Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Kenworth W900

I started this Revell of Germany Kenworth W900 build back on 1 Dec 10, and after many trials & tribulations it languished on the Shelf of Shame until today!  It's finally finished.  The cab, hood, & sleeper were painted & striped by Jim Gavin (drinkone2), the "Landstar Ranger" decals are from the KFS US Cab Artwork Set #1, blue Alcoa wheel decals are from Scale Truck Studios, and the air deflector is from the Revell of Germany Peterbilt 359 kit.  Is it exactly how I envisioned it?  No, but sometimes you just have to say enough is enough, and get the job done.  I was going to try to finish it on its 10-year anniversary, but I got it done early.

Thanks for looking.

20200516_160033.jpg

20200516_160510.jpg

20200516_160534.jpg

20200516_160606.jpg

20200516_160802.jpg

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the kind comments.  It was a ling time coming.  (Isn't there a song with those lyrics? ?)

@Philippe, Merci beaucoup!  The 1:1 truck that I used for inspiration had painted fuel tanks, and I really liked that look.  Something different than the usual chrome or aluminum tanks.  Yes, the trailer is way too close to the back of the sleeper.  Unfortunately, the 5th wheel slide is molded into the 5th wheel plate on this kit, so I really can't adjust it; and the frame is probably too short for the 60" sleeper.  With the benefit of hindsight (remember I built the frame 10 years ago), would I do things differently if I build this kit again?  Yes, I would.  I would either (a) make it a day cab, (b) use the 36" sleeper from the AMT kit, or (c) add about 25mm - 38mm to the frame & use the 60" sleeper.

@Chris, thanks.  So when will we be seeing some South African rigs? ?

Edited by Jim B

Jim , the engine, the frame and the cab of the Revell W 900 seem to be very detailed . Is it the same inside the cab and sleeper ? Is it a good kit ,  can you tell if you encountered some difficulties during the assembly ? ( i have never made this one) . Thanks.       Philippe.

1 hour ago, grodudulle77 said:

Jim , the engine, the frame and the cab of the Revell W 900 seem to be very detailed . Is it the same inside the cab and sleeper ? Is it a good kit ,  can you tell if you encountered some difficulties during the assembly ? ( I have never made this one) . Thanks.       Philippe.

Philippe, if I remember right, the kit does go together well.  The air intake piping doesn't seem to fit well, and the mirrors can be a little fiddly; but I would say that for the most part, the kit fits well.  My major issue was painting that BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH red plastic!  The interior isn't bad, and there are dash decals; however, the sleeper is just an empty box.  Doesn't really matter as you can't see into it from the cab anyway.  I think the engine & frame would take quite well too plumbing.

@Tommy, thanks.  Yes, drinkone2 really did a great job on painting the cab, hood, & sleeper.  The pin striping around the arrow is vinyl pinstriping.  If Jim comments on this, he might be able to remember what he did.

08 Interior.JPG

09 Seats.JPG

Nice work Jim, I'm glad you finally got it finished! That was a looooong time ago when I painted that one and can honestly say it was the most challenging one, and it had nothing to do with the paint scheme. The dreaded red plastic that bled through no matter what I primed it with, and the clear lacquer that just wouldn't cure. You have done an excellent job, I really like the look with the painted tanks.

Thanks, Jim.  I really appreciate you painting this one for me. I know we had some issues, but I'm glad it's done.  On my inspiration 1:1 it had painted tanks, and I liked the look.  Something different.  The inspiration 1:1 didn't have the air deflector, though.  I added that because I liked the look.

I agree with you about the red plastic: it's horrible!