Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 SCALE A/FC NITRO FUNNY CAR

2 hours ago, F/CNUT said:

Nice detail. I have been following your  since the beginning. I'am building the 1/16th 74 SPEED  EQUIPMENT WORLD VEGA. Can you tell me what material you used for your tranny blanket.

Thank you Stephen.   As far as the blanket goes there are two answers.  The large section body of the blanket is a standard black napkin for one of our favorite restaurants ( they like us so they gave me a new one, didn't have to liberate it)  I was going to try to use it to replicate carbon fiber cloth using Aero Poxy resin and it worked sort of.  For the blanket it worked quite well, as the blanket is not square due to the shape of the transmission also the seam around the edge looks quite convincing as the reinforced edge of the blanket.  The downside is that it has to be glued to the transmission using contact cement. I chose to just glue the straight edge down once it was installed, as in this case the straps are functional and actually hold the blanket on.  The reverser section is 3M self adhesive medical tape spray painted semi gloss black with Cromax Bumper and Trim Satin Black from my shop.  I had tried the tape before but with model paint and it never really looked solid black, maybe more coats would have done the trick.  The process I used was take a strip of the tape and stick it to a piece of wood (it sticks too good to smooth surfaces) two coats of the trim paint let it sit for half an hour then pull it up and let it hang free for 24 hours.  After that the adhesive on the back still works and it sticks to the model and itself with an overlap.  Both methods have advantages but the tape deal is pretty simple and slick.   BTY the Deist logo is simply a decal  that has been dull coated then applied with a couple of coats of decal set  2 - 3 hours apart or more.

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren

16 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Ian!

Great mock-up, it shows all the planning that went into this car. Bravo!

And I can see there is another race car in the background? This styrene fever never goes away, isn't it?

CT 

Thank you Claude, it is nice when things actually go together kind of like you planed it. Good eye on the background.  I was stuck for a few days waiting for parts on this car. I had this idea running around in my head for a future project and there was some extra tubing laying around, you know how it goes LOL.  The result, a late 80s 1/16 scale 300 inch rear engine top fuel car was born. Perhaps Eddy Hills First in the 4s Pennzoil car, if I can find the correct cylinder heads and wheels for it.

IMG_6465.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 6:16 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Ian!

Well, more impressive stuff for us to feast on. Bravo, and keep them coming!

CT 

Thanks Claude but this one is on the back burner for a while, I have a Canadian Top Fuel FED  that I'm really excited about.  I've  been asked to build it for the owner who has restored it.

1 minute ago, Ian McLaren said:

Thanks Claude but this one is on the back burner for a while, I have a Canadian Top Fuel FED  that I'm really excited about.  I've  been asked to build it for the owner who has restored it.

Hi Ian!

Good for you!

Last year, I made a marketing mandate for a friend here in Québec city. He bought a one-year old Tof Fuel dragster from a well know US racing  "star", and campaigned it as a "hobby" in about 15 NHRA events before the Covid meldown happened... Interresting hobby, but mucho expensive. My job was to search and obtain sponsorship for the team.

It never ceases to amaze me what people will do for  a thrill. But I think I will stick to styrene for the time being... 

CT

Chassis primed and being sanded and minor touch ups, ready for color and chassis in body with added bracing and chute release cable routing in   For the cable additional tiedowns and brackets will be added once the body interior is painted. Body tin now located by a slot at the front edge to hold it tight to the body and locate it laterally but still allow removal.

IMG_7239.JPG

IMG_7233.JPG

16 minutes ago, Ian McLaren said:

Chassis primed and being sanded and minor touch ups, ready for color and chassis in body with added bracing and chute release cable routing in   For the cable additional tiedowns and brackets will be added once the body interior is painted. Body tin now located by a slot at the front edge to hold it tight to the body and locate it laterally but still allow removal.

IMG_7239.JPG

IMG_7233.JPG

Hi Ian!

This exquisite bare frame gives  full meaning to the word "triangulation", eh? Great!

CT 

I'm confused Ian, do I want to see the funny car finished or do I cheer you on to stop what you're doing and move onto the dragster instead......I only say that as I'm not capable of doing 2 at the same time.   Both look GREAT all the same.   Congrats to you!   tim

3 hours ago, Codi said:

I'm confused Ian, do I want to see the funny car finished or do I cheer you on to stop what you're doing and move onto the dragster instead......I only say that as I'm not capable of doing 2 at the same time.   Both look GREAT all the same.   Congrats to you!   tim

Tim the dragster is just in the preliminary stages of gathering parts and the valve covers and slicks with their wheels are the star attractions of the build.  The funny car is the priority right now but it will probably  stop just short of completion as Chuck is really backed up on decals and this being a one off deal will have to wait till he has the time to draw them.