Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 SCALE A/FC NITRO FUNNY CAR

On 12/14/2020 at 8:54 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I am glad to see you back on the bench Ian!  Good update with well done details, you are moving in the right direction sir!

Thank you for the kind words Michael ,  coming from you that means a lot!  It's not so much back to the bench as back to posting.  PRO has been steady but slow  I'm  catching up on the posts now

A fiddly exercise I'm sure Ian but you it was worth it no doubt.   For me it is always amazing how much time it consumes to accomplish what seems pretty simple, but it's never "simple".    The entire car is shaping up very well.    cheers, tim

Edited by Codi

2 hours ago, Codi said:

A fiddly exercise I'm sure Ian but you it was worth it no doubt.   For me it is always amazing how much time it consumes to accomplish what seems pretty simple, but it's never "simple".    The entire car is shaping up very well.    cheers, tim

Thank you for the kind words Tim,  your work is incredible and I'm following your project very closely. 

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

One thing is certain, you do not take shortcuts to make your components and that is reflected in your build.  All the ingredients come together for a high caliber build and I love it!  Keep doing the good work Ian!!!

Thank you Mike.  I'm trying to push my limits on this one, and learning to work with  brass is one of those limits.

Edited by Ian McLaren

Car sitting on it's tube supports for the first time, kit clutch peddle, first and second upgrade replacement.  Front body structure with body latch mechanism installed.  I am re stripping the paint off the entire structure as it did not stick at all . Going to try a self etching primer this time as opposed to the Tamiya Grey.  Detail shots of the body latch rod assy.  Not sure the spring is going to be heavy enough.  Now that the ride height is permanently set by proper supports front and rear I'm am starting on the body tin work.  Custom built aluminum injector stacks have been ordered from Jeff Ferris and once they arrive I can finish the intake manifold and continue on with the engine.

IMG_6643 (1).JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

IMG_6683.JPG

IMG_6687.JPG

IMG_6688.JPG

IMG_6689.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Starting tin work and firewall on the body.   Building frame work to support the tin around the chassis, All of the pieces are fabricated out of  .100" Evergreen L sections. Pieces shown next to chassis, roughed out firewall with mid plate flange in place. Chassis ow sits on the front and back structures as per the actual car and the midplate flange also just touches for a stable assembly.IMG_6698.JPG.364de799972be8fa9be50aabb234bba8.JPG

IMG_6712.JPG

IMG_6704.JPG

IMG_6706.JPG

IMG_6708.JPG

Firewall with  fire windows cut out and framed,  Upper tin framework and outer support structure added, tin and firewall test fitting body, tin, and chassis  assembled for the first time  Front and rear structures and fire wall all touching equally,  the assemble is centered and straight. Success!

IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6775.JPG

IMG_6815.JPG

IMG_6817.JPG