Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968-71 Dodge Chargers

johnwitzke

I have been away for awhile and am in the process of starting back building a series of Dodge Charger R/T and Daytona's.  I have been busy getting all parts prepped for painting, building the engines, working on the interior seats (eliminating seams) removing all mold lines and pin release marks on ALL parts including the bodies, test fitting part making sure everything aligns properly, buying the factory paints, and doing a lot of research between a 440 car and a 426 Hemi car such adding the torque boxes to the chassis on the Hemi cars and difference in the exhaust.   All cars will have decals from Keith Marks and paint from MCW.  Here are cars that I have under construction.

1968 Charger R/T - LL1 Medium Dark Turquoise, no stripe, black interior, 4-speed no console, 426 Hemi, redline tires, painted wheels with dog dish hubcaps

1968 Charger R/T - Black, black vinyl roof, no stripe, black interior, 4-speed with console, 440 engine, whitewall tires, deluxe wheel covers (Bullet Car) - not shown

1969 Charger Daytona - R4 Charger Red, white wing & stripe, black interior 4-speed, no console, 426 Hemi, redline tires, painted wheels with dog dish hubcaps

1969 Charger Daytona - W1 White, red wing and stripe, red interior 4-speed with console, 440 engine, redline tires with styled wheels

1969 Charger R/T - A4 Silver, black vinyl roof, red stripe, black interior, 4-speed, no console, 426 Hemi, redline tires, painted wheels with dog dish hubcaps

1969 Charger R/T - B3 Ice Blue black stripe, blue interior, 4-speed no console, 440 engine, redline tires with styled wheels

1971 Charger R/T - B5 True Blue, stripe delete, B5 blue interior, bucket seats 4-speed no console, 426 Hemi, Ramcharger Hood, A54 painted front and rear bumpers, N42 bright exhaust tips, Goodyear polyglass w/l tires, painted wheels with dog dish hubcaps.     

20200523_202033_resized.jpg

20200523_202102_resized.jpg

20200523_202309_resized.jpg

20200523_202404_resized.jpg

20200523_202446_resized_1.jpg

20200523_202624_resized.jpg

The 1970 will be the final one that I do.  

Correct on the 1971 B5 hue being darker.  I actually prefer it over the earlier B5.  MCW has the correct shade and two bottle are on the way to me.  The 1971 is an interesting build.  I have collected parts from other kits to make this one a correct Hemi car.   For example the ramcharger hood, air cleaner and correct bazooka exhaust tips are from the 1971 Charger street machine kit, bucket seats are from Harts Parts, short 4-speed pistol grip shifter and body color sport mirror are from the Revell 1970 Cuda kit along with the exhaust resonators.  The 426 Hemi engine and rear axle are from the 1970 Charger kit, the Tuff steering wheel is from the 1971 GTX kit, steel wheels and dog dish hub caps are from Fireball Model Works, AMT Goodyear Polyglass W/L tires.  Finally, decals from Keith Marks.  I will need to scratch build the torque boxes for the chassis.

In addition to the Chargers, other Mopars I have waiting are the 1969 Dodge Super Bee A12 (haven't settled on a color yet), 1970 Hemi Cuda that will be Plum Crazy with steel wheels and dog dish hub caps, 4-speed no console, stripe delete, a 1970 Super Bee will be a Hemi car, 1967 Coronet 426 Hemi, redlines with dog dish hub caps (color?), 1970 Challenger T/A (haven't settled on a color yet.    

Edited by johnwitzke

13 hours ago, johnwitzke said:

The 1970 will be the final one that I do.  

Correct on the 1971 B5 hue being darker.  I actually prefer it over the earlier B5.  MCW has the correct shade and two bottle are on the way to me.  The 1971 is an interesting build.  I have collected parts from other kits to make this one a correct Hemi car.   For example the ramcharger hood, air cleaner and correct bazooka exhaust tips are from the 1971 Charger street machine kit, bucket seats are from Harts Parts, short 4-speed pistol grip shifter and body color sport mirror are from the Revell 1970 Cuda kit along with the exhaust resonators.  The 426 Hemi engine and rear axle are from the 1970 Charger kit, the Tuff steering wheel is from the 1971 GTX kit, steel wheels and dog dish hub caps are from Fireball Model Works, AMT Goodyear Polyglass W/L tires.  Finally, decals from Keith Marks.  I will need to scratch build the torque boxes for the chassis.

In addition to the Chargers, other Mopars I have waiting are the 1969 Dodge Super Bee A12 (haven't settled on a color yet), 1970 Hemi Cuda that will be Plum Crazy with steel wheels and dog dish hub caps, 4-speed no console, stripe delete, a 1970 Super Bee will be a Hemi car, 1967 Coronet 426 Hemi, redlines with dog dish hub caps (color?), 1970 Challenger T/A (haven't settled on a color yet.    

I noticed in your first list that the Daytona's don't have a vinyl top listed. All Daytona's and Super Birds have vinyl tops to hide the window plugs for the smaller rear windows on the factory cars. I recently got a 70 by accident, but I can't get into it. I just don't feel it. None of my favs ran it as a race car and only movie I can come up with is Dom's Charger from F and F. I may have to pass on it if I can't come up with a theme for it. lol

15 minutes ago, dwc43 said:

I noticed in your first list that the Daytona's don't have a vinyl top listed. All Daytona's and Super Birds have vinyl tops to hide the window plugs for the smaller rear windows on the factory cars.  

I'm pretty sure the vinyl top was just a Superbird thing.  Never seen a Daytona with one, the Daytona had the flush rear window like the '69 Charger 500.

NO Daytonas came factory with a vinyl top. BUT. there are at least one...maybe a couple more that had them dealer installed.  Same rule applies to the Charger 500.

Superbirds ALL came with factory installed vinyl tops.