Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes G666 BenutzerdefiniertHinterntretenJadgAktenvernichterGeländewagenLimousine

89AKurt

ICM [Mercedes ? don't tip off Daimler Benz lawyers] G4 (1939 production) 1/24 scale is a nice looking kit.  I have always been fascinated by this car, when I built Bandai 1/48 Africa Korps as a teen, wished there was a kit.  Then Hasegawa came out with the 1/72 kit.  Years later this company in Ukraine came out with the 1/35 kits, several versions which are just top up or down.  What I find interesting, there are more parts on the smaller scale, such as separate frame and fenders, the big scale are molded together.   There is photo-etch for the 1/35, not for the 1/24, I just want a star!

Hasegawa, with modifications:
1443788762_MBstaffcarc.JPG.f0165c4958deaeab5c1963e27dd4782f.JPG

ICM 1/35:
IMG_2299_Fotor.thumb.jpg.2cd38bfce0578ef394a7911bcd164c96.jpg
IMG_2293_Fotor.jpg.19c7f44e48cdd0c70e8dec3a1d6f2ba7.jpg

This rendering is sort of what I'm thinking of, not the whitewalls:
1660281067_MBG4sedan.jpg.5e3902013732eebeb393ed22a68f3120.jpg

This AMG G63 is sort of what I'm aiming for:
1250080939_AMGG636x6.jpg.956ec118983663eb6a09e33ea2cc8e54.jpg

Measuring the roof from the Heller 170V sedan compared to the G4 body.  Used a proportional divider to draw to the same scale as the awesome instructions.
IMG_2100_Fotor.jpg.f054dd8d954d84202959ee87d6593e6a.jpg
IMG_2101_Fotor.jpg.1f7c3888ec84545dd858f634c77b1f3c.jpg

Been wanting to use these Fireball Modelworks LED light bars and farm jack on something, just because they are cool.
IMG_2158_Fotor.jpg.8b66a9f1a44fc48d3836bd064c75bb68.jpg

Found out about this book here on the forum.  Also got Hobby Design turbos.  Have nice diamond plate, a Mauser, jerry cans, should be good enough to start.  Have changed my mind on the design, will go for the pickup.
IMG_2413_Fotor.jpg.d73bc509bad574acb64c000a482400aa.jpg

The off road performance was not great, since the front axle was not driven.  Was thinking of imagineering a transfer case (using left over Celica part) and front axle (have a parts box differential and half shafts) with a modern independent suspension, with rack & pinion steering.  Will jack up a little, not go Bigfoot crazy, the tires are awesome so not going to change.  Rally style mud flaps are a must.  Paint color is undecided, but it's obvious what my first choice is, and this time gloss coat for sure.  The roof will require sectioning like crazy, body shouldn't be hard to stretch and make into an El Camino (just kidding), will *have to* make a working tailgate.  Bumpers will be shaped like a Jadgepanzer, with diamond plate on top, winch on the front might be cool.  The 1937-39 production had slightly fatter fenders, thinking of modifying.

I have not seen one of these kits built, now that I posted, some will probably come out of the woodwork. ?

custom = Benutzerdefiniert

kick butt = Hintern treten

hunting = Jadg

shredder = Aktenvernichter

terrain vehicle = Geländewagen

sedan = Limousine

Edited by 89AKurt

4 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Haha, nice. Very ambitious project - I know you can do it!

Good luck, I will follow for sure.

It's not the most ambitious ever, but will see.

2 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Love the title! Looks like a crazy difficult project, good luck!

Imagine filling in the contest paperwork, can I have another page?  Thanks!

39 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Cool project, I am hooked.

OMG don't do that to yourself. ?

On 5/17/2020 at 12:06 PM, Dann Tier said:

This build is gonna be SUPERCALAFRAGALISTICEXSPIALIDOCIOUS!!!!!

?

