Model Cars Magazine Forum

I started this Dodge project a few weeks ago. Thought I'd post a few pics. If a part isn't from scratch, I'm using bits of the Dodge pickup (obviously), the L700, and the C cab stakebed. The frame is drying right now, so I had a few minutes to post. I LOVE those MAD (Morgan Automotive Detail) distributors...such a time-saver!

DSCN0747.JPG

DSCN0748.JPG

DSCN0749.JPG

DSCN0750.JPG

DSCN0751.JPG

Edited by Repstock

2 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Very cool project Tom!  I do love these old Dodge and this resin kit looks very well detailed.  The engine is very well done and I can't wait to see your next update!

There's no resin in this kit so far. I started with a Dodge pickup cab and made the rest. I thought the subject too odd to offer to a caster. Thank you and everyone else for your feedback.

Edited by Repstock

2 hours ago, Repstock said:

There's no resin in this kit so far. I started with a Dodge pickup cab and made the rest. I thought the subject too odd to offer to a caster. Thank you and everyone else for your feedback.

Ha! Odder the better. I think that would sell as resin.

21 hours ago, Repstock said:

Thank you for clarifying that this is not a resin kit.  I did basically the same thing with my '64 D100 Dodge pickup and it comforts me to know that I'm not the only one who's obsessed enough to recreate a nonexistent truck cab with styrene.  That L700 Dodge cabin looks spot-on, I love it and thanks for sharing!!!

22 hours ago, Repstock said:

That is beautiful work, as you always do! I could see this as a drag car hauler, with a Pro Stock 'Cuda in the back!   

Great work! These trucks bring back memories,  too bad Dodge only built them for a few years, should have been longer.   The 361 L 700 engine is perfect. There was also an optional 413 for the D 800. Hope more of these medium duties  become available in the future for us less skilled builders! 

If anyone likes to waste time making their trucks roll, as I do, here is how I do it. It's really strong and will last longer than you (or I) will. I'm not promoting building roller kits, but probability suggests there should be a few out there so afflicted. This is for you. There's virtually no loss of detail. The reason the disk is a little larger than the tube section is this: I like to run a small bead of superglue there to help the liquid cement that was used to attach the disk. My wife says I build as if my models had to survive a nuclear war.  I notice after posting the pic the sample axle looks like it has horrible alignment. I assure you that is the camera lens, and not reality.DSCN0753.JPG

Edited by Repstock

6 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

That's pretty cool, Tom!  Where do the nice bearings come from?  I do similar things with brass tubing.

I got mine as discontinued stock in 1990. They are RMB Miniature bearings, Part #908660 marked 1989. I understand these are expensive, you can get similar bearings from other sources much cheaper. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and got 100 bearings of several sizes for free. At the time, I had no use for them, but I figured I'd find one some day. If you remember the H-series truck I built eons ago- it has a set and it still functions perfectly. All my truck builds have them, in fact.

As an aside, it IS a pain to get the wire axle bent correctly and blended with the plastic parts, but it's VERY strong once you do. Sand the axle first to get the oil off and rough it up for best bond. We met at a show once, I'm thinking it was the NNL East(?) some time ago (the same year Juha Airio was there)...I thought your builds were very impressive.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:08 PM, Repstock said:

If a part isn't from scratch, I'm using bits of the Dodge pickup (obviously), the L700, and the C cab stakebed.

Tom, did you start with the recent MPC release of the '78 Dodge D100 pickup to make your 600 cab?  I recall seeing those truck when I was a youngster (my school bus had this cabin).  This body style is for the '74 and '75 production years, is it?  Many thanks for this very cool project sir!

5 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Tom, did you start with the recent MPC release of the '78 Dodge D100 pickup to make your 600 cab?  I recall seeing those truck when I was a youngster (my school bus had this cabin).  This body style is for the '74 and '75 production years, is it?  Many thanks for this very cool project sir!

Yes, I did use the new release Dodge cab. It already had the trim removed. Thank you for the kind words!

On 5/20/2020 at 2:11 PM, Repstock said:

I thought the subject too odd to offer to a caster. 

This truck is very similar to the period Ford F 700 missing link offered, but F 700 sold out a long time ago and is no longer available. Were always looking for subjects AMT ignored!

11 hours ago, leafsprings said:

This truck is very similar to the period Ford F 700 missing link offered, but F 700 sold out a long time ago and is no longer available. Were always looking for subjects AMT ignored!

I mastered that F-700. The damaged parts have been repaired. Contact Kevin at Missing Link (kawifreek@msn.com). The F-700 should be available now. By the way, I fixed a few things on it. The door handles should not have been the flip type like on the pickup, but older pull types. The dash is now better, too. The grille mold was damaged, so I sent him my original grille master. If I had it to do over, I would have put the Moebius engine compartment on it, too. Give him a shout.

I considered doing a medium duty Ford based on the Moebius cab, but it was deemed not different enough from this one.

Edited by Repstock