Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revel email color - air brush

You may want to experiment with some different thinners. From your photo, it looks as if the Revell thinner is white spirit, which is good for cleaning brushes. I would suggest trying to thin the paint with lacquer thinner, and test it on some plastic.

https://www.revell.de/en/products/colors-accessories/email-colours/

It sounds like there may be a few different paint configurations in their line, with some being a lacquer.

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=158

^^ if this is available locally, it may be worth trying some and spraying over something to test (like plastic spoons or a scrap body), see if it performs better through the airbrush.

Email is German for Enamel, but Revell Email is a synthetic enamel and doesn't take well to being thinned with white spirits, I have thinned them using lacquer thinners, metallic paints will react if thinned with anything but their own thinners, thinned correctly I find they airbrush really nice, what ratio are you thinning the paint ??

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The tin reminds me of Humbrol. Connection? :unsure:

The earliest version of Revell paint was indeed produced by Humbrol, see the tin below. But that did not last long, I would guess from 1980 on, Revell produced the paint themselves. With Humbrol getting worse in quality every year (in my perception), I'm starting to like this Revell paint more and more. Quite a few of the range are matched to RAL colors.

humbrol-f01a.jpg  humbrol-f01b.jpg

The pictures are from my Humbrol tin evolution webpage.

Rob

On 5/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, GeeBee said:

Email is German for Enamel, but Revell Email is a synthetic enamel and doesn't take well to being thinned with white spirits, I have thinned them using lacquer thinners, metallic paints will react if thinned with anything but their own thinners, thinned correctly I find they airbrush really nice, what ratio are you thinning the paint ??

I’m using 1;1 and try 1 paint with 0.5 thinner

Thanks for the replays 

I try to use the revel colors for clear coating 

my search after good glossy finish continue . 
can anyone recommend glossy finish I can then polishing and get the best look possible. 
I’m using 0.2 air brush 

and build rally cars and f1 

Thanks

meiri

12 hours ago, Starter77 said:

Thanks for the replays 

I try to use the revel colors for clear coating 

my search after good glossy finish continue . 
can anyone recommend glossy finish I can then polishing and get the best look possible. 
I’m using 0.2 air brush 

and build rally cars and f1 

Thanks

meiri

You're going to need an airbrush with a slightly bigger needle set up than 0.2 to paint car bodies if you're after a smooth glossy finish, 0.2 is great for small details.

It is always good to practice your airbrushing techniques, and paint/thinner ratios by painting plastic spoons or soft drink bottles.  That way you don't have to worry about messing up your model. Once you figure out the thinning ratio, the air pressure, and nozzle opening on spoons or bottles, then you can paint your model.

Hi guys 

thanks for the help.

i will give revel paint another try .

Here in Israel it’s pretty hard to get all the paint I see on you tube so I’m trying my best with what I can get ( few tamiya and revel ) 

it will work for sure. 

I don’t know if it’s the right place to ask another question but I’ll give it a shot 

im was try to building hasegawa 1:24 lancia stratos hf and since it’s old kit from 2004 the decals was very delicate and destroyed while trying to position on the body. 
my question is if someone know a place I can buy this same decals ? 

image.jpg