Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar Mk2, Tamiya, 1/24

Matt Bacon

There was a Daimler version of this car. I believe that it had a Rover V8 engine instead of the Jaguar unit. The grille shape was almost the same shape but had the fluted top reminiscent of the Daimler Marque The Rover V8 unit I believe was a Buick design and made under licence in the UK by what was then British Leyland. This engine was used in the big Rover Saloon and Coupe  in the 70's, but most were destined for the earlier Range Rovers.

The Tamiya kit is very nice having built one. I think that a River V8 engine kit is available from South Eastern Finecast in the UK so there could be a conversion possibility here.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

There was a Daimler version of this car. I believe that it had a Rover V8 engine instead of the Jaguar unit.

The Daimler is a pretty desirable car. It had a more chi-chi interior as well as the fluted radiator. The engine is actually Daimler’s own 2.5 litre V8, not the 3.5 Rover. It was first used in the SP250 Dart and Majestic Major saloon, whilst Daimler was independent. The SP250 was a quirky sports car, but had no place in a model range that had the E-Type.

best,

M.

I think this is the home stretch now. The metal transfers were not as bad as I'd feared, but I've had to use some "Mr Gauzy" to hold the smaller ones in place and very thin superglue at some wayward ends (the front of the bonnet and the lower rear ends at the tail, where they bend in two directions at once. But they are on, and look pretty sharp. The lettering was actually harder to deal with than the stripes, in the end...

nearly-done-front-right.jpg

nearly-done-rear-right.jpg

nearly-done-front-left.jpg

nearly-done-rear-left.jpg

Time for lights and last details...

best,

M.

Gorgeous. Look forward to under glass photos. I am sure glad I have one of these kits in my stash and hope my future build will be up to your standards. One of the largest Jaguar only car shows in the North America usually takes place every summer a few kilometers away. I always enjoy seeing the MK 2s.

Very nice work, It's a beautiful car. Your colour scheme works well.

But yours, and mine, and all have I have seen completed appear to have the same very unlike Tamiya fault, in that the front wheel well sides don't clearly match to the body, and leave a gap. The result is that the car sits too high at the front, because the body won't drop down far enough. I don't know what the answer is, really, I've tried a number of things and failed. You might have better luck.