Broke plastic last night, goal is to build enough to know what needs to be modified.  Found some errors in the instructions, the front wheel hubs were numbered the same, but one has 2 holes and the other has 4, but since I have plans for a driven axle, not important.  Some other little parts on the rear axle were wrong, but I still managed to screw up assembly and had to fix, had problems on the 1/35 model too, it's a complicated assembly.  Have also found the two body parts, and the hood exhaust side are warped.  But for now, I can envision where I'm going with this.  Hard to tell in these pictures, the straight 8 is HUGE!
IMG_2578_Fotor.jpg.9049a41ab33b2d13214298f8ff7416cd.jpg
IMG_2579_Fotor.jpg.36a51d3da31d73fc93c1c883829d27fd.jpg
IMG_2580_Fotor.jpg.d1685129def5a32dba9f4048de4e853a.jpg
IMG_2581_Fotor.jpg.d17524ad037da08b6ced9350de52b2d8.jpg
IMG_2582_Fotor.jpg.0d36783041f6ac813c1ccbc722dd4de7.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt

8 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

GREAT start!!!....you could totally put a hot tub in the back!!!

Hey.... I've thought about doing such a thing with a regular pickup, bed with hydraulics to level the tub, so you could park next to a stream, fill with water, some sort of heater to get it hot, go for a mountain bike ride, get back and soak..... yea.

8 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Goodness.

?

6 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Cool stuff Kurt..I be watching the fun and games?

Good to have you along!

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

Hey.... I've thought about doing such a thing with a regular pickup, bed with hydraulics to level the tub, so you could park next to a stream, fill with water, some sort of heater to get it hot, go for a mountain bike ride, get back and soak..... yea.

?

Good to have you along!

LOL!!!.....NICE!!!!

23 hours ago, Russell C said:

Open to putting a bit of a rake into the body? Seen the "stock" rendering before elsewhere, probably in my image search for the car in the "Captain America Winter Soldier" movie, but I thought it looked nose-high. Couldn't resist altering it with a sizable long pie wedge section taken out right below the beltline.

[...]

No way can I lower the hood/radiator, will need all that space for turbo setup.  The belt line will be evaluated as I go, there are now two accent lines to choose from.

Cut apart the roof to section, after measuring and drawing out the basic size of the body.  Taped together with cardboard filler, about 11MM wider.  Also made the roof a little longer, for the limo look.
IMG_2583_Fotor.jpg.20dc8bd718a541e5c894c1a5bc2228b3.jpg
IMG_2584_Fotor.jpg.f959876baa754f9c06619d94a60516c1.jpg

The rear looks like the MB engineers were on meth, designed by committee.  Not using the trunk or that tacked on frame, thinking of extending the frame rails, perhaps straight back, with a proper bumper.  The body will be extended back, a tailgate will be cut in.  The gas tank will suffice.
IMG_2585_Fotor.jpg.d2b1d3823ccd3129e8c0f4453bc89da0.jpg
IMG_2586_Fotor.jpg.d57cef55067b3c1c61e8c68c583b2e1b.jpg

Will figure out how to plumb two turbochargers, with intercoolers.  Air filters will be something interesting, need to research Me109 Tropic air intakes, seems like I could do something better than Ricer conical filters.  These Hobby Design turbos are nice parts, with turbines inside that will never be seen.  Want to keep the iconic exhaust pipes that are like what Cord and Duesenberg had, using guitar string.  Expect to completely open this side of the hood.   I also need to be smart about running the driveshaft on the other side of the engine.
IMG_2587_Fotor.jpg.81449e4773a7872b932dc78eb6061606.jpg

More butchering of a perfectly good kit..... worked on the back.  A spare part from the previous project, the Toyota Celexus had a custom taillight panel that is almost perfect, don't need to worry about taillights and bumper!  Mocked up with wood and more cardboard, cut the frame end off, will make a simple frame that will fit the fuel tank.
IMG_2595_Fotor.jpg.0baaf458d03d502649aac967cba31625.jpg

