Model Cars Magazine Forum

Academy - Ferrari 250LM

89AKurt

Wait... nobody has built this kit?  It's been calling me from the stash, "build me, I'm an easy curbside, don't even think about putting an engine, transaxle, suspension in because you'll never finish."  I searched and found nothing.

1 hour ago, Misha said:

It’s in my “to do” pile... Can’t wait to see your scheme for this one, it’s a bare canvas!

Cheers Misha

505DEC32-BB8B-499D-8CA2-4D7AF5A6096E.jpeg

Thanks for the picture.  My kit has drawings for the box art.   I got photo-etch hood latches, also have p-e wire & aluminum rim wheel set, but undecided about the wheels.  I'm just thinking out loud on this one.

2 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Wait... nobody has built this kit?  It's been calling me from the stash, "build me, I'm an easy curbside, don't even think about putting an engine, transaxle, suspension in because you'll never finish."  I searched and found nothing.

I have built it almost 20 years ago! Its ok kit , from what I remember.

http://italianhorses.net/Gallery/Plastic/Academy250LM/250lm.htm

I have this Acaday kit in waiting too. I'll be interested in seeing how this goes. Its a pretty basic kit, but I'm sure it'll look good with a careful build.

Interestingly for me, the 250LM was the first model car I ever built. A 1:32 scale one from Airfix. 

19 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

I have built it almost 20 years ago! Its ok kit , from what I remember.

http://italianhorses.net/Gallery/Plastic/Academy250LM/250lm.htm

Thanks.  That isn't on this forum, correct?

16 hours ago, beeRS said:

I have this Acaday kit in waiting too. I'll be interested in seeing how this goes. Its a pretty basic kit, but I'm sure it'll look good with a careful build.

Interestingly for me, the 250LM was the first model car I ever built. A 1:32 scale one from Airfix. 

You can build it before me.  One reason I started this thread was to bring out anyone who has, such as Alex.

One of these in the "long dormant project" pile - I started it about 30 years ago, found some research and started adding things like the missing window frames. Also glued in the rear brake ducts with a super glue that was to tough to tame... in other words, creating more work.  I keep thinking about digging it out and doing a quick build.  To my eyes, it looks good and doesn't really need a lot of the detailing that I was trying to do.  Maybe after a few other things clear the bench.

Alex, yours looks great.

Edited by Muncie

2 hours ago, Muncie said:

One of these in the "long dormant project" pile - I started it about 30 years ago, found some research and started adding things like the missing window frames. Also glued in the rear brake ducts with a super glue that was to tough to tame... in other words, creating more work.  I keep thinking about digging it out and doing a quick build.  To my eyes, it looks good and doesn't really need a lot of the detailing that I was trying to do.  Maybe after a few other things clear the bench.

Alex, yours looks great.

I never do that.  ?  Oh great, another detail I didn't notice. ?  Many of us are hot to build the latest kit, get it, then for some reason...... and decades later they are rare collectible and get looked at, then put back.  Talking about research, if I dare to put an engine in, need to know what the transaxle looks like.  But I am more likely to do a resto-rod.

I built one ages ago. It was a quick and easy build as I recall.  If I were doing it today I would replace the plastic wheels with either PE or 3D wheels.  I would also rescribe the panel line as they are quite shallow.

2094981490_Ferrari_250LM_1966_28_002.jpg.2ac65df10f920d89600b1b20be394d2a.jpg1026882502_Ferrari_250LM_1966_28_003.jpg.aec66e5021cb099c69d67c7018c6e76e.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

18 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Talking about research, if I dare to put an engine in, need to know what the transaxle looks like.  

If you do an engine and transaxle the Revell diecast 250LM has a decent transaxle which is unique to the 250LM.

Ferrari_250LM_1964_-screenshot_032.jpg.87ad3eefc374cc850403fa1e90ec51a3.jpg

19 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Hi Kurt, I did this kit a few years ago, here's the wip and finished car links:

[...] I thought it was a great kit, so I bought another one!

I swear that I searched before starting this topic, appreciate you posting!  *edit*  DUH, I posted on your finished topic. ?

5 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

If you do an engine and transaxle the Revell diecast 250LM has a decent transaxle which is unique to the 250LM.

[...]

Thank you.  Inboard disk brakes.

Edited by 89AKurt

Nice kit, really builds nice short nose standard car, looks great on the shelf. I've got one sitting in pile with a Drogo nosed resin body for the LM winner. Long before the MFH, and shape is dead on. 

For ages, only kit with decent outside laced front Borranis and passable RS5's. 

Gotta love a car this quick with tiny unvented discs inboard. Mounted just below and behind the exhaust. Brings back the joy of swapping discs and pads on an E-type. Shoot me. 

