Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the "best" 1962 Pontiac 1/25 kit?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 1962 Pontiac 1/25 kit, likely a 421 cu inch Catalina or another model.  Looks like there are 5 or so different ones (AMT/Ertl) readily available, and I'm seeing similarities in them, and I'm wondering if some are just remakes of early production runs.  Anyway, which of those out there offer the most detail, best fit, etc.?

Thank you,

Bill Anderson 

The Catalina’s are all from the same tooling, so it’s down to what you want to build. One version was produced as a custom, so don’t buy it if you want to build factory stock. The newer the issue, the more bonus features (such as pad-printed tires) you will get.

The custom version is custom only.

The other versions are all basically same kit. 

Ps. I think AMT made a Bonneville or maybe a Gran Prix kit back in 1962  if you wish to go that route 

Edited by gtx6970

2 hours ago, Bill Anderson said:

I'm looking to get a 1962 Pontiac 1/25 kit, likely a 421 cu inch Catalina or another model.  Looks like there are 5 or so different ones (AMT/Ertl) readily available, and I'm seeing similarities in them, and I'm wondering if some are just remakes of early production runs.  Anyway, which of those out there offer the most detail, best fit, etc.?

I would recommend that you take some time to look through (or search, using the pinned post in the Q&A section) the Car Kits" News & Reviews section. There's a ton of info specific to thousands of kits, which kits contain, what and so on. Here's one discussing AMT's '62 Pontiac Catalina:

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

The custom version is custom only.

The other versions are all basically same kit. 

Ps. I think AMT made a Bonneville or maybe a Gran Prix kit back in 1962  if you wish to go that route 

Bonneville hardtops and convertibles were produced in 1962.

No Grand Prix.

Steve

Thanks all!   I just ordered the "polyglass" version and look forward to building the car I "lusted" for back in the early '60s.........  

Ha, getting married at age 20 and having 4 kids changed all those "must haves"...........

Thanks all for the info, it really is appreciated!

Bill

• 6 months later...