Model Cars Magazine Forum

'86 Wrangler Monte Carlo

Scale-Master

With the  Coca Cola 600 coming up today I was in the mood to build a Nascar kit.

It's a Starter resin kit.  Clean up wasn't too bad, it must have been an early issue as these kits tended to get a bit rough as the molds wore out through the production run.  I did some scribing on the hood, trunk and window frames and separated some of the molded in roll cage from the body.  The spoilers are brass.

QzZqXHJ.jpg

The interior is essentially one piece.  There is a steering wheel in the kit, and I'll add a shifter.

1jR8ABs.jpg

These kits are interesting in that they usually have the builder only paint one main body color and then decal the rest.  I'm going to "paint" this one that way.  Funny how the box is labeled as an '86 car but the decals are titled '87.

o8LJSAA.jpg

First one applied…

A2bIfr6.jpg

Thanks Trevor!  It's a nice break from "work" and the Lola.  Know how simplistic the kit is makes throwing it together guilt-free.

The interiors in these kits are very basic.  In this era the roll cage was fully cast in the body.  I used a shirt pin to make the shifter.  The rest is OOB.

BUzDerR.jpg

There is an article in one of the model mags about adding detail to one of there. Mag is from around 1990. Some of those are pretty nice kits some not so much. 1/43 Scale. I've always wanted to do one of the 87 T-birds just never could find one. You can do the Coors t-bird, decals are on various sheets. Nice work on the kit. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks guys.

I've written a few articles about building and detailing them too. 

I've been building 1/43rd scale cars for over 40 years and I used to make the parts for kits.  I was the lead caster at Precision Miniatures 1980-1983. 

I have the Coors T-bird kit (and many others of this era).  It was abruptly "discontinued" when Coors threatened to sue. 

We also printed up decals and gave them away so others could build them.  Turns out Coors could not stop us from giving the decals away, only selling them. 

1 hour ago, Scale-Master said:

Thanks guys.

I've written a few articles about building and detailing them too. 

I've been building 1/43rd scale cars for over 40 years and I used to make the parts for kits.  I was the lead caster at Precision Miniatures 1980-1983. 

I have the Coors T-bird kit (and many others of this era).  It was abruptly "discontinued" when Coors threatened to sue. 

We also printed up decals and gave them away so others could build them.  Turns out Coors could not stop us from giving the decals away, only selling them. 

Very interesting..

Thanks Chris!

All the decals are applied.  Some are layered, meaning a white image had to go down (and dry) before the yellow ones could be laid over and eyeball registered to them.  So a little extra dry time was required.  Fit is something that leaves a bit to be desired.  Typical for these kits of the era.

vZKhoUJ.jpg

usjqWWC.jpg