Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 Impala

cruiser66

looks like a cluster you know what, but just getting started, I will organize and clean up during the build. I am going to use wheels from a gt500 mustang, and Im going to mix custom with standard parts that came in the kit, because I dont like either one all the way. wish me luck, at 71 years old, I will be challenged to stay steady and not make a mess of things. It is an amt kit won in a Chinese auction at a club xmas party. the club is Table Top Cruisers of central Fl.

DSC_3011.JPG

First, I want to welcome on board sir!

Even with a busy workbench you can build model (mine is also cluttered) and it seem that you have most of the necessary tooling.  The age is not a problem either as long you find the pleasure and satisfaction in the process!  The '58 Chevy Impala is a very cool car so I'll be thrilled to come back to check your progress!

I ruined an AMT '58 Impala some years ago trying to remove a botched paint job. I kept it, and I've been raiding the kit for some parts. I'm thinking of making a Mad Max (the original movie!) inspired custom. I also bought another kit like yours, and plan to start on it soon.

It looks like yo are planning a two-tone paint job. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

I decided to paint the whole car one color for now, because when I put the cream color on,I painted the hood and doors seperatly from the body. the doors came out a completely different shade from the hood and body. almost as if the primer was a different color, but it wasn't. next I will paint the lower half with the cream color, then sand,clear coat and polish and hope for the best. maybe because I actually hate this car it is going to make me suffer. after the 55,56, and the great 57 chevy's the 58 looks like your grandmothers Sunday go to meeting cant get out of it's own way sedan. ugh. lol.

DSC_3031.JPG

DSC_3030.JPG

4 hours ago, cruiser66 said:

maybe because I actually hate this car it is going to make me suffer. after the 55,56, and the great 57 chevy's the 58 looks like your grandmothers Sunday go to meeting cant get out of it's own way sedan. ugh. lol.

Dang! The 58 is my Favorite! ? I’ll be watching!

1 hour ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Dang! The 58 is my Favorite! ? I’ll be watching!

LOL.. I didnt think I would offend anyone with that statement.  different strokes I guess. tonite I decided to strip the paint and start over with a better paint more suited to styrene. I might have gotten a bad batch of rattle can paint at wally world, cause I never had spray paint look that bad before. Ill be back shortly. 

8 hours ago, cruiser66 said:

LOL.. I didnt think I would offend anyone with that statement.  different strokes I guess. tonite I decided to strip the paint and start over with a better paint more suited to styrene. I might have gotten a bad batch of rattle can paint at wally world, cause I never had spray paint look that bad before. Ill be back shortly. 

Yes, unfortunately stuff like that happens.  Welcome to the board.  This one might be a candidate fo the "purple pond" for a stripping and staring over on the body paint.   I have two in the bath now trying to get them back to bare plastic.  And I've been doing this for like 45 years.   Sometimes it just happens.  HPI GUY has a good video on you tube about spray painting with cheap paints.  

here it is after only 3 hours in super power from ace hrdwr and a light wet sanding. I am starting over with some thing different.  Randy C, I watch HPI Guys workshop and viewed the video on how to use cheap spray cans, after I botched this one, but found no clue as to what went wrong here. I have done this more than a few times without this kind of ugly result. I will say, I never got as good as a result as hpi gets either. anyway, here goes...... 

DSC_3032.JPG

On 5/22/2020 at 12:43 AM, cruiser66 said:

No worries! I’m not offended.??

We all have our own tastes. I admire you building something you don’t particularly care for!

I used my gray primer this time and result was way better than the white. I guess its possible the white primer is the problem because after that was when the trouble started. I am also going to switch final colors just in case.

DSC_3033.JPG

DSC_3034.JPG

Im not ready to pull the tape to show the cream white color underneath, but I am ready to say Ive been doing this all wrong for awhile now. The new color I chose is a bottle Ive had for a long time now and it was going to go on a 68 mustang. getting it was a chore. It is called Bullitt green from gravity colors usa. I still have 1/2 bottle left and one full bottle from Matte for his poor handling of my order. However what I meant about doing it all wrong, is using rustoleum or duplicolor rattle cans. air brushing is definately the way to go. Im not sure of other brands, but this gravity stuff flowed out and on the car so smoothly and effortlessly I couldnt believe it. Also, it's the first time I used my Paasche H air brush. I had been using an Iwatta double action, and that was pretty much harder to get used to than the one touch Paasche. as soon as it dries, I will pull the tape and apply a glossy clear coat which will put me in to final assy. I appreciate all you fellow modelers for your comments and encourgement.

DSC_3046.JPG

DSC_3047.JPG

DSC_3048.JPG

DSC_3049.JPG

The photos you've all been waiting for !!! lol. just kidding. however, this is the first paint job I've done that is my personal best. even though I had to strip and repaint the hood 4 times before it finally became satisfactory, overall I am very pleased with the result. I used a product called Speedo Kote 2k clear. next up is bmf and then final assy. Again, I thank you all for your comments and encouragement...

DSC_3083.JPG

DSC_3081.JPG

DSC_3082.JPG

DSC_3074.JPG

DSC_3084.JPG

DSC_3075.JPG