Model Cars Magazine Forum

'63 1/2 Ford Galaxie 500xl

minkos

'63 1/2 Ford Galaxie 500 XL in Raven Black with the Trim No. 83 interior.  This was mostly from the AMT Millenium kit except for the bumpers, which came from a Prestige version since the plating on the Millenium bumpers rubbed off simply by handling them a few times.  Hope AMT re-introduces the G A L A X I E trunk lid letters on their upcoming reissue.  

IMG_4020 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4030 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4035 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3991 - Copy.JPG

Looks great, one of my favourite colours on a Galaxie! The AMT kit never had the trunk lettering engraved (the convertible and formal-roof hardtop promo did have it), but the new issue will have the lettering provided on the decal sheet.

2 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Looks great, one of my favourite colours on a Galaxie! The AMT kit never had the trunk lettering engraved (the convertible and formal-roof hardtop promo did have it), but the new issue will have the lettering provided on the decal sheet.

That’s better than having no letters at all. The Brannan Thunderbolt has nice “FORD” block letters on the decal sheet. I’ve been sanding the letters off the trunk, and using the decals instead, with my TBolt builds. 
Sorry to get off topic. My apologies to Mark. 
You did one heck of a good job building this Galaxie. 

Thanks Tom.  Not having the trunk lid letters was somewhat of a drag.  My annual AMT kit of the ‘63 Galaxie convertible has the trunk lid letters.  I’m glad the new reissue will have the decal.

Nice build.
I have a real one...not in that color tho' as mine is in Chestnut Poly...and this old model kit has lots to desire when it comes to accuracy...it's not only the missing trunk letters but in several places like the interior wich is a XL but for a convertible, and some other things here and there.

Edited by Force