Model Cars Magazine Forum

I finally finished my Aoshima 1/24 Brian James Trailer. 

It’s painted in Tamiya Acrylic Metallic Grey (XF-56). I decided against the standard color of Aluminum and the kit decals which were red. So, I taped it up and sprayed some black in place of them. The Decals on the sides are various Hobby Design decals, and the tool box is a Highlight Model Studios photoetch tool box. I wish I could get some pics of the whole rig and trailer together but my photo booth is a bit small lol. 

Enjoy, now on to the next build!!

A0CDD428-E4DA-4656-86F9-00B03931086F.jpeg

8C45E484-1D28-4002-9221-F3295DE906E3.jpeg

DEE07FC2-511B-47B6-8BB4-763DDBD42B9E.jpeg

5ED596BE-5C76-4498-A754-A6B5AC463BC7.jpeg

ECA5090F-073B-41EA-A4BA-F772D66DE653.jpeg

CBA08261-F8F0-4682-A207-6FE6C36BB484.jpeg

B370302B-011C-4A75-94AC-E38E7273F419.jpeg

7A7D6036-DE5F-4BF4-BD40-01C5D884F1F2.jpeg

5AFDA5C5-80B6-460A-8FD5-D6C9F46B85FB.jpeg

A44C1B2F-3241-4E95-8EF1-7E59B202E104.jpeg

C5FBFEFB-1CAA-4786-A15D-157A46828165.jpeg

4A36D930-464B-42EA-BDB9-9E60C248F21D.jpeg

6532ED8C-838C-41F9-B308-1E04A7B2CB2B.jpeg

A8CF33AD-70BD-4C65-A8F5-03554C6BCEBB.jpeg

B767D45C-0142-4808-BECD-F79D52464599.jpeg

7CCB5A80-4089-4102-A762-C7DC4795F4A5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

Awesome job!! I really like the metallic grey.

next time you post a car under glass, post a pic on the trailer ?

Thanks Chris!

For sure. I need to take some new pics of some old builds now that I have a real light booth and throw them on there, lol.

Edited by lghtngyello03

19 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Looks epic! Would love to have that setup! I would probably try to put the gGtr more forward, it looks like wheight is on the back some how. 

Thanks man! I'd love to have it too, lol.  Yea the wheel chock is removable, so next time i shoot some pics I will move it a little further forward.  Kind of funny though, I pulled my Evo 8 with my 2017 Sierra All Terrain 4x4 almost in the same position and it towed straight as an arrow with no swaying. 

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Nice job!

I've wanted this trailer for a while. You've convinced me I need to just go order it now.

Thanks Dan! Heck yea, build it up and post some pics man!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, kilrathy10 said:

This is an EXCELLENT build.... Can't believe I missed this one... Very nice work... Saw the Raptor thread and, immediately, went to this one... Beautiful job on the trailer, the Skyline, and the truck... Amazing what can be done with those snappers... Awesome!!!

Thanks JT! I hate that I couldn't post this finished build in the Automotive section.  I feel it would get a lot more traffic and views. You are right, some of these snap kits don't need to be overlooked, they build up great if you apply everything you do on a non snap kit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, Paul Payne said:

That is a fabulous build of a great looking trailer- I assume it is 1/25th scale?

Thank you Paul!

Unfortunately it is a 1:24 Scale.  So the Revell 1/25 stuff may look a little large for it.  Since most of my builds are 1/24 Tamiya stuff, it works out.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:01 AM, lghtngyello03 said:

Thanks Carl! Definitely wish this could classify to go in with the cars underglass so it would get some attention 

And what's wrong with this section of the forum? You are getting plenty of attention here.  If you build something nice and post photos, people will come and comment, regardless of where it is.  ;)

BTW, you did a great job on that trailer - if you photographed it in some natural setting outdoors it could be easily mistaken for a 1:1 trailer.  The entire ensemble looks really good too.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:44 AM, peteski said:

And what's wrong with this section of the forum? You are getting plenty of attention here.  If you build something nice and post photos, people will come and comment, regardless of where it is.  ;)

BTW, you did a great job on that trailer - if you photographed it in some natural setting outdoors it could be easily mistaken for a 1:1 trailer.  The entire ensemble looks really good too.

Lol, thanks Peter.  The other section seems to get a littler higher traffic than here. But you are right, if it is built nice and clean, people will respond to it for sure. 

Thanks again...I cant seem to get my photography right for some outdoor stuff.  I need to try again, I've only done it one time before.

Outdoor photography is quite easy, since the sunlight provides a very realistic lighting, and you have a choice of realistic backgrounds.  For example, like this photo.

Gunze59skylinerFront.jpg

I took this photo about 35 years ago (long before digital cameras)with my 35mm Nikon SLR camera, but the same process applies to any camera.

Cars are 1:32 scale. The background building is the company I worked for at the time.  I went there over the weekend, so the parking lot was empty.
1:1 asphalt's texture is way too coarse (out of scale) for the models, so I scored a large sheet or rubber roofing material (scrap from when I had my roof redone).  That is what you see representing pavement.
The models are positioned in a way to get best illumination.  As you can see by the shadow,, the sun was high up in the sky, but I made sure that the front and right side were not shaded.
Camera was sitting on the ground, and close to the car's nose to get  them photographed at an angle which makes them look like real cars.
I used a fairly wide angle lens (28mm).  Wide angle lenses exaggerate perspective, again making small model look like real car.
I had the lens set for smallest possible aperture (f32) to get the largest depth of field (area of acceptable focus).

Of course since this was a film camera, I was shooting the photos "bind", and didn't really know how good they would be until I had them developed.  With digital cameras you get instant photo quality verification.

Most digital cameras have a wide angle lens (when zoomed out), so you should be able to get a nice perspective. the aperture is harder to control, but set it for the smallest one if you can. Of course there is now a focus-stacking software available where you take a series of photos, each focused progressively further, and the software will merge them so all the object in the photo are sharp. That greatly adds to the realism.

Taking photos from a low angle is also very important for the realism. It fools the viewers brain into thinking the model is real.  It is all just an illusion.  Again, most cameras (including smart-phones) can be set right on the ground with the lens closest to the ground.

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Outdoor photography is quite easy, since the sunlight provides a very realistic lighting, and you have a choice of realistic backgrounds.  For example, like this photo.

Gunze59skylinerFront.jpg

I took this photo about 35 years ago (long before digital cameras)with my 35mm Nikon SLR camera, but the same process applies to any camera.

Cars are 1:32 scale. The background building is the company I worked for at the time.  I went there over the weekend, so the parking lot was empty.
1:1 asphalt's texture is way too coarse (out of scale) for the models, so I scored a large sheet or rubber roofing material (scrap from when I had my roof redone).  That is what you see representing pavement.
The models are positioned in a way to get best illumination.  As you can see by the shadow,, the sun was high up in the sky, but I made sure that the front and right side were not shaded.
Camera was sitting on the ground, and close to the car's nose to get  them photographed at an angle which makes them look like real cars.
I used a fairly wide angle lens (28mm).  Wide angle lenses exaggerate perspective, again making small model look like real car.
I had the lens set for smallest possible aperture (f32) to get the largest depth of field (area of acceptable focus).

Of course since this was a film camera, I was shooting the photos "bind", and didn't really know how good they would be until I had them developed.  With digital cameras you get instant photo quality verification.

Most digital cameras have a wide angle lens (when zoomed out), so you should be able to get a nice perspective. the aperture is harder to control, but set it for the smallest one if you can. Of course there is now a focus-stacking software available where you take a series of photos, each focused progressively further, and the software will merge them so all the object in the photo are sharp. That greatly adds to the realism.

Taking photos from a low angle is also very important for the realism. It fools the viewers brain into thinking the model is real.  It is all just an illusion.  Again, most cameras (including smart-phones) can be set right on the ground with the lens closest to the ground.

Thanks! Looks great man!  I never have had anything to sit the models on.  As you said the asphalt was always out of scale.

5 hours ago, lghtngyello03 said:

Thanks! Looks great man!  I never have had anything to sit the models on.  As you said the asphalt was always out of scale.

Thanks!  Yes, those photos came out pretty good. Actually these are just scans of the 4x6 paper prints, so  the colors are a bit washed out.

Yes, the rubber mat does come in handy, and can be rolled up for easy transport.  A sheet of plywood painted flat dark gray (regular latex house paint) should work too (just a bit awkward to move around).  But if you were to stage the model somewhere at your house, that should  work ok.  I've seen some people place their "asphalt base" on the hood or roof of their car to get just the right perspective of the background scenery.  That also makes it easier to get a low-angle view of the model (since you do't' have to lay on the ground to take the photos like I did.

Edited by peteski