Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got some new/different masking tape the other day and wanted to try it out , so I got out a KW cab and had at it. I kinda like how it’s turning out. Don’t know how much will get done from here on in seeing as how the weather has finally come around, but we will see. The plans are to use a grill and tires from double take replicas, and a couple of moebius steer tires.

661D12CA-54C5-479C-A5AF-8E5DE23C139A.jpeg

7D44A6FC-C93F-42FD-927A-F7D149DC3916.jpeg

1FAA4683-5CC7-41D6-B6D6-892320C9B9C3.jpeg

3741AB75-965E-4D58-AC37-A6CF194C2D78.jpeg

• 5 months later...

So this build has hit the bench again, I have the frame pretty much done, and a lot of parts in the chrome stripping stage. I also decided to try building a matching trailer, time will tell how the paint job on that works out......

91A17D9B-87A7-479D-A259-14E057F64550.jpeg

28F34D4B-5312-47E7-B2EC-2F33AF6E7AFE.jpeg

E1FB5523-B385-4AC9-B05E-ED36925D1139.jpeg

Nice job Tom. I will be starting mine over the Winter and painting it in the Spring. Could use some tips on getting the frame/rear suspension completely straight, and the interior in the sleeper area where the shelving sits against the  curtain, and getting glass in perfectly. If you can assist I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks all, slowly making progress on this project. As usual though, I thought I had enough paint, but need to get some lime ice to do the trailer stripes , it’s always something, haha. 

Jerry, the way I do the frame /suspension is pretty straight forward. I glue all the crossmembers to one side ( I use testors liquid glue currently), then to the other frame rail before the glue totally sets up, this gives me the option to tweak it if need be to get it flat/straight. Once that’s all dry/cured,  the suspension springs get glued on, once that’s dry, I build the rear diffs and get all the mounting hardware ready, along with the driveshaft that goes between the diffs, I glue the diff shackles to the beam, and while still flexible, glue the rear diff in place, then do the same with the front diff, I pretty much use the driveshaft to determine my ‘level’. It seems like a lot, but you have enough time to cram all this in before the glue really sets. Hope this helps some.

I went with alpine green on the motor to keep with the green theme. Also got the trailer aluminum bits painted, and masks off for the first color, stay tuned......

B8192A10-25C9-4200-904C-5C9A3F81F65D.jpeg

F7034CA9-CD1D-41D3-B9B7-CD5B5FE36AC7.jpeg

3 hours ago, tbill said:

Thanks all, slowly making progress on this project. As usual though, I thought I had enough paint, but need to get some lime ice to do the trailer stripes , it’s always something, haha. 

Jerry, the way I do the frame /suspension is pretty straight forward. I glue all the crossmembers to one side ( I use testors liquid glue currently), then to the other frame rail before the glue totally sets up, this gives me the option to tweak it if need be to get it flat/straight. Once that’s all dry/cured,  the suspension springs get glued on, once that’s dry, I build the rear diffs and get all the mounting hardware ready, along with the driveshaft that goes between the diffs, I glue the diff shackles to the beam, and while still flexible, glue the rear diff in place, then do the same with the front diff, I pretty much use the driveshaft to determine my ‘level’. It seems like a lot, but you have enough time to cram all this in before the glue really sets. Hope this helps some.

I went with alpine green on the motor to keep with the green theme. Also got the trailer aluminum bits painted, and masks off for the first color, stay tuned......

B8192A10-25C9-4200-904C-5C9A3F81F65D.jpeg

F7034CA9-CD1D-41D3-B9B7-CD5B5FE36AC7.jpeg

Thanks Tom I really appreciate the tips. I will follow what stated. 

• 2 weeks later...