Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi EM Porsche Rally

I bought this a looooong time ago. Pre internet so I was using the instruction paint guide.  Started it when my skills were pretty basic.  I thought I could do it.  I was wrong.  So it has been partially built and the taken apart to paint correctly.  

This time, I got it out and evaluated.  Decided to just carry on with what I had started instead of trying to repaint the entire unibody.  I was missing some rear suspension parts also.  

In the photos, I forgot the side mirror and exhaust tip.  I'll do those later but this is pretty much it.  It's ROUGH.  But looks okay from a distance.  Doesn't really for work my current collection, so not sure it will even get displayed for very long.  

If building an EM kit now, take advantage of the internet to get your paint correct.  And take your time.  Lots of parts that have to go together correctly for it to all work.  Be patient. 

It's rough but it's done.  

IMG_20200525_173228656_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200525_173220360_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200525_173209747_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200525_173212791_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200525_173153222.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Mine has been sitting in the box in the same condition yours was. Only difference is you got yours done and it turned out to be a decent model. Thanks for letting me know it can be done. 

Yep, I can FiNALLY say it is done.  I really do like the EM kits, but they are not for the faint of heart and skills.   I might have been better to leave the hood in place.  The hood doesn't fit in the opening as nicely as it could.   But all that detail begs to be accessible.  But I'll never open it up after it is complete.   You can see I had some issues with mating the body at the front.   That could be because of the placement of the rear bumper, which I glued in when I worked on it first time?   I did have to do some grinding with the moto tool to get it where it sits now.  

Scribe the panel lines deeper.  I did, but then my paint bubbled up in the lines and I just wasn't willing to fool with it any more than I did.   This is Rusto 2x white straight from the can.  A little too heavy.  

I'll say it again - an EM kit has to be built carefully to get it to all work together.

GEt your inspiration on and push to the finish line.

If you decide to take on another build of the Porsche EM kit I like to glue the front and rear bumpers to the body before I paint.  I then trim the rear chassis pins just a little to allow me to stretch the body over the chassis and clip it in place.

DSCN5539DSCN5565

Edited by afx
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips guys. Appreciate it. This won't be my first trip around the block for a Fujimi EM Porsche. The problem with mine is the paint, a special mix of pearl and white, has flaked off in spots. When I get disgusted with a project it has a habit of sitting, in this case 20yrs. I know I will have to strip it sooner or later. But when i see a post like Randy's the inspiration to dig it our sooner sets in. Thanks again. 

7 hours ago, randyc said:

Yep, I can FiNALLY say it is done.  I really do like the EM kits, but they are not for the faint of heart and skills.   I might have been better to leave the hood in place.  The hood doesn't fit in the opening as nicely as it could.   But all that detail begs to be accessible.  But I'll never open it up after it is complete.   You can see I had some issues with mating the body at the front.   That could be because of the placement of the rear bumper, which I glued in when I worked on it first time?   I did have to do some grinding with the moto tool to get it where it sits now.  

Scribe the panel lines deeper.  I did, but then my paint bubbled up in the lines and I just wasn't willing to fool with it any more than I did.   This is Rusto 2x white straight from the can.  A little too heavy.  

I'll say it again - an EM kit has to be built carefully to get it to all work together.

GEt your inspiration on and push to the finish line.

thanks Randy and JC...see comment below. 

Fujimi  Enthusiast series is a favorite, and love this subject! Don't recall seeing the kit before.  Huge hurdle for anyone is finishing.  If you strategically "weather" it, can cover the rough spots, look for some pictures of the real car during the rally.

19 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Fujimi  Enthusiast series is a favorite, and love this subject! Don't recall seeing the kit before.  Huge hurdle for anyone is finishing.  If you strategically "weather" it, can cover the rough spots, look for some pictures of the real car during the rally.

I thought about doing that.  I did a Rally Corolla (I think) years ago and weathered it up.   Sold it last year for reasonable price.   I thought about that for this one.  But that can involve some handlining that I didn't want to do and increase my chances of undoing the work I put in to finish.  My oldest son said he'd love to have it so I put it in a display case and it will go home with him soon.  

As for the kit, I bought it a LOOONG time ago.   It has a sticker on the front of box from a US distributor I guess.   But it's been around a while.  I think the copyrights is around 1986, but I'm certain I probably bought it in the 90s when I had a real job and spent too much on models every week.  Or might have found it on clearance at a hobby shop.  I have no idea.   It's been through a lot of moves.  

I would love to build another for someone else.   I'd build any EM kit for someone else.  They just don't fit with my collection for me to build on my own.

I thought about buying another to start fresh with, but they are around $90 on the bay before shipping.   Can't justify that in any way.   So this is where I ended up.   I'd say that wasn't the most popular one they ever did?