Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty RR

George Bojaciuk

Looks, awesome, but i'm having trouble wrapping my head around the scratchbuilt statement. Doesn't some one make this model in 1/16 scale so you shoudn't have to scratch build it?  Maybe i'm just cofused ,as usual.

19 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

MPC did a Charger. This is a Satellite.

Ok, now I get it, but did Petty actually drive a satellite  in 1973?  I thought he was all charger by then. That must have cost a lot to to make a resin of.

Petty drove a Road Runner until May 7th when he switched to the Charger for the Winston 500. He then used the Charger for Superspeedway races and the Road Runner for the short track races for the rest of the year. Chrysler officially stopped factory backing to the teams that year but did supply technical and engine development services until 1978 when Petty switched to GM.

Edited by Vietnam Vet67
addition of info.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a video on Youtube yesterday called "petty Blue".   I think it was a CMT documentary.   I saved it for later.   I do like things like that.   Petty said in one book I read that htey used to just dig a big hole and bury the cars.   Including one of the superbirds.