Model Cars Magazine Forum

MFH Porsche 917-43 hippie

So... After making a major mess of the rear engine cage, I finally got back on track. I have most of it complete. I just need to verify what color I need to paint it. I have photos of the restored car, and it’s black. I have wondered if the actual color was bare aluminum. If anyone knows that would be very helpful.

Thank you for looking 

Chris

0556D53E-8961-47BB-A3EE-9B5E048E9DAE.jpeg

7375EDCA-2562-4DBB-995C-9DC4722FC686.jpeg

Hi Chris,

I am fortunate to have several comprehensive historical books on the Porsche 917.  Two were authored in Germany. The "bible" on this car IMO was written by Walter Naher.  "Porsche 917, Archive and Works Catalogue".  575 pages with too many one of a kind pics of the cars developed and raced from 1968 to 1975. Unfortunately the book is out of print.  There are new copies available on Amazon.  They're $910. U.S. - and are printed in German/English.    The Hippie car was chassis 21.  It was part of the initial homologation (spelling?) of 25 cars that they produced to get them certified.  All pics of these cars being assembled and in various stages of construction show a matte black chassis.  Some chassis parts were left bare but the vast majority of the chassis was black. 

Your chassis assembly is just phenomenal.  This is going to look so cool when completed.  Keep her going man!    Cheers, Tim

Edited by Codi

4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Road and Track had a few 917 pics this month, that I thought might be useful...

Wrong car, obviously - but I thought of this build when I saw them!

E68009F2-32B3-4355-AEDE-19E52BFBCC0B.jpeg

BF4E3898-6C9A-428D-A0C9-2BFF5EF2C082.jpeg

7F2FDF22-37B2-4DFF-AA65-410DCDC33B77.jpeg

0BB942EC-0135-4453-ACF8-0BCBA1748BB4.jpeg

Thank you for the photos, I appreciate the thought! Any form of reference photos is always a great help.

On 5/25/2020 at 4:04 PM, Chris Smith said:

Not too much accomplished today, but I did manage to gather up most every part for step 1. I got them all dry fitted after some massaging with a file, drilled most of the holes. Now I need to wash parts, prime parts and hopefully the paint will arrive soon so I can get some color on these.

7528C70F-53D6-446E-8B8E-EBB27F237AC8.jpeg

Great job Chris! Just doing this took awhile. Model factory hiro parts demand attention. Every part on a mfh kit demands attention. I remember doing a part on the P4 and it took hours. This is why I made a appointment with my therapist before I start the 917/30. Tubes ahhhhh Tubes

345C83BF-56B6-431C-9045-720AAD8104C6.jpeg

Great looking build! I love 917s and the Hippie Livery cars are extra special IMHO.  I have a die cast of one, but it doesn't hold a candle to that kit. I have the book pictured above and the pictures show the paint to be more blue, but with a touch of purple to it. Hiro Boy has a Zero Paint version of that color that looks like a lot of the pictures I've seen.

Thank you, it’s going to get more interesting as I move forward. Not much going on at the moment. I ordered some epoxy paint for the frame, after talking to other people who have built this type of kit, the engine takes a little finessing to get it the frame. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to get some work done  today, I was able to squeeze the engine into the rear frame. Attached the gear box. The exhaust is complete, just need to do some weathering on it. Also got a couple of braces in as well. Now what I need to work on is the drive shafts and coils, and the rest of the chassis braces. 
This kit is a test of patience and perseverance. It’s coming along well, just hope I can keep it going ?

Thanks for looking 

Chris

387E142C-3D91-4791-BFB9-BDAB01DDDAFA.jpeg

130B7F1E-4379-48C9-8670-C30E3F803DB2.jpeg

B056CCEA-E474-4FEA-9493-68CEE4F0EAA7.jpeg

F3F5CC27-3DAC-4D8F-B927-5225C69369E1.jpeg

B09E9D17-DC71-4DD8-9E8B-235C66E3CDE7.jpeg

btw, I must correct myself Chris, it is obviously chassis number 43 not 21 as I noted earlier.  Chassis 21 was not a long tail even though it had the Hippie livery. The 43 being your long tail (the prettier of the 2 IMO).  The engine shots you have on this page of your thread show the coloration of the  injector & fan shroud I was referring to.  Unpainted fiberglass by the factory and the resin in the glass gives it that shade/coloration I believe.   Hope this helps. It REALLY is looking great.  You've made tremendous progress!   cheers, tim

Edited by Codi