird and cool hot rods, seeing this picture made me want to build it or at least something like it. Im curious if theirs any kits with a car body along those lines. I already found a few 1/24-26th scale 1st gen VW Golfs, a few Fiats, Renaults etc, although they were priced in the $150-$650 range (which is kinda insane considering what im looking to do). Im guessing that would have something to do with the rarity of the kits, which makes me wonder if theirs any "less rare" (cheaper) kits made by some more common manufacturers. All I would really need is the body to do what i want to do, Ill put the reference picture below.

BUNEaPeNu2E.jpg

Edited by Gumball

1 hour ago, Gumball said:

which makes me wonder if theirs any "less rare" (cheaper) kits made by some more common manufacturers. All I would really need is the body to do what i want to do, Ill put the reference picture below.

Yes, there are plenty. Post a Wanted ad here on the forum or search for bodies or body shells on eBay. Revell VW Golf/Rabbit, MPC Chevette (though likely not as cheap), AMT AMC Gremlin, etc are all options.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes, there are plenty. Post a Wanted ad here on the forum or search for bodies or body shells on eBay. Revell VW Golf/Rabbit, MPC Chevette (though likely not as cheap), AMT AMC Gremlin, etc are all options.

Alright, goint to have to do a little more searching then.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Growing up in Poland I seen plenty of Fiat 126s and 127s, but never heard of a Fiat 147.  Both 126 and 127 have similar appearance, with 127 being a larger car.

The Fiat 147 was the Brazilian version of the 127, I passed my driving test in a 127 (Many years ago)

12 hours ago, GeeBee said:

The Fiat 147 was the Brazilian version of the 127, I passed my driving test in a 127 (Many years ago)

I learned something new!  Back in the day Fiat licensed production of their cars to many countries all over the world.  Polish versions had a "p" suffix in their model number.

Lol this is mostly all new to me, as I really only know the 127, and 147, I had to actually search up "small European cars"  on google images to find out what make and model they were. I'm obviously familiar with the shape of a 127 and 147 for the most part from movies and tv shows. But up in till I made this post I had no idea they were fiat. Here in Canada the only fiats we got are the little smart car looking fiats, the SUV sooking thing and there Honda S2000 looking fiat. Otherwise it's all Chrysler. 

5 hours ago, Gumball said:

Lol this is mostly all new to me, as I really only know the 127, and 147, I had to actually search up "small European cars"  on google images to find out what make and model they were. I'm obviously familiar with the shape of a 127 and 147 for the most part from movies and tv shows. But up in till I made this post I had no idea they were fiat. Here in Canada the only fiats we got are the little smart car looking fiats, the SUV sooking thing and there Honda S2000 looking fiat. Otherwise it's all Chrysler. 

I wouldn't expect to find any of those model Fiats anywhere in North America, unless someone imported one as a vintage curiosity.  These were produced 40-50 years ago. At least the 126 and 127.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:18 PM, Gumball said:

i stumbled across a 3D image model thing (prob from some kind of game)of a late 70's Fiat 147. The cool part about the image was that the back end of the Fiat was cut out so that the transverse mounted 4cyl dragster engine can stick out the back. 

I don't know if this is from a game or just a computer rendering, but there are cars just like this running in Argentina these days. While there are mid/rear engine variations like pictured, many of them are front wheel drive with literally nothing past the drivers seat other than the shell and just enough tubing to support motorcycle  wheels. Check it out:

https://www.dragzine.com/news/video-hey-whered-the-rest-of-that-car-go-all-motor-goes-extreme/