Model Cars Magazine Forum
jchrisf

Anyone tried this nail polish? Might be best chrome

There are some real pretty colors in that line-up.  But I have a drawer full now, waiting for me to use before they dry up.

My wife is a cosmetologist. So, I can get a bottle on the cheap to try out. It looks a lot like another product that people use on full scale stuff.

Looking at the way it blushes and then glosses and needs a special base coat I'm thinking it's a lot like Alclad.

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

My wife is a cosmetologist. So, I can get a bottle on the cheap to try out. It looks a lot like another product that people use on full scale stuff.

Please let us know how it turns out... I'd think if it could survive a couple of weeks on a woman's nails it would be able to survive forever on a model car and not be as fragile as the Molotow or Alclad.

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I'd think if it could survive a couple of weeks on a woman's nails....

A couple weeks? Has any woman ever left the same color on her nails for a couple WEEKS? :blink:

7 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I'd think if it could survive [...] on a woman's nails it would be able to survive forever on a model car and not be as fragile as the Molotow or Alclad.

That was my first thought : It's got to be durable for that application . Not fragile , like a Fabergé  egg or a newborn bird . 

( I've never embraced the whole Alclad thing , as it seems do freakin' delicate . I've used Krylon / Duplicolor aerosol chrome for big parts for over 10 years . At least one can handle the parts with no problems after the finish has cured completely ! ) 

3 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

What do you guys use to thin nail polish for air brushing????....

It is a lacquer, so lacquer thinner.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:05 PM, stinkybritches said:

Seems like it's not exactly as good as it looks ....

Those kind of product reviews are a good indicator that the stuff is too good to be true. Too bad.

My 23 year old daughter just told me today about a brush on chrome nail polish that looks really good. She told me it has to be cured quickly after brushing with a UV light to produce a good clear chrome look. She wants to get some to touch up the faded vacu-chrome on the dash of her 69 Mustang. I can't wait to see how it looks.

Carmak

9 hours ago, Carmak said:

My 23 year old daughter just told me today about a brush on chrome nail polish that looks really good. She told me it has to be cured quickly after brushing with a UV light to produce a good clear chrome look. She wants to get some to touch up the faded vacu-chrome on the dash of her 69 Mustang. I can't wait to see how it looks.

Carmak

Cool.. hope it works for our cars too!

Some very interesting colors there.......

Doesn't seem like it. Spend the extra mazuma and get Alsa Corp's Easy Chrome.