Model Cars Magazine Forum

XR-6

RancheroSteve

Whew, finally done! My attempt to build a more detailed and accurate XR-6.

Thanks again to those who sent parts and offered encouragement over the many years it took to get this done.

576 XR6 RF

729 XR6 LR

569 XR6 LF

735 XR6 RF open

Hope you like it - questions and comments welcome.

Build thread here:

beautifully built. The color and paint are great and I like all the engine detailing also. I remember when they were building the 1:1 and I always thought it was a well laid out little car.   

Congratulations on the completion of your XR-6. Looks wonderful especially the engine. This car intrigued me when it appeared in Hot Rod and even more when the model kit came out. I may have had the kit as a kid but I know I never built an XR-6.

3 hours ago, alexis said:

For as many of those Model T Touring/XR Double kits that AMT sold, You almost never see the little XR-6 Rod built. You did tremendous Work dragging that one across the line.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

It's actually not that hard of a kit to build, especially for something with a multi-part body, but that may have intimidated some builders at the time. I'd certainly say it would be easier for a kid to build than the highly detailed and fiddly Revell kits of that era. I think it's remembered (if at all) for its place in history rather than being a pinnacle of styling - I consider it weird, but interesting. Add to that it was only issued one time.

Of course, I had to go and make it more difficult, by starting with a gluebomb, then deciding to correct some of the inaccuracies of the kit, and adding extra detail.

• 2 weeks later...