Model Cars Magazine Forum

Windshield Trim

Len:  Here is the way I added some trim to a windshield, or in my case trim around a back window017.jpg.6394625bf7139a8610a0921a039c79d9.jpg.  On my example the trim is a bit strong so I would recommend reducing it some but the idea remains.  If your windshield is curved this might not work but if it is flat here we go. First find the centerline both vertically and horizontally on the window opening.  Mark it as I did above on the body.   Next take a piece of sheet stock of 0.020" thickness and place it inside the cab so that you can trace around the opening on the sheet.  Get the sheet as close to the inside surface as you can.  Then using the lines on the cab find the center vertically and horizontally on the sheet.  Now trace around the outline of the window opening the width of what you want the trim to be.  Here is where I would have made mine a bit thinner.  Carefully trim the sheet to the outside lines being sure that the alignment marks vertically and horizontally are in place.

018.JPG.b5cbc4a472404c7ed3377b1269bc8706.JPG

Once it is cut out, bevel the outside edges of the trim blank to give it some roundness and then glue it in position using the marks on the cab and the sheet stock for alignment.  Be sure you are spot on with this because it will become critical in the next step which is to cut out the inside of the trim blank to the inner lines you drew earlier.  Don't go beyond the lines!!

021.JPG.dda3512c7f710728fafbf55b8f56ea80.JPG

When the cutting is done you should end up with a thin edge that you can see from the inside of the cab.  It is against this edge that you can lay the clear stock for the glass.

024.JPG.45e1c1b410cd456b5fce2e0a34b3d072.JPG

Here' s the glass in position with the trim around it.  As I said it could be thinner all around.  I made up for that though, when I painted the cab.  Instead of painting the entire trim piece black to simulate the rubber gasket I just did the inner part and a thin portion at the edge using a felt marker.  That helped keep the black trim to a minimum.

Hope this helps.  Even if the windshield is curved you might be able to apply some of this to your project.

Edited by Chariots of Fire

I think that is doable.  You have a template of the windshield area so it means you can get the correct outside shape.    If you can apply the technique I suggested you should be able to get some results.  What will you do first, glue in the blank that is in the windshield area and then use the template?  

On 5/18/2020 at 10:28 PM, Len Woodruff said:

Thanks for the post Charles. That does allow the glass to fit flush.

I was thinking that I need to use some strips to do the windshield. Here is a pick of the windshield area.

Len

IMG_4926.JPG

Interesting looking project.