Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevy Pro Shop

jsc

While the kit feels good and solid, my first issue was with the ride height.  I just couldn't get the frame to snuggle in where it is supposed to in front.  With glue and clamps I finally got it down. 

model5.jpg

Model1.jpg

I built one Box Stock when it first came out. I really need to do another but there are so many other kits I want to build also. I thought it went together well and was a nicely detailed kit to start with. The motor mounts are a little frustrating since each mount is two pieces and I would suggest "pinning" them for strength and ease of mounting. The trunk area over the differential where the upper shocks mount are a visual issue. On the underside of the chassis and body are fine, but if you don't want them to show on the inside of the trunk floor I'd suggest shortening the top shock mounting pin so it doesn't show in the trunk. There are plenty of on line photos of the real car if you question something on appearance. The hard part is finding one that hasn't been modified in some way. I look forward to seeing your build on this kit. 

9 hours ago, jsc said:

I really don't like the wheels, either.  And there's no way to paint the trim rings easily.  

And it doesn't really help much anyway, the still look kind of weird. I think if I wanted the stock hubcaps, I'd steal a set out of the original AMT 57, but I never really liked those wheel covers much.

17 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Go Torq Thrust..... ?? The ones from the '62 AMT Impala kits should work..... I hope!... ?

I've got another '57 Nomad that has Torq Thursts.  I really like the look, but just wanted to keep this one as stock as possible.  

Just a suggestion on the photo etched grill. The grills for the Bel Airs only had a flat gold color much like the "V" hood and trunk trim along with the CHEVROLET letters, the 3 gills on the front fenders, and the Bel Air and emblem in the rear polish aluminum area.  This just depends on the look you're going for. Your build looks very nice.