Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa BMW 2002 tii

beeRS

Hi folks,

I start a project - I add detail - I add more detail - I modify it too much and before I know it, I'm stuck in a rut and then never seem to get anything finished. Its always the same story!

So, this time I've decided to build something straight out of the box and resist the temptation to modify or over detail things. If I cant get this finished in a few weeks there's no hope for me. I'm building Hasegawa's BMW 2002 tii. I've always liked these cars. I have early boyhood memories of going to see one with my dad at a used car lot. He did't buy that car but I wish he had.

2002-Tii.jpg

P4250002.jpg

imageproxy.jpg

I'm going to try and stick with a factory colours as available for the Tii in 1971. This won't be the best model on my shelf - that's not my objective. I just want to practice a few new painting techniques, have a bit of fun and for once, just finish something.

Wish me luck!

Start .... and never finish, I *never* do that. ?  I have the Turbo version, with photo-etch and engine details, been drooling over door panels for this kit.  I'll, be lucky to ever get on the bench!  I would be tempted with the Golf safety color.

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Start .... and never finish, I *never* do that. ?  I have the Turbo version, with photo-etch and engine details, been drooling over door panels for this kit.  I'll, be lucky to ever get on the bench!  I would be tempted with the Golf safety color.

Who makes the engine bits for it?

On 5/15/2020 at 6:35 PM, Scale-Master said:

Be extra careful with that thin chrome side trim.

Surely will - they look very fragile!

On 5/15/2020 at 7:35 PM, Dann Tier said:

I'm gonna follow this little Beauty!!...Bring it on, Bud!!!!

Thanks.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:10 PM, Italianhorses said:

Nice! If you haven't picked the color yet, I vote Baikal (lake I'm from) or Taiga.

Its a great kit. I have it in my to do pile.

Baikal is nice, but someone on this forum recently did a beautiful paintjob in BRG, and I can't deny that it influenced me a little.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:38 AM, 89AKurt said:

I was tempted by the engine kit and the door panels from USCP, but had to stop myself from getting carried away.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:22 PM, Funkychiken said:

Man, good luck for a 2 week build andrews that temptation to over detail!

Thanks!

Made a little slow progress on this one.

P4250007.jpg

8560498651-ed78904898-b.jpg

Body looks good and all my references show the proportions and details to be spot on. Good that's what I like - no corrections to be made.

P4260025b.jpg

I wish I could say the same about the glass. The side glass stretches about 2-3 scale inches lower than the window openings at the side. The blue arrow shows where the openings are, and the red line shows how much further down the glass goes. You would not think that this could cause a problem, but it means that the interior door panels don't reach up as high as they should. Its not a major issue, but it just seems wrong in my eyes and so I'm going to 'correct' it.

P4260033.jpg

I'm using these two strips of plastic sheet to add a little height to the inner door panels.

P5010042.jpg

P5010040.jpg

And doing away with the side glass. Here I have marked the outlines of the window openings so that I can cut along a A and C pillars.

P5010043.jpg

P5010044.jpg

This leaves me with just the parts I want - the front and rear screens. I will make up the side glass later using clear sheet that is far thinner.

P4260031.jpg

P4260032.jpg

For a kit design that includes such good detail in most places, its shocking that Hasegawa just failed to add any detail to the inner door panels. They are just flat, with the faintest hint of engravings. I did think about using the after-market door panels from USCP, but I'm not sure if I'd have to modify the tops of the doors to reach the window openings too. It would be a shame to buy them and then have to modify them. Instead, I'm just going to scratch build some arm rests. They are not exactly a perfect reproduction of how they should be in a Tii, but I just want to add some visual interest to the panels, without getting in too deep.

Oh, and this project was meant to be a quickie!!

Edited by beeRS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, beeRS said:

[...]

I was tempted by the engine kit and the door panels from USCP, but had to stop myself from getting carried away.

[...]

For a kit design that includes such good detail in most places, its shocking that Hasegawa just failed to add any detail to the inner door panels. They are just flat, with the faintest hint of engravings. I did think about using the after-market door panels from USCP, but I'm not sure if I'd have to modify the tops of the doors to reach the window openings too. It would be a shame to buy them and then have to modify them. Instead, I'm just going to scratch build some arm rests. They are not exactly a perfect reproduction of how they should be in a Tii, but I just want to add some visual interest to the panels, without getting in too deep.

Oh, and this project was meant to be a quickie!!

I know right? ?  Liking what you are doing, will refer to this if I ever get around to building mine.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, so good! I've resisted the temptation to cut the hood open and install Fujimi's BMW straight 6 (yes - I really did think about that), and the temptation to over detail. Just sticking to basics, I've made some good progress.

P5190096.jpg

The body was shot straight from a Tamiya TS9 can. This is the first time I have ever used Tamiya sprays and I am very impressed.

