Model Cars Magazine Forum

Very first time using an airbrush

Well gang I spent the morning practicing with my passche H with #3 needle so I got brave and started painting my KW W925 AMT kit and here’s my results. Please critique as this is the first time I’ve ever held an airbrush and I shot with pearl aztek white as my base coat and afterwards I’m gonna mask and do stripes. Mike

5CBBB877-2865-4936-B76E-8606800F1ADD.jpeg

4ABFD677-9F8F-4DFA-872F-4B7115D001B8.jpeg

FFE95750-7570-437B-8171-3A98A91C3BDA.jpeg

D7B92A82-8D39-421B-9095-B73D9D64DCA1.jpeg

F7655EF9-3103-4F67-8D5B-24F80D6C3819.jpeg

66E34EFC-91F9-4755-90F1-B7567A576740.jpeg

Pardon the dumb question - is that regular white or pearl white?  Either way, it's looking good.  

Whoops!  My bad.  Looks like you stated you used pearl white in the first post.  

Can't wait to see how this all comes out!

Edited by Monty

Looks to be a promising first airbrushed paint job. Nice even coverage.

If those are dust nibs in the paint as opposed to sitting on top of your paint job, a wet sanding (after it has fully cured) and another coat of paint should set things right. I usually wash the body or parts being painted with dish soap, go over it with some rubbing alcohol and make sure it is clean, dry and free of dust before shooting primer, color coats or clear coats. If dust or debris gets caught in your clear coat(s), a polishing kit can often times get things smooth enough that you'd never notice.

...and painting individual parts mocked up together as an assembly will usually help in getting good color match, good orientation of the metallics or pearls consistent between one panel and the next.

It looks like you got nice even coverage. No runs that I can see. There is definitely some kind of debris on the surface though. Is it dust settled on the surface after it’s dried, or is it stuck to the paint? If is is in the paint, try gman’s advice above.

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

It looks like you got nice even coverage. No runs that I can see. There is definitely some kind of debris on the surface though. Is it dust settled on the surface after it’s dried, or is it stuck to the paint? If is is in the paint, try gman’s advice above.

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I wet sanded early this am and shot another coat everything is great thanks guys. Mike