Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping Paint from Aluminum Wheels

I painted some Scale Motorsport Aluminum wheels using Tamiya Gray primer. It says it can be used on metal but some spots flaked off after I painted on the black while putting the tires on.

1. Did I use the wrong primer? If so what should I use?

2. How can I safely strip these wheels to start over?

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 minutes ago, Mike Young said:

They're metal, so you can get aggressive with a chemical strip. Acetone, paint stripper, etc.. Go to an auto parts store and get self etching primer.

I usually use 91% Alcohol to strip bodys. Wonder if that would be ok?

Give it a try, couldn't hurt.

The only thing that could damage the aluminum is anything with acids that could eat into the aluminum, like say, Easy Off oven cleaner. But then, I couldn't say if the oven cleaner would touch the primer. Although, I have read that people have used it to strip paint.

Many plastic-safe stripping solutions contain Lye (aka. caustic soda, Sodium Hydroxide).  Among them are Castrol Super Clean (or other similar "purple pond" cleaning solutions), and the original formula Easy Off Oven Cleaner spray.  Lye will attack and "eat" aluminum.  When in doubt read the fuc . . . um, fine label.

However if those wheels are all-metal, then any "regular" paint stripping solution designed for wood or metal will not affect aluminum.  So any commercial paint strippers will work (to be sure check their label). Of course alcohol and acetone will also work without damaging metal.  When in doubt, check the label.

These types of questions about stripping solutions for plastic and metal come up so often here (and there is also a lengthy thread about them on this site) that I'm surprised that every member of the forum doesn't have this info memorized (I do). :D Just a bit tired of repeating it.

Edited by peteski

37 minutes ago, peteski said:

Many plastic-safe stripping solutions contain Lye (aka. caustic soda, Sodium Hydroxide).  Among them are Castrol Super Clean (or other similar "purple pond" cleaning solutions), and the original formula Easy Off Oven Cleaner spray.  Lye will attack and "eat" aluminum. 

And make your whole house smell like rotten eggs in the bargain, too! :blink::lol:

NO EASY-OFF, SUPER CLEAN, OR ANYTHING ELSE WITH LYE/SODIUM HYDROXIDE ON ALUMINUM! EVER!!!

I think zinc-chromate primer was used on WWII aluminum aircraft to prevent corrosion.  For modeling application any automotive self-etching primer should adhere well to any metal (aluminum included).  Tamiya also makes a metal primer (which is transparent!).

Edited by peteski

Thanks Peter. I thought the Tamiya light gray primer would work but I was wrong. I had some of the automotive etching primer and should have used that.

I just saw a facebook post on the clear metal primer. I wonder if they will offer it in a spray can?

3 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

Thanks Peter. I thought the Tamiya light gray primer would work but I was wrong. I had some of the automotive etching primer and should have used that.

I just saw a facebook post on the clear metal primer. I wonder if they will offer it in a spray can?

Tamiya Clear metal primer is in a spray can.  At least that is how I bought mine several years ago. I had no idea it came in non-spray packaging.  I haven't tried mine yet.  Well, at least not for its intended purpose.  I put together an etched model airplane (nickel-silver) and sprayed the clear primer on it to protect it from tarnishing.

997_rd.jpg

Edited by peteski