Model Cars Magazine Forum

Epic Ad Fail, eBay...

An eBay ad keeps running at top of my display.  It's advertising a Yodel '77 Dodge Monaco CHP, described as "RARE! UGLY!"  But when I click on the ad, eBay tells me that the kit is already sold.

Well, I sorta know that, eBay.  It was MY KIT and it sold earlier today as a "Buy It Now." ???

The "Ugly" was a reference to the box, which is ugly.  Dirty, beat-up and worn. The kit's fine though, and should be shipped out to its new owner tomorrow.

Maybe I should be grateful that eBay isn't identifying me from my posts in here. 

I like the ads 'check out the newly listed vintage Lionel trains'. 

The photo is  of a yet to be released N scale locomotive.

That's like saying 'check out the vintage Buddy L' and showing a new AMT 1/32 scale Avanti kit....

clueless......

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

What qualifies this as "epic"? That catchphrase has been overused and its meaningful definition and correct application are now obscured.

So  you are saying that there is an epic overuse of the word "epic"?  :D

9 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

What qualifies this as "epic"? That catchphrase has been overused and its meaningful definition and correct application are now obscured.

That's true of about 25% of the English language at the moment. Word abuse has grown exponentially in recent years. :lol:

47 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I don't understand the problem in the first place Mike. What is this all about? 

Not a problem.  I just thought it was funny that eBay was trying to sell my own item to me.  An item that had already sold, no less.

My own Word Of The Day:

ped·ant
/ˈpednt/

noun
noun: pedant; plural noun: pedants
  1. a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

44 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Not a problem.  I just thought it was funny that eBay was trying to sell my own item to me.  An item that had already sold, no less.

My own Word Of The Day:

ped·ant
/ˈpednt/

noun
  1. a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

You just epically decimated him. 

(Not Scott. Sfan, to be transparent)

Edited by keyser
clarification

11 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

It is what it is. Here we are. 

"So let's do this. Wheels up at 06:00. Lock and load."

"Sir, this is a coffee shop. You sound like a movie cliche tough guy".

"Well, it's as close as I'll ever get to say cool things like this in reality here in the hood".

"Uh...sir...this is Beverly Hills".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

54 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

"...let's do this."

Doug Marcaida of Forged in Fire seems incapable of testing a knife unless he's said this first. Maybe it's in his contract. (Maybe he's sponsored by Home Depot?):lol:

(BTW, he's got a sense of humor. His catchphrase is "It will kill," and in the first few seasons, he'd say it just like anyone else would. But somewhere along the line people started picking this up as "It will keel" or "It will keeeeel" or even "It weel keeeeel" and now about half the time, he delivers the line like that, with a big smile. Gotta love a guy who can laugh at himself.) B)

1 hour ago, keyser said:

You just epically decimated him. 

(Not Scott. Sfan, to be transparent)

Think so? In order to be pedantic, one must exhibit a tendency to show off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way, which neither my question or comment do. I wanted to know what qualifies the ad as "epic". Pretty straightforward question, I'd say.

Guess, like your other post, you don’t have humor, google that up yourself. 
My response to a funny pedantic reference (which it was, not just fancy book-larnin’) was also containing same word that started your defensiveness, misused as humor. 
Decimated has become to mean destroyed, when it means reduced by tenth. 
Original post was funny. Sorry you’re so unhappy. At least you’re not epically so. 

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

ped·ant

/ˈpednt/

noun

I learn something new everyday. I have been misusing the word "Anal". 

39 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

I learn something new everyday. I have been misusing the word "Anal". 

Here's a new way to use it--when referring to "legal analysts" on network TV. It's all in the pronunciation! :lol:

Empty "thoughts and prayers" to all. Really? Vacuous and cloying at the same time. Meaningless anymore. 

Not a single daily mutter about each days losses, now above 100k here. Truly sorrow for those who died, and those they left. 

Correct usage sample: "Epically stupid not taking precautions to avoid spread of 'not-just-the-flu'."  (As a fun example for the pedants of quotes)

Like alternative facts. Que??

But, it's all good. 

Edited by keyser
snake has a point.