Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell 1969 Chevelle SS 396

Casey

Just so all of you experts know the body and all related parts, including taillights and bumpers, were made from Chevrolet factory drawings and verified with hundreds of research photos and dimensions. Granted some very minor adjustments can take place going into the 3D modeling stage, but hardley way out of wack like one of your expert Revell haters here suggested.

Edited by Ronrr

56 minutes ago, Ronrr said:

Just so all of you experts know the body and all related parts, including taillights and bumpers, were made from Chevrolet factory drawings and verified with hundreds of research photos and dimensions. Granted some very minor adjustments can take place going into the 3D modeling stage, but hardley way out of wack like one of your expert Revell haters here suggested.

For those who don't know Ronrr is Ron Rowlet who 'till the Hobbico implosion designed model kits, including this one for Revell-Monogram.

Welcome Ron, and hope to see more of you here, explaining how a scale model is created and what the hurdles are that have to be taken.

Luc

Thanks Luc, 

I'm actually not new here at all, I have followed the ramblings on this board since day one. I simply have stayed silent and kept notes on those good points brought up by some of your members and applied them when and where possible in the quest to make every production model as good as it can be within the confines that company management would allow.

Edited by Ronrr
Spelling error

8 minutes ago, Ronrr said:

Thanks Luc, 

I'm actually not new here at all, I have followed the ramblungs on this board since day one. I simply have stayed silent and kept notes on those good points brought up by some of your members and applied them when and where possible in the quest ti make every productio model as good as it can be within the confines that company management would allow.

Then you promoted from lurker to participant ;)

Anyway hope to see more of you here, providing insights on the why's, the do's and don'ts.

3 hours ago, Ronrr said:

...but hardley [sic] way out of wack like one of your expert Revell haters here suggested.

Since I'm the one who used the term "out of whack," I assume I'm the "Revell hater" you're referring to. 

I don't hate Revell. I buy a LOT of their stuff. I love it when they get it right, and I hate it when they get it wrong. And we all know they've gotten things wrong in the past. 

Looking again at the built model pics, it looks like the problem MIGHT be that the rear SML is too high, which forces the stripe to sit too high. If the SML is removed, it might allow the stripe to bend downward a bit and intersect the peak of the rear cap as it should. Certainly worth a try, anyway. :unsure:

I plan to buy this kit and if I build it using the stripe, I'll be trying that. 

Have a great day! B)

So, I attached the end caps on mine and started to mock up the rear bumper fit. It doesn't look as bad as the picture, but the chrome on my bumper is all screwed up. Of course, no replacement parts from Revell can be shipped to the US due to Covid. Guess I will probably have to keep an eye on eBay for the vultures to get their hands on one. It's too large and not in a spot that I want to try Molotow on.

IMG_20200802_132322.jpg.09604c6ff0f878864535a9188614528e.jpg

21 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I attached the end caps on mine and started to mock up the rear bumper fit. It doesn't look as bad as the picture [of the prototype on the kit's box] 

Other than the (frustrating) scuff on the rear bumper , that assembly looks quite nice ---- look at those tail lamp buckets' details ! 

Chris ( hpiguy , et alia ) built one (already posted in this thread) , and it looks like a wonderful kit . He didn't mention any issues with fitment nor with assembly ; how's the fit on your example ?

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Other than the (frustrating) scuff on the rear bumper , that assembly looks quite nice ---- look at those tail lamp buckets' details ! 

Chris ( hpiguy , et alia ) built one (already posted in this thread) , and it looks like a wonderful kit . He didn't mention any issues with fitment nor with assembly ; how's the fit on your example ?

I haven't done anything other than glue the endcaps on. It looks pretty good, as does the '68.

22 hours ago, Ronrr said:

Not a revell hater here and I'm holding off judgment until I actually have a kit in my hands and I can judge for myself but that picture posted of the box art model looks wrong. As the owner of a real 69 Chevelle something looks funny there. Not sure whether it's the stripe or the body line on the coke bottle shape of the quarter or exactly what but something looks funky. I hope it's just that the person who built the box art model didn't know Chevelles nearly as well as some of us to who own the real thing. I have been waiting for the 69 to be released ever since the 68 was announced. The taillights themselves on the Revell kit look excellent as they were one of the weakest points on the old school AMT kit. Even the tail lights on the original issues of the AMT kit with the separate tail lights were not anywhere near 100%.

I have been playing around with my example, and have found two minor issues, which may be causing some of the problems people see with the kit. The first one is the taillight bezels don't quite match the size of the end caps (sanding and scraping of both pieces has improved the fit). Once this is done, the bumper does not want to go into position (too vertical), so I think this may be solved by scoring a line between the taillight/trim panel and the bumper, and bending the bumper section for a closer fit. Overall, it looks like a nicely detailed kit, and though I am not the biggest '69 Chevelle fan, I'm willing to work with it.

Where are all the build ups?   Dangit.   I don;t have mine.  Small town life means I have to wait for the online seller to come to town so I don't have to pay shipping.  LOL.   HPI guy (chris) can build about anything to a presentable state of "what's in the box" in a couple days.   I've seen his review but keep expecting some buildups on here.   So we can all see the real parts and fitment.

3 hours ago, randyc said:

Where are all the build ups?   Dangit.   I don;t have mine.  Small town life means I have to wait for the online seller to come to town so I don't have to pay shipping.  LOL.   HPI guy (chris) can build about anything to a presentable state of "what's in the box" in a couple days.   I've seen his review but keep expecting some buildups on here.   So we can all see the real parts and fitment.

Yep! I'm waiting for someone to start their kit so I can follow along.... 

3 hours ago, randyc said:

That rear bumper looks like it's going to need some help.  

Yes, as I stated earlier, it sits too low in relation to the trim panel and bottom edge of the tail light buckets/trim. While it's hard to compare real 1:1 '69 Chevelle rear bumpers due to the fact that they may have been, well, bumped and tweaked over the years (which, looking online at images seems to be common, though not a major misalignment issue). That said, out of the dozen rear angle images of 1:1 '69 Chevelles I viewed online, I did not find any which had the excessive gap as found on the kit part.

I think the presence of the side stripe makes it difficult to judge exactly where the rear quarter panel peak lies, and it seems to be a rather soft, not crisp, peak, too, so I think that is a factor, too. Again, from viewing a dozen images online, the quarter panel peak appears to terminate even with the horizontal divider which separates the upper and lower tail light bezels/lenses. They blue built model I posed earlier (I'm guessing Ron probably knows who built it?) has the white side stripe already applied, making comparisons with the 1:1 '69 Chevelle a challenge. I'll wait to see a member's built model sans side stripe to decide if the quarter panel peak is too high on the Revell body or not.

We all know and realize there's a human element when designs, measurements, and specifications are transferred from a real car or blueprints to a computer, and the end result isn't always 100% accurate. While I don't see any gross errors on this '69 Chevelle like I saw on the Revell '90 Mustang LX notch (yeah, I SAID IT) kit's body, the gap between the rear bumper and the quarter panel caps, tail light bezels, and trim panel does seem too large to me. Fortunately, I think this can be remedied, IF all else is correct, by separating the bumper and the section above it, then mounting the bumper a bit higher.

Here's the screenshot from Chris' review video, showing the gap I mentioned:

image.png.e7f5012e44cd54ab98e9979c48b5dd6d.png

Both a 1:1 '69 Chevelle and Malibu for comparison:

1969-chevrolet-chevelle-l78-ss.jpg.965dec1747e13746bf5e582b4a6a2599.jpg

69_malibu_red_lew_r.jpg.c1a50844f10abb6076eacd477690cf64.jpg

I can hear Harry interjecting that you can't directly compare 1:1 vehicles with their scale counterparts, but we disagree on that one, so I'll continue. I will admit on both cars above, the rear bumper appears a bit misaligned, or it could be due to the higher viewing angle at which the photo was taken. Regardless if the slightly inconsistent gap present on both, the gap between the rear bumper's wrap-around ends and the bottom edge of the quarter panel caps is much smaller on the real cars than on the built up blue model used by Revell.

I also think the tail light bezel-to-quarter panel end cap fit on the 1:1 is an incredibly tricky fit, and perhaps it's not even possible to pull off when things are reduced to 1:25 scale. I guess we'll see as more are built.

Ok, I'm looking at this instead of working.   The SML is too high as previously stated.    Top of it should be slightly below level of lower lens divider.  Which would let hte stripe go lower.   Use the decals instead of molded SML I guess?  To give it dimension, maybe leave it on the decal paper, paint/marker the edges, and glue to side of car.  Or apply to a think piece of sheet and apply.  The end cap may need a tiny amount of plastic added at bottom of sides to match the edge of taillight lens housings.  And of course, everything has to be fit together carefully to start with.  file and scrape to fit as best possible.  Cut rear bumper off and sand to close gap.  Glue it in.   Then, looking at photos on page 2 here, (side view), get all that in place and gently taper the bottom of rocker up to match bottom of bumper.   Looks like the sample on P2 has almost parallel character line and some 1:1 photos show a slight taper at the rear.  Using a ruler to photo on screen (no particular scaling) shows a measurement of 15 at the rear wheel opening and about 12.5 where it meets bumper.   And it is a model.   If you fudge it, it will be okay.   Not like the Chevelle gods are going to rain heckfire down on you.  

I've got a Johnny Lightning that I'm happy with and the vinyl top on it is horrendous.  Bottom profile on c pillar is curved downward instead of upward; stripe runs through door handle (might can use the black set from this kit on the diecast...

I *think* I can make the kit work to suit me.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I also think the tail light bezel-to-quarter panel end cap fit on the 1:1 is an incredibly tricky fit, and perhaps it's not even possible to pull off when things are reduced to 1:25 scale. I guess we'll see as more are built.

There are two lips on the quarter panel of the model to positively locate the caps. They fit very nicely to the quarters, better than the 1:1 GMs of the era that I have messed with.

10 minutes ago, Rodent said:

There are two lips on the quarter panel of the model to positively locate the caps. They fit very nicely to the quarters, better than the 1:1 GMs of the era that I have messed with.

So true!

59 minutes ago, drodg said:

So true!

LOL, after I posted this, I started thinking about the 68 Mustang that I owned from 1977-2001. The top edge of the end caps weren't even the same shape as the tops of the quarters. Quarters were more "dipped" and the caps were straighter. Original car, original paint.