Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, it's been quite a while since I've done anything with this project. I started back on it since I belong to a model Square Body site on FB and they are having a build-off. I know I won't finish it in the short timeline they have set but it gives me incentive to work on it.

I have shot a quick coat of primer on the body to see that I am extremely far from done with  bodywork. I also cut out the center of the bed and scratched a modified rear frame section to give me the clearance I need to install airbags and finish the suspension. Here is where I am at after working most of the day on it today.

Later-

20220607_153707.jpg

20220607_153728.jpg

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Real nice custom you have going on sir!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, espo said:

Glad to see this one getting some attention again. 

Thanks! Me too.

2 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Finally.... 😁 

Bite me.....lol 🤪

Later-

• 2 weeks later...

Did some clean up to the body last night to get the fenders smooth and identical, one side to the other. Also started the framework for the rear airbags and narrowed the front track just a tad. Not much as far as difference in photos from before but a solid 4 hours of work put in last night. I think I have settled on a body color but not certain yet. Still a lot of work to be done. 

I tried to take some pics that showed off the shape of the body a bit more but not sure it worked.

Later-

20220620_213925.jpg

20220620_214407.jpg

20220620_214344.jpg

20220620_234727.jpg

20220620_234700.jpg

20220620_234620.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vintage AMT said:

Classic...love it!!

I think Tom is more of an antique than a classic.   🤣 

3 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I tried to take some pics that showed off the shape of the body a bit more but not sure it worked.

Did you try the mirror.  😁 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dug through my paints today and came up with this Dupli-Color Perfect Match Toyota paint. I don't know what the color name is since I no longer have the cap and Dupli-Color was only kind enough to print the color name on the cap. It is a light metallic gold.

I don't yet know if this will be the final color or if it will be a base for something else.

Later-

20220629_105242.jpg

20220629_105319.jpg

I'm thinking of adding lower body trim and doing this in the tab and root beer on the bottom similar to this pickup. So, I dug through my strip styrene and ame up with enough of two types that will work to make side trim.

Later-

Screenshot_20220628-174042_Google.jpg

Edited by Modlbldr

I think I'm going with a two tone paint. The light gold will be the main color and root beer for the bottom and the roof. I got the side trim made tonight for the passenger side. Made of U channel with a thin, flat strip inside the chanel.

Later-

20220630_210403.jpg

20220630_215443.jpg

20220630_215500.jpg

Just stumbled on this build looking for ideas for the same kit. Pretty cool thoughts on the wide body modification and I actually think is a great idea. I do have one observation about it and please do not take it as criticism. The thing that kinda bugs me is the difference in widening of the truck. The front was widened at the top of the fenders whereas the bed was done at the body line. I guess I like things too symmetrical. In my eye it looks as if it has a Doge Ram bed.

Keep 'er going, I am sure the finished product is gonna be sharp, I am especially diggin' the 2 tone color choices   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sledsel said:

The thing that kinda bugs me is the difference in widening of the truck. The front was widened at the top of the fenders whereas the bed was done at the body line. I guess I like things too symmetrical. In my eye it looks as if it has a Doge Ram bed.

Sledsel- 

Definitely not taken as a criticism. I appreciate the input. I never even realized that I had done it differently from one to the other. Isn't that strange that I didn't? Now I'm thinking about trying it on another kit to see which I like better. 

You're correct that the bed does look like a Dodge bed now. Never realized that either.... Thanks again for the input!

Later-

59 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Sledsel- 

Definitely not taken as a criticism. I appreciate the input. I never even realized that I had done it differently from one to the other. Isn't that strange that I didn't? Now I'm thinking about trying it on another kit to see which I like better. 

You're correct that the bed does look like a Dodge bed now. Never realized that either.... Thanks again for the input!

Later-

I am glad you did not take it the wrong way.

Since it is not finished, maybe grab another kit and do it opposite then you have 2 wide bodies, each different.

Another thought for suspension that could work well (only cuz I am considering it) is an AMT NASCAR truck chassis. Reasonably priced and gets it low and is detailed. Just my 2 cents.  

3 hours ago, Sledsel said:

I am glad you did not take it the wrong way.

Since it is not finished, maybe grab another kit and do it opposite then you have 2 wide bodies, each different.

Another thought for suspension that could work well (only cuz I am considering it) is an AMT NASCAR truck chassis. Reasonably priced and gets it low and is detailed. Just my 2 cents.  

Good ideas. I always liked those NASCAR trucks and had a couple, but never built them. I did use a NASCAR suspension on a 64 Chevy pickup. Definitely gets it low with little to no mods.

2 hours ago, espo said:

The body moldings look great and the way you're using the inset in the U channel will make detailing the chrome edges look even better. 

Thanks. Glad you're liking it.

Later-