Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell 1969 Chevelle SS 396

Casey

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 10:17 PM, Casey said:

85-4492_6.jpg.ce3e268e1562776750fa2feb1e54f5cd.jpg

The gap between the quarter panel extension pieces and the top edge of the rear bumper looks excessive. I'm giving some leeway since it might be an early test shot, or the bumper might be mounted a bit low. Real car for comparison:

69ssrr.jpg.e391b25212a72741ffb01f9efb97520f.jpg

Ok compare where the point of the madcap is on the real car in relation to the split in the taillight. Now look how low that split is on the model. That end cap is all out of whack.

7 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Ok compare where the point of the madcap is on the real car in relation to the split in the taillight. Now look how low that split is on the model. That end cap is all out of whack.

I don't know what "madcap" means, but if you mean the white stripe, I see a problem. It doesn't end where it should in relation to the taillight. I don't know what's wrong, where, but clearly something is. :unsure:

It might not be apparent if you leave the stripe off. IIRC, not all the '69 SS396s wore this stripe. I seem to remember seeing (at least) as many without it as with it back in the day. :unsure:

48 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I don't know what "madcap" means, but if you mean the white stripe, I see a problem. It doesn't end where it should in relation to the taillight. I don't know what's wrong, where, but clearly something is. :unsure:

It might not be apparent if you leave the stripe off. IIRC, not all the '69 SS396s wore this stripe. I seem to remember seeing (at least) as many without it as with it back in the day. :unsure:

End cap. The point of it should be about in line with the divider strip in the taillight. It’s way too high

1 hour ago, yellowsportwagon said:

End cap. The point of it should be about in line with the divider strip in the taillight. It’s way too high

It it's too high, then so are the door handle, the lock, and the rear side marker light. Look at the real pic. The stripe runs between the door handle and lock, and just above the rear side marker, then terminates at the peak point of the end cap. Which should be at right about the tail light divider line. 

On the model, all the side points line up as they should, but then nothing lines up with the tail light divider line. SOMETHING is way out of whack here, I'm not sure exactly what. :wacko:

7 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

It it's too high, then so are the door handle, the lock, and the rear side marker light. Look at the real pic. The stripe runs between the door handle and lock, and just above the rear side marker, then terminates at the peak point of the end cap. Which should be at right about the tail light divider line. 

On the model, all the side points line up as they should, but then nothing lines up with the tail light divider line. SOMETHING is way out of whack here, I'm not sure exactly what. :wacko:

That’s what I’m saying. But I think if the gap is fixed it may look a little better.

One thing that I think might help; notice the gap between the rear bumper's corner and the top-edge of the bumper opening on the endcap, (on the built-up).

Looks like that built-up's rear bumper is mounted too low; snugging it up will help but I don't think it'll completely solve the issue.

This "solution" leads to a host of additional mods tho.

Edited by '70 Grande

And as usual, as with many of these new kits, they muffed it.

Just another example in my opinion, of how the old annuals, with all of their faults, are still usually better proportioned than most of the new kits.

This is probably an instance of where using the AMT body, with the Revell guts and tail lights, would yield the best results.

I've heard people hacking on the AMT kit for years.

From the look of it, it's probably no worse than this one.

Steve

The trouble is that you cannot "snug up" the bumper.  The taillight bezels are molded with the bumper so the bumper can't be moved up unless you cut them off.  And it is difficult to put in a filler piece or add filler to the gap because part of the bumper/taillight bezel piece fills in the area behind that gap and there is little depth to the gap.

I was trying to resolve this last night.  Kind of disappointed at the way this all fits together.

It looks like someone decided it would make more sense to combine the rear bumper and taillights for assembly purposes, which would be understandable if they were making promos of this.  Separate pieces for the bumper, lights and SS trim panel would have looked better.   Maybe if enough people complain, Revell will modify the tooling.

6 hours ago, sfhess said:

The trouble is that you cannot "snug up" the bumper.  The taillight bezels are molded with the bumper so the bumper can't be moved up unless you cut them off.  And it is difficult to put in a filler piece or add filler to the gap because part of the bumper/taillight bezel piece fills in the area behind that gap and there is little depth to the gap.

I was trying to resolve this last night.  Kind of disappointed at the way this all fits together.

The only way you could do it would be to file the bottom edge of the trunk lid. Then open the taillight pockets upwards a little. A total pain in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

The only way you could do it would be to file the bottom edge of the trunk lid. Then open the taillight pockets upwards a little. 

And then THAT wouldn't look right. 

As I said, you can do some tweaking to fill that gap and it should look okay--unless you want to use the side stripe, in which case the problem becomes obvious.