Model Cars Magazine Forum

V8 Engine Builds using Metal Colors

geordie

I'm looking for some inspiration ... would like to see some photos of V8's that have been painted in a variety of metallic, or metal color finishes.

For the Street Charger I am looking for an alternative to the orange colored hemi ... I want a  more race car vibe.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps I did not explain my request clearly enough ... I understand the 'normal' hemi' colors ... but I want to try something different ... painting the engine in a range of metal shade colors ... just looking for some inspiration photos to see if this is the direction that I want to go.

Thanks in advance.

There are aftermarket billet Hemis made from solid aluminum billet, so you mimic those.

The attached pic is of a SOHC Ford engine from a build I'm working on now. I used Testors Aluminum Plate.

You have to plan well with most metalizers though because they rub off. You can use clear varnish to keep it from doing that though, but it affects the finish.

Fairlane Gasser Mockup Engine.jpg

I literally just did this with the engine in my '58 Edsel project. The block, heads and transmission are painted with Mica Silver. The pulleys are painted Dupli Color Stainless Steel. The intake and cam covers are painted with Tamiya Gun Metal. Headers are painted with Plasti Kote Aluminum.

20200525_114537-1.jpg.e0171f6886b0ba99b586caebd4b49950.jpg

20200525_114551-1.jpg.28b7958a8a284d616b28639d804be501.jpg

20200525_114833-1.jpg.633f9ae798a875423d4e4072ec782da8.jpg

I was a little concerned about how it would look in the engine bay. But, when I stuck it in, I am really happy with how it looks. I definitely want to do another engine in a similar, if not the same manner. 

I'm a factory stock guy myself, but you really can't beat Alclad paints for their metal finishes.

While the engines in these photos are painted various colors, most of the metal parts are painted with varying  Alclad metallic colors.

There are a ton to choose from.

2v29dhAk8xwUbWP.jpg

2v2JUcV24xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EwZtnMxwUbWP.jpg

2v2HH1vnqxwUbWP.jpg

2v2Eqo2snxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

Beautiful showroom stock motors, Steve. I'm a huge fan of that modeling discipline, something I fear I will never have the self control and skill to attempt.

I build hot rod and drag racing subjects and I tend to use metalizer paints a lot. I frequently strip kit chrome and substitute metallic paints for what I hope is a more realistic effect. Here are a few examples.

The Revell Slingster from a few years with an upgraded version of the kit hemi. The stock valve covers were foiled and the scoop is kit chrome from a Revell Pontiac V8 Parts Pack. But the rest is entirely various shades of Testors Metalizer paints except for the headers which are polished aluminum tubing.

DSCF2950-web.jpg
DSCF2945-web.jpg

Another Chrysler Hemi, this time injected from a Willys Resto-Mod. Black block and all metalizer finishes excepting the aluminum injector stacks.

DSCF2369-web.jpg
DSCF2363-web.jpg

A big block Chevy in a dirt track modified. I don’t have a closeup of the motor but I always liked this one because it looked realistic nestled in the chassis. Chevy orange block and metalizers throughout.

DSCF3691-web.jpg

This is an example of “full dress” V8 Ford Flathead from a Deuce roadster I recently finished. This is unusual for me because there’s a lot of kit chrome, although I also used various washes to highlight detail and knock back the shine a little.

DSCF7644-web.jpg
DSCF7645-web.jpg

And lastly a fairly unusual combination, a Revell Parts Pack Pontiac V8 with a Revell Parts Pack Chevy Potvin blower setup adapted to it. This motor has never been installed in the car, a what-if salt flats version of the Club De Mer, but is displayed with it as a set. It’s another “showboat” full-dress motor so there’s some kit chrome but also a lot of metalizer work.

DSCF5410-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron