Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any hope of back-editing on the horizon?

Most of my builds are long-time-ago started threads. And most of my old photos are hosted on P-bucket.

As I will be revisiting these old ones as time permits, it would be nice to be able to replace the sometimes unreliable (down as I write this) P-bucket hosted photos with fresh ones.

Not too much point continuing to bother otherwise.

9 hours ago, mk11 said:

you know, guys like Bill   ^_^

Bill, who? ?

I think it's a site-wide thing, and you can't allow individual members to have editing abilities. I'm sure Dave will figure something out, or perhaps nothing will come of it. You can always create a new post, copy and paste the old info into your new topic, add the images back in then ask a mod to delete the old topic. Sometimes that's preferable, depending upon who or what else was posted in the old topic.

I have feeling that there are ways to allow post editing by members. Maybe something like assigning them (if they are member in good standing) a temporary moderator privileged.

I recall recent thread where someone (that "Bill"?) asked to edit some older thread and few days later he indicated that he was successful in editing his  thread.

You can always quote your original post with dead image links, then re-post the new images, or replace the old with the new. Not exactly efficient from a bandwidth perspective, and not ideal for topic continuity, either, but it at least gets the images back up and, well, visual.

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

You can always quote your original post with dead image links, then re-post the new images, or replace the old with the new. Not exactly efficient from a bandwidth perspective...

Yes, that's an option, but I do pay attention to wasting other folk's bandwidth...little things like NOT quoting entire posts, including all 15 photos, as seems to be prevalent here.

MCM has been unusual in allowing us to post pix directly on their servers, and though they seem to have plenty of storage, I don't want to abuse the privilege.

This really should be addressed by the moderators.  After the Photobucket debacles, they opened up the forum for photo uploads, but then killed any hopes of fixing dead photo links on older (but very useful) threads.  If moderators remain silent here, maybe the best option is to contact them via a PM and request temporary editing privileged.   There just has to be a solution to this.  I know the mods are busy, but fixing the broken photo links is important too.  Just  maybe wait until this major forum reshuffle is completed - mods are still working on that.

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Everything will be fine. Really. :D

What I was saying by "addressed by moderators" meant that they should chime in on this thread and tell us what options (if any) are available.  But as I said, I think mods are probably busy still reshuffling the forum's contents.  Hopefully the issue with editing posts will be addressed in the future.

14 hours ago, peteski said:

What I was saying by "addressed by moderators" meant that they should chime in on this thread and tell us what options (if any) are available.  But as I said, I think mods are probably busy still reshuffling the forum's contents.  Hopefully the issue with editing posts will be addressed in the future.

We had to shut off editing due to vandalism threats. It wasn’t something we wanted to do, but unfortunately it was necessary. I’ve been working on ways to mitigate that threat, and have gotten closer to having a viable solution. Unfortunately, we’re still not where I’d like is to be. If I had more time, I’d create a solution And turn it into a commercial service.  

I’m getting ready for some major MCM server work we have to have finished by November, which is why I’ve been quiet lately. We’ll be reshuffling content for a while   

• 2 weeks later...