Model Cars Magazine Forum

What convertible top or cover will fit an AMT '57 Ford 1/25th scale?

I'm building a replica of the '57 Ford Fairlane Convertible I had in the early '60s.  As there are no suitable '57 Ford convertible kits, I'm using two different AMT hardtop kits.  I want to cut off the top, and replace it with a convertible top, or a suitable cover for a "folded down top".  So my questions are, what other model has a convertible top that would work, or a folded down top cover that would fit?

Thank you,

Bill Anderson

Spring, Tx.

There are not a lot of kits available today with convertible up tops.

If you could find something close, you would likely have to modify it.

Unfortunately, Modelhaus is now gone, but at one time they offered an up top for the '58 Ford, which would have been your best bet.

Steve

5846370E-DA6E-478D-86B0-C0C162953474.jpeg.3429a5bd4a875dfe51f26c92d82c44f8.jpeg

Another way to do a convertible top.. how many do you actually see with a boot cover snapped in place outside of a car show?  Hint- the boot cover for my 2006 PT Cruiser is still wrapped in plastic.

I did this 59 Chevy a while back and created the folded top. Not hard to do!

Chris, I private messaged you about your 58 Ford boot...........

Tom, I had a 54 Pontiac (Red Roach) and the 57 Ford convertibles when I was in Chicago.  Most of the time the top was down I had the boots in place, for IMO it looked so much better and "complete".  But of course it was a pain in the backside, both to put on and take off............

I always had the cover on when the top was down on my convertible. There was also a proper way to fold the top as it's being lowered that will help preserve the top material as well as the top going deeper into the well where it was stored making the boot installation much easier.  Another tip from the past on convertibles. With the top up on extremely hot days you will be much cooler and leave the rear plastic window down in the well. With the boot snapped into place like a package shelf the holder for the folded top in the truck is or was water proof and that could be filled with ice to keep your beverages cool, what ever they may have been. I learned this from a fellow convertible owner. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bill, Modelhause used to make an uptop and also a boot for a 1958 Ford. I used their uptop when building my '57. Also was modeled after my real one that I owned in 1965, black w/white top, red interior, 312 T-Bird engine . I have a boot from Modelhause that I'll send to you if you want it.  Send me a private message.

I've owned several convertibles in the past and I gotta tell you.............replacing the top on one is NO JOKE! I had to replace the one on my '65 Dart Convertible years ago when it got broken into and the rearmost part of the top was shredded. That was an all day job getting the old one off and then getting the new one to fit tightly once it was on the frame.

A job I swore I'd NEVER attempt again! I'd sooner pay the money and have someone else do it! ;)

As far as uptops for the '57 Ford, the '61 is close in shape if all else fails but those aren't easy to come by either. I was fortunate to grab one of those while Don and Carol were still in business as I have a '61 Sunliner that's in need of a resto.

I'm wondering if the cover from some of the more current convertible kits could be altered to fit. I'm thinking of the Revell '57 Chevrolet Bel Air or the '59 Chevrolet Impala from a few years ago. Just about anything will need a little work to look correct, but would offer a realistic base to work from. 

22 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I've owned several convertibles in the past and I gotta tell you.............replacing the top on one is NO JOKE! I had to replace the one on my '65 Dart Convertible years ago when it got broken into and the rearmost part of the top was shredded. That was an all day job getting the old one off and then getting the new one to fit tightly once it was on the frame.

A job I swore I'd NEVER attempt again! I'd sooner pay the money and have someone else do it! ;)

As far as uptops for the '57 Ford, the '61 is close in shape if all else fails but those aren't easy to come by either. I was fortunate to grab one of those while Don and Carol were still in business as I have a '61 Sunliner that's in need of a resto.

I have an original uptop for my 61 Sunliner, I will pull it out and see how it fits on the 58 convertible

Actually,,,I have several different cars with the up top. I'll see if any of them fit decent

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Lindberg '61 ragtop Impala has a nice up top that might come close, but I'm thinking it might be wider than the Ford.(?) AMT '66 Olds 442 convertible might be another choice.

I don't believe that the Lindberg '61 has an up top.

At least mine doesn't.

Later issue maybe?

3 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don't believe that the Lindberg '61 has an up top.

By George, you're right. I was recalling an article from years past wherein the author built a nice convertible with top up, but now I remember that he detailed how he modified a Revell '59 up-top to fit.

37 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

By George, you're right. I was recalling an article from years past wherein the author built a nice convertible with top up, but now I remember that he detailed how he modified a Revell '59 up-top to fit.

I was hoping that I was wrong.

I'm always on the hunt for up tops. ;)

Steve

30 minutes ago, Deathgoblin said:

What about the '53 Ford convertible?

Never thought of that one, but it maybe closer than anything else out there. Might have to lower the profile just a bit but still closer than anything else.