P5070051.jpg

I've done the entire floor pan the same as the body, but sprayed the final coat from a distance of about 2 feet, to give a slight textured finish.

P5160071.jpg

P5180088.jpg

After the paint was left to cure for a few days, I proceeded with 3200 grade, 6000 grade, and 8000 grade Micro polishing cloths. Then, at the final stage I broke through the top coat and tiny flecks of grey primer began to show on the roof. Oh joy!:(

P5190097.jpg

So, another coat of TS-9 went on. This was only a thin coat, and surprisingly this came out super smooth. Maybe the fine sanding prior to the top coat just meant the paint flowed to a great finish. Maybe it was just because we had such an unusually warm day here in the UK. At any rate, I'm not going to bother with the polishing cloths this time, and will just polish with a compound.

P5190093.jpg

Fuel tank is masked off and airbrushed in Zero paint's 'Steel'.

P5200098.jpg

The area around the engine should really be a gap. This is just one of those shortcomings you have to deal with when it comes to a 'curbide' sometimes. What this really calls for is Vanta-black. If anyone ever introduces this paint to the model world it would be great. If you don't know what Vant-black is, just google it. It's the closest thing in the real world to Wile E Coyote painting a tunnel on the side of a rock. I don't have Vanta-black, so this is Tamiya's flat black laquer.

P5220011.jpg

P5220013.jpg

One more round of masking and the sump is airbrushed in the same 'Steel' as the fuel tank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time to show a little (very little!) progress on this one

P5210006.jpg

Painted the bulk of the interior in Tamiya 'Rubber' black. I really like this shade of black as it is really an off-black, and does not look too dark.

P5210008.jpg

To contrast, other parts have been sprayed Tamiya semi-gloss black.

P5250019.jpg

Added a little visual interest to the door panels, with a silver strip sticker. This should be chrome on the real car. The carpet was done with embossing powder, and then airbrushed over. This is the first and last time I'll use that stuff. The finish seems to be so delicate that its just flaking off. Maybe I did not use enough glue. I used PVA (wood glue). Perhaps I should have used something stronger??

P5300001.jpg

Assembling the rear suspension, I noticed that the transmission shaft has a joint in the middle of it, that would not be there on the 1:1 item.

P5300002.jpg

P5310007.jpg

Fixed! with a little filler and re-paint.

P5300005.jpg

Kit supplied decals added for the gauges, and then sealed with a layer of clear.

P6020008.jpg

Wheels done. Airbrushed in Zero's 'white aluminium'. The lug bolt heads were done with Molotow pen. This is the first time I've used that stuff - its good! Shame the tyres don't have any side wall markings - seems to be the way of all new kits nowadays.

That's all for now. Thanks for watching by build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 6:05 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Enjoying watching your progress on this kit. I did mine in a pearl white but that is as far as I got. Thanks for the heads up on the glass. I may do that,.

Thanks! You got to finish yours. I'd love to see one in peal white.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:40 PM, Italianhorses said:

Looking good!

Thanks Alex.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:57 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Good to see it progressing, looking great so far.

Hasegawa are bringing out some nice kits, this one is definitely on my list to get someday.

Yes - I do like a lot of Hasegawa stuff. Its great to see they kitted a classic like this BMW, rather than go for the newer super-car stuff. Hopefully more subjects like this will appear.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:03 PM, Funkychiken said:

Looking Good Sonny!

Good save on the body paint!

Thanks. Its not 100% saved, but good enough for this project. I can see where the flaws are, but it doesn't show so much in the photos.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:00 AM, Dann Tier said:

Looking VERY good, Bud!!!!

Thanks Dann.

I got sidetracked with work (why do we have to go to work!), so the 2002 has been a little ignored lately. However, I'm determined to get this one finished, so small steps forward...

P6210013.jpg

P6210014.jpg

Body has been polished with Novus 2, then Novus 1. I'm going to do a final polish/wax at the last stage after everything is assembled.

P6210002.jpg

I couldn't resist a quick mock-up to check the stance. Its good that the ride height is correct (according to my reference pics), straight from the box. All four wheels sit squarely too - I don't always get this straight out of the box, but with the likes of Tamiya and Hasagawa you don't have to worry too much.

P6210005.jpg

Underside is complete. I might try a little weathering here. Interestingly, the joint in the transmission shaft that I took the time to fill/sand and re-paint gets covered up with the rear suspension sub-frame, so I needn't have bothered!

P6210009.jpg

P6210010.jpg

P6210007.jpg

Interior is completed. It doesn't show well enough in these pics, but you might just be able to see the scratch built arm rests front and rear, and the silver door trim strips.

P6230021.jpg

P6230020.jpg

I'm trying two different masking methods here. On the front screen, I've masked using Tamiya tape. On the rear, I've used bare metal foil as masking. I want to see which gives me the most crisp edge. We'll see...

P6230022.jpg

Thanks for watching. Comments, tips and criticisms are always welcome.