Don't go too nuts. I may have references but pale to Gary's. You really need to do a compilation Mr. M. 

On 5/25/2020 at 2:20 AM, Dann Tier said:

I'm gonna love this, Bud!!!

Don't get excited, I didn't really plan on building it this year.  But you never know.....

8 hours ago, keyser said:

Nice kit, really builds nice short nose standard car, looks great on the shelf. I've got one sitting in pile with a Drogo nosed resin body for the LM winner. Long before the MFH, and shape is dead on. 

For ages, only kit with decent outside laced front Borranis and passable RS5's. 

Gotta love a car this quick with tiny unvented discs inboard. Mounted just below and behind the exhaust. Brings back the joy of swapping discs and pads on an E-type. Shoot me. 

Don't go too nuts. I may have references but pale to Gary's. You really need to do a compilation Mr. M. 

Thanks for the information!  Funny about the brakes.  I have other projects to go nuts on, doing a slam dunk curbside will be a nice change of pace.

12 hours ago, djflyer said:

Are the Revell and Burago diecasts the same?

The Revell and the BBurago are not the same.  The biggest difference is the Revell has a separate piece for the hoop on the rear and a lot of other little differences.  Unfortunately I glued the rear bonnet shut on my BBurago so I can not see what the transaxle is like.  

Wait, I did find a BBurago 250LM and the transaxle is hidden under the spare tire.  I was able to get the tire off and the top of the transaxle is open.  The red is Revell and the blue is BBurago.

20200528_073903.jpg.6d2704dc4b662b79a19acdc93ab5654c.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes I'm dredging up this old topic. 🙄  This will be the third December when I wanted to start, AND FINISH another model for the year, looking at this kit.  I'm way over my head on two WIP, so didn't feel that would bust my slump.  I bought some new paint at the last contest, so wanted to try it out.  Here I go, trying to park my OCD that would doom another project.  Found Ultimatecarpage Ferrari 250 LM is a great source for pictures.

Glued the gauge pod to the dash, exhaust tips to the pipes, deck and scoop funnels to the body.  Needed to take a break. 😆  Getting those scoop parts glued in was a PITA, the worst area so far.  Shaved off the door latches, will clean up and glue back on after painting.  Shaved off the 3 latches, polished the photo-etch latches.  Thinking about the exhaust tips, use the same size, or go next size up steel tubing, then go level or tilt upward.
IMG_2975.thumb.jpg.6898748f546edd8adbd4401e4b2e1d55.jpg

Dremel used to open up the interior door panels, and the front grill.
IMG_2976.thumb.jpg.feb18db0e2b480f2c22e731663709fc2.jpg
Ferrari-250-LM-1038.jpeg.e6a4dc283b5277bc6a258ac68bb692f5.jpeg
Ferrari-250-LM-2683.jpg.c781e7f355eecb8406bd3322feeda3dc.jpg
Ferrari-250-LM-2687.jpg.465ac82c508b201910de0ba75b931cf7.jpg

I see each car has a different grill, ducts, and lights arrangement.  Some don't have the aluminum surround, some have black painted grill, I *had to* use some p-e grill.  Something else I will *have to* do, is vacuum-form the light covers, the kit parts are horrid.

First paint is attempting to get a crackle paint texture on the dash.
IMG_2978.thumb.jpg.7a44dcc06dfa8c969a452482f14bd964.jpg

Finding sink dips and putty work is being done.  Found some mirrors in the parts box, they aren't period correct but will look good.  Will use a shirt pin for the shift lever.  The rear window bulkhead shown in the instructions made no sense, there are no locating pins, so I figured that was asking for trouble.  Makes more sense to glue to the interior tub, so the interior can be painted as one, then the window can be glued on afterward.
IMG_2977.thumb.jpg.18eb8c481fbdd6294b6b0ca9cd3ed779.jpg

I'm not worried about duplicating one car, just want a decent looking model of this icon.  Could splurge on a MFH kit........ (and never build it)

19 hours ago, afx said:

What fun is a MFH kit with your scratch building skills.

I thought the whole point of exotic models was to avoid s-b.  🤔  I have the MFH Lusso kit, still not a slap together model.

17 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Looking good.  Thanks for sharing your progress.

Welcome!

23 minutes ago, beeRS said:

Great to see you back on this one. Those headlamp covers in the kit are indeed horrible!  I’ll be interested to see how you do the vac-formed replacements. I need to learn this trick. 

I've shown the process on other builds, but will still do so for this.  First off, I made the vacuum box.  I got a Mattel vac-form "machine" a long time ago, great for tiny toys, but never tried using it because it didn't suck much (that sounds like a bad pun).

I chased my tail with putty work tonight.