Model Cars Magazine Forum

`Radicool` 64 Lowrider ! !

Lowlife ! !

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

It's going to be incredible to see it function when completed, but still look like a car when everything's closed.

Is there anything like this at 1:1?

Thanks Nigel 

I've got to admit, it's built to be displayed 'opened up'  so not all of the panels will close . If you look at the door hinge they are designed to be removable mainly ( for painting, or transporting when it's finished )  but won't close flush.

Sorry if that's a disappointment but I'm not going to pretend it's perfect !

Yes , there were some crazy builds like this in 1:1,  but it's a lot more subtle these days !

And cheers Sonny, wish I could just stick to an OOB build like your BMW  sometimes, but it's fun getting carried away with a project isn't it !  I'm sure your next one will be crazy detailed again !

Edited by Lowlife ! !

13 minutes ago, Lowlife ! ! said:

Thanks Nigel 

I've got to admit, it's built to be displayed 'opened up'  so not all of the panels will close . If you look at the door hinge they are designed to be removable mainly ( for painting, or transporting when it's finished )  but won't close flush.

Sorry if that's a disappointment but I'm not going to pretend it's perfect !

No disappointment here! ?

8 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

It's going to be incredible to see it function when completed, but still look like a car when everything's closed.

Is there anything like this at 1:1?

This would probably be it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLSi7LMkOPk

It's called Alien Toy, and was built by a couple of guys in Mexico a few years back. The video is 10 minutes long, and very artsy. The clear shots of it start around the 2 minute mark.

The first time I saw it in action was in the Fat Boy Slim video "Rockafeller Skank" at about 50 seconds for 15 seconds or so. Just preceding that is about 30 seconds of a boattail Riviera being driven.

On 7/3/2020 at 5:37 PM, SSNJim said:

This would probably be it:

It's called Alien Toy, and was built by a couple of guys in Mexico a few years back. The video is 10 minutes long, and very artsy. The clear shots of it start around the 2 minute mark

I forgot about Alien Toy...The first time I saw the nose drive away, my jaw dropped

Thanks for posting that Jim, crazy truck eh ?

Alien Toy is an extreme demonstration of hydraulics,  but would compete in bed dance competitions, similar to hopping contests.

These are usually hydraulic shop demo vehicles, no engine, interior etc.

A few of these ideas make it into radical show cars , not always a driver , but a complete car  !

I just like these style of cars, as crazy as you can imagine with every inch painted, chromed or polished !

I realise it's not everybody's favorite style, so thanks for following/commenting i appreciate it ! 

Edited by Lowlife ! !

You're welcome. I first saw it in the music video, and had no idea it wasn't a driver until I saw the youtube video. Either way, it is a pretty spectacular vehicle. That's kind of where I was thinking you were going with this. I'm following along. Very nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys !

PROGRESS ! Finally !

Just got the chassis and engine in paint, and i swear its un-photographable ! ! 
EVERY picture looks like a different colour, its driving me crazy !

Sooo.. ive tried a video instead, and it still looks dark ( the paint is more similar to the above blue ! )

But i love it !

A couple of coats of white primer, 3 of electric blue, 8/9 coats of flake and around 6 coats of clear !
Luckily im thinning most paints, so its not that thick a coat on it !

Edited by Lowlife ! !

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Nigel...

i know i havent added much to this lately, been busy spraying mostly..
But im back on it now, and ive been parts chasing !  Everything chrome i can find, so far the engine has new front cover, sump, water pump, starter, fan and front pulleys in chrome. Need to wire it soon too.

Ive also been tryng to produce scale engraving for a while now,  and think ive finally got it !  New chrome card from a hobby shop works, some tear or rip the surface but this works !
Im using a tiny pointed file to `engrave` and the dots are made with wooden tooth picks ! These parts are almost hidden behing the grill, i`ll practice a bit more before producing more visible pieces !

Think its quite effective, and no i cant engrave 1:1 pieces this is all guess work ! !

What do you think ?

20200807_143939.jpg

Edited by Lowlife ! !
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

Ok so it's been quite a time eh ?

Was going through some model boxes recently and found this, and thought.... I've got to get it finished !

So I'm concentrating on finishing the chassis first, suspension, engine, wheels, exhaust etc 

Then back to the bodywork, paint and interior !

Adding lots of chrome and engraving, i should have pics up soon !!I

• Like 1

Bob, David, thanks guys !

Glad to be back on this , its all getting a bit crazy, but i guess thats the idea ! !
Basic suspension and engine together, adding engraving everywhere i can, but im going crossed eyed !
Got the cars name on the air cleaner too !
Also added p/e discs and chrome upper A arms, cut the standard Revell hubs apart and theres new chrome springs all round !
Wheels are tires are Pegasus chrome D`s...

More soon !

20230319_132428.jpg

20230319_132345.jpg

• Like 1