Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Grumpy's Vega

Roncla

I've just came across this MPC kit  on a Japanese hobby shop website. I'm guessing that its the long awaited Vega that  was originally announced a couple of  years ago in a different livery but never eventuated.

It's saying June release in Japan. I can't find any information about it  it on  American websites yet.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10698514

10698514p.jpg

It was "announced" in 2016(?) but much work was needed, so the release was pushed back, a new 3D printed master body shell, grille/bumper was created...read more here:

And here:

Basically, it's still coming but arriving later than first anticipated.

Grumpy's Toys were such a big thing when I was a kid.   I may do this one right out of the box.  I know there will be inaccuracies and lack of details, but it will be a tribute to my childhood models and HotRod magazines.  

On 5/21/2020 at 11:21 PM, Roncla said:

I've just came across this MPC kit  on a Japanese hobby shop website. I'm guessing that its the long awaited Vega that  was originally announced a couple of  years ago in a different livery but never eventuated.

It's saying June release in Japan. I can't find any information about it  it on  American websites yet.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10698514

10698514p.jpg

Just did a quick ref-check. It looks like with a little research and some parts-bashing, you could build either Toy IX or X from this kit. And if you want one different from everybody else's, IX ran at least once with all-red sides (sorta like Toy I), and X ran at least once without the red trim (all white). 

Toy XI (the '74) introduced the all-tube chassis. An ACCURATE model of that one would be a lot of work, but I've seen guys here who could pull it off. (Not me!) B)

• 3 weeks later...

Two different paint schemes on "X" ? Was that a mid-year change ? 

The red & white version appears to have a Mark IV engine ( the gold anodised rocker arm covers are big like the 396-427-454 )  ---- I didn't know that Grumpy ran a big block anything after 1969 (?)

** It also appears to have aluminium heads --- is that an L-88 in that bad boy ? 

Edited by 1972coronet

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

The red & white version appears to have a Mark IV engine ( the gold anodised rocker arm covers are big like the 396-427-454 )  ---- I didn't know that Grumpy ran a big block anything after 1969 (?)

** It also appears to have aluminium heads --- is that an L-88 in that bad boy ? 

See my May 23 post. The all-white and red-side schemes were both VERY briefly used. 

Grump ran some big "mountain motors" in match racing, but for NHRA-legal Pro Stock, all small blocks AFAIK. 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

The Red sided vega in the pic is a recreation and runs on the nostalgia circuit, hence the engine being a bit newer. 

https://tamrazs.wordpress.com/2017/01/04/the-midwest-nostalgia-pro-stock-association-recreates-pro-stock-past/

The Midwest Nostalgia Pro Stock Association Recreates Pro Stock ...

This is the restored Vega and engine

DSC_46561.jpg

DSC_4684

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

See my May 23 post. The all-white and red-side schemes were both VERY briefly used. 

Grump ran some big "mountain motors" in match racing, but for NHRA-legal Pro Stock, all small blocks AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

The Red sided vega in the pic is a recreation and runs on the nostalgia circuit, hence the engine being a bit newer.

Thanks for the clarification(s) , @Snake45 and @Daddyfink

On 5/21/2020 at 10:21 PM, Roncla said:

I can't find any information about it  it on  American websites yet.

Tower Hobbies has it listed as an August 2020 release, so it should be widely available by September or so.

• 2 weeks later...

1972 Chevy Vega Pro Stock "Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins"

Item Number: MPC877
Scale: 1:25
*Expected by: 8/15/2020
MSRP: $31.99
Price: $29.95

Qty:
Coming Mid-August 2020
Manufacturer: MPC Model Kits

MPC 1/25 1972 Chevy Vega Pro Stock/Bill Grumpy Jenkins

Tower Stock# MPCS1025  •  Manufacturer Stock# MPC877
MPC - MPCS1025 MPCMPC877 MPC877 849398043127 0849398043127
MPC 1/25 1972 Chevy Vega Pro Stock/Bill Grumpy Jenkins (large view)

Early Aug

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Mike W, did you build this one?:

grumpyvega1.jpg.561ecb9147721349226c53b2857956b3.jpg

Yes.

FYI-the red section on the upper body is included on the decal sheet, but I chose to paint that area.  

Here's a pic of the unused decals to give you an idea of what is included.

zzz.JPG

46 minutes ago, pack rat said:

FYI-the red section on the upper body is included on the decal sheet, but I chose to paint that area.

Nice work as usual. ?

I was wondering how you go the decal to snuggle down into those C-pillar 'vent' grooves so well. ?

Based on the test shots I saw at the final "Toledo" show last year, the kits will include two hoods.  The one from the original kit, and a new one with a snorkel scoop.  There will be an add-on piece for the back of the original hood's molded-in scoop also, if I remember right.

With the 1:1 cars, the early body style could work with either style scoop.  The slanted nose '74-up cars had to have the snorkel style, as the slanted nose would push air over the top of the opening on the earlier scoop.

• 1 month later...