Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm thinking about doing something like that with an old resin body. It's a '51 Chevy 2-door sedan with the post (or "B" pillar, I guess), just like that one. 

The resin body is very rough around the rocker panels, already looking like it's rusty/rotten.  So I thought it might save me some work to build it as an Extreme Patina gasser. 

8 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Definitely a street car.  No drag racer worth his salt would hang a 20 gallon fuel tank under the grille.

That's his cooler maybe. A little large for a radiator over flow. Maybe it is his only gas tank. 

15 hours ago, espo said:

That's his cooler maybe. A little large for a radiator over flow. Maybe it is his only gas tank. 

It probably is his only tank, and I'll bet when it is full it makes the handling pretty awkward.  However it is way too much for a racer and could be easily replaced with a traditional moon tank for looks and a regular tank in the original location for actual travel.

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I never did get the fuel tank hanging out front thing. Even as a kid I was concerned about hitting it.. and we make fun of Pintos!

I asked a Gasser owner why the fuel tank up front . Puts the fuel closer to the engine DAH !!!!

14 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

I asked a Gasser owner why the fuel tank up front . Puts the fuel closer to the engine DAH !!!!

I understand why on dedicated race cars, like funny cars... but not on street vehicles. I wonder if anyone can document an accident with one of these tanks

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I understand why on dedicated race cars, like funny cars... but not on street vehicles. I wonder if anyone can document an accident with one of these tanks

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Can't tell. But I hope he has a set of Wilwood Disc on all 4 corners.  

A theory and only that. As a vehicle accelerates the fluids tend to stay put for a moment as the vehicle moves forward. The fluids will gather toward the rear of what ever part of the vehicle contains them. Crankcase oil will collect toward the rear of the engine giving a rear sump pickup an advantage of always having oil to pump thru the engine. A majority of drag cars have a rear mounted fuel tank today and looking at these tanks you will notice the rear of the tank usually has a slight modification with a low spot and inside the tank the fuel pickup is located in this area for the same reason fuel will be their to pump to the engine. A front mounted tank like the picture may offer a similar advantage since the fuel would tend to collect in the rear of the tank and in turn would have a shorter distance to travel to the engine and the force of the acceleration may even help with the transfer of fuel to the engine. This type of fuel tank in these classes of drag racing would generally hold little more than 5 gal.   A theory, but also a possibility.  This particular tank and it's being mounted in this manor may be just a prop to give an appearance. The size and general shape of the tank resembles  fuel tanks I have seen used in drag boats. They would be mounted length wise and sometimes there would be one on each side of the boat.     

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Or it could leak oil as fast as my first VW Bug did when I got it. In that case, an oil tank mounted there would not be inappropriate.  :D

I remember having oil leaks from the push rod tubes. Found out later that the head bolts were working their way out of the engine case just enough that the tubes wouldn't seal. As I recall the case was trying to also part company with one another.   I later just had a pro VW/Porsche only shop build an engine for my Baja Bug. That thing was a kick in the head after that. 

My '62 Bug came with a clapped out '58 36-horse engine. Every seal in the thing was hard and crispy, including the front main (flywheel) seal. Little car had lots of other problems as well, like a bent front torsion-bar housing, but I was too inexperienced to know any better. She'd drip a quart out on the pavement in about 5 minutes. I bought a junkyard 40-horse and went through it (my first major mechanical work on anything), stuck some headers and a 2-barrel on it, and thought I was hot stuff. Before I was out of school, I'd swapped in a mildly warmed-over Porsche 356 SC engine, started winning autocross events, and the rest is history.   B)

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My '62 Bug came with a clapped out '58 36-horse engine. Every seal in the thing was hard and crispy, including the front main (flywheel) seal. Little car had lots of other problems as well, like a bent front torsion-bar housing, but I was too inexperienced to know any better. She'd drip a quart out on the pavement in about 5 minutes. I bought a junkyard 40-horse and went through it (my first major mechanical work on anything), stuck some headers and a 2-barrel on it, and thought I was hot stuff. Before I was out of school, I'd swapped in a mildly warmed-over Porsche 356 SC engine, started winning autocross events, and the rest is history.   B)

Yeah I hope the owner does something with this thing, There's a fine line between looking fast and going fast.

8 minutes ago, DonW said:

Yeah I hope the owner does something with this thing, There's a fine line between looking fast and going fast.

Speaking of patina racers...have you guys seen this thing? Guy tows a trailer to the races, kicks tail, then drives it home. The true meaning of "cool".