Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roll on Yellow Camaro!

Dragonhawk1066

Getting started on my next project, the Yellow Camaro from Gumball Rally. I haven't really done a continuous in-progress topic yet, so hopefully I can remember to take pics and update my progress in a reasonable fashion. I also hope I can put up some decent work and not embarrass myself with shoddy work and results?. I thought about waiting a while on this build until the new full bumper Camaro kit from AMT came out for better turn signal accuracy, but I'm hearing it's going to be delayed until at least September and I really don't want to wait til then at minimum, so it'll be a test of my skills for sure. First thing I have to do is fix the shoddy mold on the passenger front fender. Thanks for looking!

DSCN4175.JPG

DSCN4172.JPG

DSCN4246.JPG

DSCN4247.JPG

18 hours ago, beeRS said:

I always liked this AMT kit for the accuracy of the body. Looking forward to seeing this come together. Hopefully the green plastic won't present any problems when painting yellow.

This has always been my favorite Camaro body style, and despite the mold issue on the body and excessive flash on pretty much every part, the kit is very well detailed and should build up pretty well. I might look into picking up some sealer to spray on before priming.

13 hours ago, espo said:

I like the scoop, looks very close to the windshield.  What are your plans for the orange Camaro in the back ground ?  

Thanks, I have to gauge how it sits on the movie car before I glue it on. The orange one is going to be a Pro-Touring car complete with the LS motor/trans from the Revell SSR kit, and a cowl induction hood from Lex's Scale Modeling. I have color/paint plans for it. but I'm not going to reveal them yet as it might take a while to get it done, lol. I was thinking of doing a thread for that one too, but I'll be lucky to remember to update the one thread alone?.

DSCN4244.JPG

Well when you get to it please post your build. I personally like the bright Orange color, but not the whole kit in Orange plastic. I would think to change color or do something with the interior your going to need a lot of primer there. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

Well when you get to it please post your build. I personally like the bright Orange color, but not the whole kit in Orange plastic. I would think to change color or do something with the interior your going to need a lot of primer there. 

I'll probably post a few progress pics if I'm happy with how things are going. At the moment, the plan is for some shade of blue for the body and probably a black interior, but plans may change if I can't prevent the orange from bleeding through. I will probably end up buying a can of duplicolor primer/sealer for both of these kits as I understand that will prevent any bleed through.

13 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I'll probably post a few progress pics if I'm happy with how things are going. At the moment, the plan is for some shade of blue for the body and probably a black interior, but plans may change if I can't prevent the orange from bleeding through. I will probably end up buying a can of duplicolor primer/sealer for both of these kits as I understand that will prevent any bleed through.

I have seen other builders here suggest that they had good luck starting with a Silver base as a sealer. I think you would have better luck with the automotive type primer on the colors you're working with, but that's just my opinion.  

9 hours ago, espo said:

I have seen other builders here suggest that they had good luck starting with a Silver base as a sealer. I think you would have better luck with the automotive type primer on the colors you're working with, but that's just my opinion.  

I have heard that also, and that is definitely an option. I have gotten quite fond of Stynylrez primers sprayed through my airbrush over the last few months so I'll see how that does initially and then go from there.

In for a penny, in for a pound. I decided to cut out the turn signal lights on the front valance. I was freaking out every step of the way, but I think they look o.k. Trimmed the scoop a little more and got it placed on the hood. Now I just need to sand the extra putty off and spray some primer on it and see how it looks.

DSCN4253.JPG

DSCN4254.JPG

DSCN4255.JPG

DSCN4257.JPG

DSCN4260.JPG

Thanks! I really wanted to be as accurate as possible, so not doing the correct parking lights seemed like it would be too obvious. The parking lights next to the headlights should be covered up by the fog/driving lights that every participant car in the movie seemed to have.

the-gumball-rally-camaro-shelby-cobra-ferrari-rare_1_363f31bb063f35877e90f067ff6ab7d7.jpg

3 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks! I really wanted to be as accurate as possible, so not doing the correct parking lights seemed like it would be too obvious. The parking lights next to the headlights should be covered up by the fog/driving lights that every participant car in the movie seemed to have.

the-gumball-rally-camaro-shelby-cobra-ferrari-rare_1_363f31bb063f35877e90f067ff6ab7d7.jpg

Looks like they the parking lights are not present next the headlights.  Doesn't that make it a '72-'73 model?

IMCDb.org: 1972 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 in "The Gumball Rally, 1976"

Edited by afx

5 hours ago, afx said:

Looks like they the parking lights are not present next the headlights.  Doesn't that make it a '72-'73 model?

Not really sure on that one, I don't think anyone really knows exactly what year the movie car was.  I did a google search to see which years had which parking lights, and from what I could tell both parking light locations were available for each of the '70-73 years of the Camaro. I'll probably file and fill the upper parking lights, as I don't think the fog lights will cover them without looking dumb, lol.

8 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice project Craig!  This is a very beautiful Camaro body style and the hood scoop you planned to make looks very good... very Chevy I would say!  Good job on the front valance by the way!

Thank you Francis, I was sweating bullets the whole time ?, lol. This has always been my favorite Camaro body style.

A little more progress. Got some gray primer on it to see any imperfections that need attention before a wet sand. Then a coat or two of white primer followed by the color coats. The interior is coming along nicely. just some dash detail and that should wrap that up. I'll start on the engine and suspension next after some detail and small parts painting. This is the part that usually slows me down, as no matter how organized I think I am, I always forget to paint some parts or miss a detail or two and have to go back to fix it.

20200522_165301.jpg

20200522_165209.jpg

Got it in white primer now, just not sure when I'll get to the color coats. Quick mock of the seats on the interior pan, and a shot of the finished dash. I primed the seats with Stynylrez black primer, and liked the way they looked, kind of like the fabric material of many seats from back then, so I left them and just painted the inserts and sides and used some satin clear for the vinyl look.

DSCN4263.JPG

DSCN4264.JPG

DSCN4262.JPG

DSCN4265.JPG

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Good job on that dash. Man I just dunno if I could have the stones to put those "KC" lights on the front of this beauty. That's just me though.

Looking forward to more.....

Thanks! You know, I'm kind of torn. I want to do the car as close to what it looked like in the movie as possible, and have spent hours looking at videos and photos to get the last details right, but you are right, those driving lights are just plain ugly...on all of the cars in the movie. I get the use and function, but ??.