Cut the back of the body off with the hot-wire, where the radius started, added 18MM cardboard.  Also refining the rear of the roof partition, first thing will be a stout brace, then filling in the roof contours while keeping that character line needs evaluation.  The trunk covered the back, so need to consider keeping the curve up at the center, which follows the roof, or make it straight across.  Whatever, will need to add the character line here too.  Have to think ahead about how a tailgate will come down, and not hit the bumper.  The bumper ends will need to be extended.  Thinking about sweeping the tail end of the fender back a little.
IMG_2597_Fotor.jpg.604008c27b9522ccf1116a9efdd978ea.jpg
IMG_2596_Fotor.jpg.e47cc3567245a0140ed407a4c4ece812.jpg
IMG_2598_Fotor.jpg.d229773f705a73371dc51cb5cf0f7523.jpg

I'm trying to not rush this stage, I like to sleep on such projects, come back with a fresh view, sometimes I think of a part somewhere that needs to be found and tested.  I looked at how to make gearing and driveshaft to the front axle, and if a torsion bar spring would be better than coil or transverse leaf (the 170V has two transverse leaf springs).  What would AMG do? ?

13 hours ago, Codi said:

Now THAT is an attention grabber Kurt and with the name of your topic, I can find it easily to follow along in the future.  Very cool build.  cheers, tim

LOL That was more for me than anyone. ?  Thank you.

Worked on the shape today, not just the body, but fenders too.  I like the other design fenders MB did, they are a little fatter, but the front curved steeper towards the back and ended with an angle, vs. this design sweeping into the running boards.  So I have morphed the concept, added the edge behind the wheels.  I also completely removed the spare tires, one reason is because I just don't like that look (yes it's classic), and will put in the back as Trophy Trucks do utilizing the wells I hot-wire cut out.  I also modified the back fenders, adding the center side but without the step since it's not a convertible, and swept the tail end back and added to both sides.  Extended the body.  Roof is glued but needs a ton of work.  Thinking of making the back window taller and wider.
IMG_2599_Fotor.jpg.df2072c629023c1a0dcb67cbe7fb0fbd.jpg
IMG_2600_Fotor.jpg.b83ebe835bb6474c3b658998dd9c3895.jpg
IMG_2601_Fotor.jpg.8fdb7815c499d5c941018653a80889dc.jpg

I know that the Germans basically invented the minivan with the VW Microbus, and based on the photo of the 1938 Mercedes-Benz G-4 Radio Car, it looks like they also made the first SUV. ?

I love the alphabet soup name you came up with for it, I always loved those German Sentence-words.

This is totally mind-blowing! What a fun looking project. I can't wait to see more.

David G.

2 hours ago, David G. said:

I know that the Germans basically invented the minivan with the VW Microbus, and based on the photo of the 1938 Mercedes-Benz G-4 Radio Car, it looks like they also made the first SUV. ?

I love the alphabet soup name you came up with for it, I always loved those German Sentence-words.

This is totally mind-blowing! What a fun looking project. I can't wait to see more.

David G.

Scrabble must be a heck of a thing in Germany. 

Also- this is an awesome build. A really cool idea. 

7 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

GREAT STUFF, Bud!!!!!...moving along nicely!!!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, David G. said:

David G.

The book shows an earlier vehicle, just 4 wheels, a beefy looking car, caption says it's the precursor to SUVs.  The challenge back then was inventing CV joints, something we take for granted, and are found on so many AWD vehicles.  The FWD indepenent susension will be fun.

33 minutes ago, LDO said:

Scrabble must be a heck of a thing in Germany. 

Also- this is an awesome build. A really cool idea. 

Their game has 10 times as many pieces. ?  Thank you.

Kurt, I really am enjoying the pics you're sharing.  Seeing your mods done in different materials/colors makes them stand out and shows EXACTLY what  you've done.  You've got a great eye and imagination.   It's sweet looking already.   cheers, tim