Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 Impala

cruiser66

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

Lotsa chrome! I have one on the bench now, but BMF is not happening on it for a while.

I didnt like the car all that much when I started it, but it's starting to look pretty snappy after all the work. Good luck with yours, and be sure to take your time for best results. ?

1 hour ago, cruiser66 said:

I didnt like the car all that much when I started it, but it's starting to look pretty snappy after all the work. Good luck with yours, and be sure to take your time for best results. ?

Funny you should mention taking my time. I started my build back in 2009, I think! LoL

Trying to do a full custom keeps bogging me down! Hahaha

On 5/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, cruiser66 said:

maybe because I actually hate this car it is going to make me suffer. after the 55,56, and the great 57 chevy's the 58 looks like your grandmothers Sunday go to meeting cant get out of it's own way sedan. ugh. lol.

I never thought I'd ever hear anyone else say such a thing! Maybe we were separated at birth! :blink:

I'm feeling the urge to build something acceptably attractive out of a '58 Impala. I have a glue bomb, a box full of spare parts, and a few ideas I don't think I've ever seen anyone else do before....:unsure:

8 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I never thought I'd ever hear anyone else say such a thing! Maybe we were separated at birth! :blink:

I'm feeling the urge to build something acceptably attractive out of a '58 Impala. I have a glue bomb, a box full of spare parts, and a few ideas I don't think I've ever seen anyone else do before....:unsure:

thats funny. thanks for making me laugh this morning....:D

2 minutes ago, cruiser66 said:

thats funny. thanks for making me laugh this morning....:D

Thenkyew, thenkyew, you're very kind, I'll be here all week, and don't forget to tip your waitress. :lol:

Seriously, though, I just google-imaged '58 Chevy to see if I could find one anything like my idea. Nope. I was especially looking for any without the chrome strip running down the side. Out of hundreds of google pictures, I only saw TWO, and one of those was in red primer and I couldn't tell if they were planning to put the strip back on eventually. 

I want to knock all the chrome and tacky fru-fru off a '58 Impala and see what it REALLY looks like under there, just for a change. Thinking of calling it "Scoopy Don't." (Let's see who gets that.)

Meanwhile, yours is looking quite nice. For a '58 Impala, I mean. B):lol:

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I want to knock all the chrome and tacky fru-fru off a '58 Impala and see what it REALLY looks like under there, just for a change. Thinking of calling it "Scoopy Don't." (Let's see who gets that.

Hey Snake,  I built this using about 4 pictures from a 1990’s calendar. Unfortunately I haven’t seen it in years. This was painted in 1999.

I stated earlier in this post that the 1958 Impala is my favorite. A don’t like many of them customized. But I was intrigued by this one!?

C493DB2E-D980-44A3-9D75-A027B71F9DE0.jpeg

22387081-7895-4ADC-AC5A-7C92AF729276.jpeg

AD453BE1-3493-46C3-8DC7-BE32652CFEFE.jpeg

0909ABB5-EF4D-4701-82F2-D84B972B9D52.jpeg

DA28EC85-33F7-4B09-9C69-AA884C944AC8.jpeg

67BF7637-A30C-4B5E-9DAF-56FD56466115.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Hey Snake,  I built this using about 4 pictures from a 1990’s calendar. Unfortunately I haven’t seen it in years. This was painted in 1999.

I stated earlier in this post that the 1958 Impala is my favorite. A don’t like many of them customized. But I was intrigued by this one!?

C493DB2E-D980-44A3-9D75-A027B71F9DE0.jpeg

That's definitely moving in the direction I want to go, but mine will have much, MUCH more "bad assitude." B)

Also can't get the idea out of my mind of trying to do it in bare metal. Not shiny or polished--"brushed" looking steel. If I can figger out how to do it. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

this one just didnt finish up as well as it started out. I might go back and smooth things out someday, but for right now Im done with it. Im also done with AMT kits. at least till I get more experience dealing with their way of doing things. stuff just doesnt fit right, and I find out about it too late in the game. talk about frustrating!! Im too old for this sh!t...

