Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar Mk2, Tamiya, 1/24

Matt Bacon

Not sure why this one has been lingering unopened on the shelf for so long, but I decided it was time it wasn't. Usual Tamiya well-engineered kit, which even includes material and templates for carpets!

first-parts-primered.jpg

body-in-primer.jpg

First few parts getting started. Body is primed with Stynylrez, which is my go-to for going under Zero paints these days.

body-in-blue.jpg

It was a choice between gunmetal with red interior, or this Opalescent Silver Blue (a homebrew using Zero Pearlescent White as a starting point). The interior will be blue and grey.

shiny-blue-body.jpg

shiny-blue-body-3.jpg

And with the Diamond 2K Clear on top. Shutlines darkened with Citadel Leviadon Blue Contrast paint.

best,

M.

Thanks, all... progress is still being made, albeit slowly...first, the engine:

engine4.jpg

engine1.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine2.jpg

...and the interior is done:

carpets.jpg

The instructions have neat templates for cutting out the "carpet" provided in the kit. Mine had the self-adhesive "velvet" material, but in red, so not really appropriate for this colour scheme. However, a few quid on eBay later, I have enough blue material to carpet at least 20 classic cars...

inside-anatomised.jpg

Time to finish the chassis...

best,

M.

Thank you, gentlemen. @beeRS I think I searched for “self adhesive velour vinyl” but “velvet sticky backed plastic” might work as well... A 3ft x 14” roll was about £5 (The red piece in the kit is about 3”x2”, so I’ve got 80 or so cars worth, as long as they’re blue...)

best,

M.

Your paint finish on this one is excellent, Matt...... and this Jaguar is one of the best from Tamiya, along with the Morgan...... I have two of these Tamiya Jaguar kits, one is built and converted to a MK I with rear wheel arch spats, and the second is waiting to be built as a MK II at some point. This is how a 1:24 scale kit should be produced, and Tamiya have got this one absolutely right, in my opinion.  The fit of the parts is so precise, particularly the chassis / floor pan to the body.

David

Thanks very much, guys.A bit more substantial progress over the last few days:

chassis-done-1.jpg

chassis-done-2.jpg

chassis-done-3.jpg

That's the chassis done. Brake disks are my usual recipe: Humbrol Metalcote Steel from a rattle can, polished up for the disks, lightly drybrushed for the callipers, and the centres painted Tamiya Titanium Gold.

interior-done-1.jpg

interior-done-2.jpg

interior-done-3.jpg

The interior assembles nicely. I've seen people complain about the simplified door furniture, but I figure once it's all inside you won't be able to tell...

Finally, a quick mockup to see how it all goes together:

mockup-in-body-1.jpg

mockup-in-body-3.jpg

Which confirms my feeling that although the contrast on the seats maybe looks a little overdone out in the open, once it's inside it just gives an impression of some detail.

Lots of details to start adding now. The one area where this Tamiya kit is lacking is in engine bay details. The heater and battery are there and still to go in, but if you open a real Mk2 bonnet, the impression is of a pretty well packed engine bay, while in the kit there's really a lot of room around the engine. Still, there are plenty of good reference photos out there...

best,

M.

Looking good!  I built this kit and found out that the metal side moldings didn't want to stick.  I ended up using thin strips of Bare Metal Foil instead.

JagMkII01.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Thanks, guys!

engine-bay-as-provided-1.jpg

engine-bay-as-provided-2.jpg

This is (more or less) what the kit gives you for the engine bay. The Lucas decals for the battery came from some handy sponsor logos I had available, and the little filling cap on the radiator and its overflow tube are home made. But see those big empty blue sidewalls? They are pretty crowded on the real thing. So, on with some "gizmology", based on my "Factory Original Jaguar Mk2" book...

engine-bay-bits-1.jpg

engine-bay-bits-2.jpg

I know what some of these are... The fuel filter (clear dome thing) is a bit overscale, but I wasn't going to start turning down perspex rod to make a slightly smaller one, so it's a spare bit of clear sprue. The wash bottle and pump (clear blue thing) should in theory either be clear, with blue liquid, but square, or cylindrical but white plastic. However, I had a blue cocktail stirrer that I'd been keeping for just such a purpose, and the hybrid design will add interest to the engine bay. The black and silver box thing in the middle is the main electric control unit, which has a lot of terminals under the black cover. The other two are probably reservoirs of some kind, though the smaller square one has several wires coming out of the top. The wash bottle, control unit and wiring loom go on the exhaust side of the engine bay, and the fuel pump and the two reservoirs go on the carburetor side. I'll put some wires and maybe the fuel lines in when I mount all these on the bay walls, but I'm not planning to reproduce them all... I just want it to look well-filled and busy...

best,

M.

Thanks, guys... I think I've done more or less as much in the engine bay as my patience, eyesight, and stocks of varied sizes of wire will stand...

engine-bay-from-right.jpg

engine-bay-from-front-right.jpg

engine-bay-from-left.jpg

A little bit of cleaning and tidying to do, but the chassis is now complete, I reckon.

chassis-right-XL.jpg

chassis-left.jpg

chassis-top.jpg

Window glass next...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon