Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 SCALE A/FC NITRO FUNNY CAR

On 3/28/2021 at 5:48 PM, majel said:

Amazing work Ian!!  There is a group of you who have taken model building to a whole nother level.  

Thank you for the complement Jim I am honored you like my work.  I have really been pushing myself on this one.  I am however, nowhere near the level displayed by many of the modelers just on this thread alone let alone the full site. Their work never ceases to amaze me!

Headers are painted, fuel pump in progress, interior tin has been painted (Smoked Red) and the steering gear is ready to install. The only original part of the gear assembly is the box casting itself, all shafts are metal, crossmember and pitman arm are scratch built and the steering wheel is Future Attractions with real wooden grips added,  a RB Motion bolt and nut pin with washers was used to attach the pitman arm.

IMG_7301.JPG

IMG_7307.JPG

3 hours ago, Codi said:

Ah, onto the "fun" stuff.  Everything looks super Ian......I've no doubt you're relishing this part!  cheers, tim

Yes Tim starting assembly puts a completely  different feel to the project.  You actually start to think there's an end somewhere.

On 4/13/2021 at 6:31 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Ian!

Well, I knew there were very good professionnal pipe-fitters in Alberta, but your mastery of such assembly is world-class!

CT

To be honest I have plumbed a few real cars in the past so I have a feel for how the hose reacts in the real world. This Hilborn system threw me a curve so changes in the schematic are in progress

On 4/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

It's always nice when you start to see real progress on a long project even if at the end of it, there's always a bit of nostalgia that sets in...  Very nice plumbing work by the way! 👌

Thankyou Francis I'm reasonably happy with the look so far,  Making a couple of changes and adding the rest of the lines

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 5:56 PM, charlie libby said:

wow first time here your work is so realistic , its amazing.will continue to watch for future updates.

Thank you for the kind words Charlie. I really like your mustang project and wish I had your machining skills.

The chassis is basically completed with the exception of the belly pan and side tins.  They are going to be installed last, once the body is final fitted with it's tin and all clearances are double checked.  The finish on the tins is so fragile there can been no contact with the body tin.  The next few updates will deal with the body, it's internal structures and tin parachute and roof mounted handle and the external paint job and hopefully decals by then.  Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

IMG_7543.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7539.JPG

IMG_7517.JPG

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7541.JPG

IMG_7545.JPG

IMG_7547.JPG