DSC_3174.JPG

DSC_3179.JPG

DSC_3176.JPG

3 hours ago, cruiser66 said:

this one just didnt finish up as well as it started out. I might go back and smooth things out someday, but for right now Im done with it. Im also done with AMT kits. at least till I get more experience dealing with their way of doing things. stuff just doesnt fit right, and I find out about it too late in the game. talk about frustrating!! Im too old for this sh!t...

Paint combination is fabulous.   Looks nice.  I wouldn't worry too much about this one.   I have one and keep putting it off myself because I know how tedious these 50 y/o kits can be to assemble.  I have consdiered buying the diecast that Geno has posted.  I have also considered buying the REVELL kit, which was based on a diecast I believe.  THe AMT is not an easy kit to build.  There were several from this period that fall into that category.  56 and 57 Ford for sure.  Others possibly too.  

I like it though.  I think you're being too hard on yourself.

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Paint combination is fabulous.   Looks nice.  I wouldn't worry too much about this one.   I have one and keep putting it off myself because I know how tedious these 50 y/o kits can be to assemble.  I have consdiered buying the diecast that Geno has posted.  I have also considered buying the REVELL kit, which was based on a diecast I believe.  THe AMT is not an easy kit to build.  There were several from this period that fall into that category.  56 and 57 Ford for sure.  Others possibly too.  

Thanks for the kind words. maybe you're right. all I know is when I watch the scale modeler on you tube paint and assemble a kit, looks effortless ,and comes out like a factory job, mine come up far short and I am highly disappointed. I am real close to moving on to a new hobby. 

15 hours ago, randyc said:

Yep Randy, getting it, disassembling it and super detailing it was the way to go. I detailed the interior, trunk, wheels and polished the paint as it was kinda dull as received, bare metal foiled the trim and added the antennas. It worked out pretty good lol. Plus I actually got it for less than kit price. ?

15 hours ago, cruiser66 said:

Thanks for the kind words. maybe you're right. all I know is when I watch the scale modeler on you tube paint and assemble a kit, looks effortless ,and comes out like a factory job, mine come up far short and I am highly disappointed. I am real close to moving on to a new hobby. 

I hope you'll hang in there and try again.   I've been doing this for around 45 years so it's really more than a hobby for me and many others here.   Part of our lives.  I'm sure if you ask for kit recommendations on here based on your likes, the bunch of us can find you something that builds easier.   Short of a Revell 50s Chevy kit, most anything builds easier.   And that's only certain REvell 50's kits.   Even the Revell 58 Impala goes together easier, if you want a 58 Impala again.  

Your basic workmanship, color ideas, are all spot on.  Love the paint on this one and I know it wasn't easy at times.   BUt it came out pretty nice.

Could someone please give more info on why they think this kit doesn't go together well. I've built several and have had no problems with it's assembly. Cruiser66, if this is one of your first builds, you did good, they will get better the more you do. Just don't give up...

4 hours ago, randyc said:

I hope you'll hang in there and try again.   I've been doing this for around 45 years so it's really more than a hobby for me and many others here.   Part of our lives.  I'm sure if you ask for kit recommendations on here based on your likes, the bunch of us can find you something that builds easier.   Short of a Revell 50s Chevy kit, most anything builds easier.   And that's only certain REvell 50's kits.   Even the Revell 58 Impala goes together easier, if you want a 58 Impala again.  

Your basic workmanship, color ideas, are all spot on.  Love the paint on this one and I know it wasn't easy at times.   BUt it came out pretty nice.

You're very kind. I appreciate your encouragement. 

4 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

Could someone please give more info on why they think this kit doesn't go together well. I've built several and have had no problems with it's assembly. Cruiser66, if this is one of your first builds, you did good, they will get better the more you do. Just don't give up...

This is about my 10th build in the past 2 years. 7 of them I was fairly happy with. This one ,well I cant write down all the problems I ran into, but It seemed to fight me all the way. after my initial knee jerk reaction on how bad it is, I realize I have too many kits in the que waiting to be built. I really enjoy doing this, plus I now have all the tools and supplies to work with. thanks for your positive comments. This forum and the builders that post here are amazing and Im glad to be here. kudos to one and all. (Im not this corny in person. lol)

• 1 year later...